Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Donnie Baseball: The Definitive Biography of Don Mattingly Hardcover – March 1, 2011
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
About the Author
Mike Shalin is a 35-year sports journalism veteran who has worked for the the Boston Herald and the New York Post. He is now a freelance writer and an official scorer at Fenway Park. He is the coauthor of The 100 Best Players Not in the Baseball Hall of Fame, Gilles Villemure's Tales from the Rangers Locker Room, and Out by a Step. He lives in Easton, Massachusetts. Joe Torre is the former manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers and the New York Yankees, where he won four World Series.
If you’re the author, publisher, or rights holder of this book, let ACX help you produce the audiobook.Learn more.
Top Customer Reviews
1) The Road to the Bronx: About 15 pages of quotes from high school coaches, scouts, and minor league teammates. Generic things like (these are not actually quotes from the book, I'm just summarizing) "Don was great in high school, you could tell he was going to be special." Or "Don quickly moved up from Double A" and "When Don got sent back to Triple A you knew he wasn't staying there for long."
2) Best in the Game: Just a bunch of quotes by other players, managers, and teammates about Mattingly's success from '84-'89. "Don was the best player in the game during that span," or "Don was just crushing the ball, truly unstoppable." (Do you see how I just string together my quotes above with "and" and "or". That's pretty much how the author wrote this book.)
3) Foundation of a Dynasty: About 12 pages of quotes from Jeter, Posada, Mariano Rivera, and Andy Pettitte about how much of an effect Donny had on them in '95.
4) Universal Respect: About 40 pages of quotes from other players and managers about how great a guy Don Mattingly is and how much they respect him.
5) End of an Era: About 30 pages of quotes from guys on that '95 team and how well Mattingly played during the final stretch of the season and how they all wanted to win it for him and about the Seattle playoff series.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Husband loved the book ... Books arrived on time and in good condition. Would buy again. Thank youPublished 3 months ago by Jacqueline Sturm
Was a gift for my nephew who is very into Yankee history old and new. Was delighted to find it.Published 8 months ago by R. M
Decent read, but repetitive excerpts about how everyone loves Donnie which got old after a while. Overall not a bad read.Published on May 6, 2014 by Patrick1
To pen a biography of Don Mattingly without once mentioning the name of Bob Shirley earns said biography a 1-star rating. Read morePublished on October 16, 2013 by HZU