5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in bananas!
Published on November 28, 2010 by B. McLain

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay guide, not as good as others
Hi, I wanted to tell you that this Prima guide is okay at finding puzzle pieces and stuff, but not very good at how to beat villains. I have the Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario Bros. guides and they are much more useful. I am glad I got this as a gift. I am glad I did not use my own money.
Published on February 2, 2011

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in bananas!, November 28, 2010
This review is from: Donkey Kong Country Returns: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Official Game Guides) (Paperback)
This guide really should be sold in Cranky Kong's Shop. It's just that vital to getting through the 8+ worlds of Donkey Kong Country Returns. While I didn't really use the guide until after I had beaten the game and started going back to collect stuff, it's been worth its weight in bananas! As you will see in a minute though, this is the way the guide was meant to be used.
Although the guide isn't the traditional sort of guide. Which is to say it doesn't lead you by the hand through the tough obstacles of the game. It does a fabulous job of showing where all of the Puzzle Pieces, Hearts, Coins and Bonus Levels are located. It would have taken me ages to find some of this stuff without this guide's help.
The maps in the guide are great and serve as an easy way to pick out vital information visually while playing. Each K-O-N-G letter, puzzle piece and bonus level are clearly marked and numbered so you can go directly to the paragraph of information on the thing that you're trying to get, or in my case locate the nearest heart refill. XD
The guide also does a great job of explaining enemy tactics, and the controls for the game, which really helps. Bosses are covered almost in passing, but cursory techniques and strategies are covered, if ever so briefly.
The only negative that I can think of is that I would have liked a little more thorough description of boss fights and the mini levels that lead up to some boss fights. As well as some tips on Time-Attack challenges. But these are in no way deal breakers. If you are going to buy or have bought DKCR for yourself or someone else as a gift, I can guarantee they will enjoy having the guide as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Comeback!!!, December 30, 2010
I've been a fan of the Donkey Kong Country game series for years. And being an old school gamer, I cannot adjust to the 360-degree camera work of the newer games. Nintendo's got me again with DK Country Returns. Everything I loved about the original games - side-scrolling, characters, great graphics...plus new additions like playing in the mid- and background of the screen and moving from one to the other...action movie quality levels and challenges...and just loads of more FUN!

It's quite possibly the greatest adventure game series ever made. And Donkey Kong Country Returns is just another layer on the righteous cake! Five stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not necessary . ., December 29, 2010
Guide is good to have if you want to find all the puzzle pieces, get advice on how to beat particular enemies and bosses. There is a super guide within the game that you can use if you die a particular number of times in each level. That is just as helpful as a guide for clearing a level because it actually "plays through" and opens the level for you. It doesn't show you the hidden stuff but once you clear a level you can replay and take time to find it on your own. So if you are like me and want to find everything you may want to get the guide. If you are a skilled gamer you probably don't need this so save yourself the $$.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it, July 3, 2013
Again I bought this for the 6 and 10 year old that loves the game. They say that it helps them get thru the game easier

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay guide, not as good as others, February 2, 2011
A Kid's Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3, 2014
great thank you book as described ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2.0 out of 5 stars good and bad, February 14, 2014
S. Yorton (Mount Pleasant, MI) - See all my reviews
Perhaps my memory fails but I remembered the SNES guidebooks for previous Donkey Kong games to be more helpful. Sure, this'll show you where coins, etc. are but they just assume you're a super gamer here and don't offer tips on how to complete the more difficult sections. I don't remember being handed everything in previous DK Guides, but a little help for us casual, untalented gamers would have been appreciated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, two player is kind of annoying, February 4, 2014
I love the Wii and the Wii U, which will also play this, and it's a GORGEOUS game. But it's really a one player game. There is no advantage and a lot of disadvantages to playing Diddy separately when he can ride on DK's back and you can use his rocket pack. So as a one player game it's super fun but don't try the two player cause it just wastes all your balloons (lives).

4.0 out of 5 stars cheat book DK, May 19, 2013
Jill Kegler (RICE LAKE, WI, US) - See all my reviews
I loved playing this game when it 1st came out in the 80's. But there is no way i could win it now without help. And this book i ordered came in like new condition. i couldn't tell it had ever been open. I would use this company again when needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars donkey kong, May 4, 2013
its was a good book thought it was the game throught. tat what my son said tat what i get for listing to them lol.they like the book book they use its alot so all is good

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›