5.0 out of 5 stars Wag'N Book Review
Book Review by Ines de Pablo
July 30, 2009

Published on July 30, 2009 by Charlie S.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Approach Completely
Perhaps I missed it, and the author's intent was to be sarcastically funny. Instead, most of his solutions and responses just come off as "smart ass" and of little help to people who are not dog "savvy" and need assistance with what to them is a serious problem.

I think saying, "It is a dog and dogs eat poop, get used to it," (or something simmilar to that) is...
Published on May 9, 2010 by Colene M. White

5.0 out of 5 stars Wag'N Book Review, July 30, 2009
Book Review by Ines de Pablo
July 30, 2009

Hi all! Skyhorse Publishing contacted me to write a book review about a book called "Don't Dump The Dog" a couple of weeks ago. The book arrived at my office on July 29 and by the end of the day I had read the whole thing! What a great book! It took me about 2 hours to finish it, mostly because I was laughing so much! Randy Grim did an outstanding job covering the most outrageous reasons why people dump their dogs. As outrageous has the reasons may be, Randy's responses, solutions and reasoning is nothing short of priceless!
Wagn4u have been on Twitter since January of 2009. Sometime earlier this year I found a post via Twitter related to this issue. It's a Shelter Rant by a shelter manager that first appeared on Craig's List and was making the rounds. A copy can be found here. When I first read this rant I felt that someone finally has the courage to say it like it is. The reality is raw. So is the rant.
Randy Grim does cover all of the same issues. The stories he uses to back up his arguments are hilarious - in a serious kind of way. If you don't get the message, you just don't GET IT!

I have to admit that the one excuse that aggravates me THE MOST is the "We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat) because the new building doesn't accept pets". If something gets me MAD that would be the one. No Wag'N about it!

Pets have issues. People have issues. That's part of the package. We are not born knowing the answers to all problems. We learn. That's life. If you don't have the solution to your pet's behavioral issue, seek help...not abandonment! There is no "secret farm the shelter will send your relinquished pet to"! Shelter life is horrible!

One of my favorite lessons learned and fantastic ideas offered in this book is in Chapter 1: A.D.D. Dogs.
An owner contacts Randy wanting to relinquish his dog because of hyper-activity issue. The owner comes by the shelter on a day where Randy is alone at the shelter, clearly overwhelmed by work and asks the pet owner to answer the phone while he brings the "abandoned pet" to its new home - The cage. While there the owner takes many dramatic calls covering a few "real emergencies". When the owner gets a break he drops the phone, runs back, frees his dog, gets another dog and runs out of the facility. The owner realized that the issue he deemed terrible was nothing compared to the realities shelters have to deal with. He later sent money to the shelter to thank them of the invaluable knowledge he acquired that day.
Putting things in perspective: of course letting a random person answer the answer the phone and snatch another dog isn't perfect shelter management but abandoning a pet is completely irresponsible!

MY RECOMMENDATION: Shelters should make it mandatory for people who relinquish pets for NO good reason work at an animal shelter for at least 4 rotations. (Some of which are "having a baby", "My dog is boring", "my dog is no longer cute", "my dog is old. I want a new one in exchange", "we don't want to put up a fence", etc).
This recommendation, alone, is however insufficient and not all encompassing. The following addition needs to be made and is addressed to shelters, with who some of the responsibility also rely. New pet parents need to be given some tools by the shelter/breeder to help them in this adventure. We are not asking shelters to provide training. However I could conceive that a local dog trainer could teach some classes at their local shelter every so often. Who knows...maybe some of the proceeds could go to the shelter. Otherwise use referrals. Another great non expensive venue would be a blog for all those who adopt from that facility to post their questions, experiences, solutions, etc. Some monitoring would be required but all you need once its up is a flyer providing the information.
Randy recommends shelters provide tips on what to expect. Spay and neuter workshops are another option.

Chapter 12 is another one of my favorites as I am going to start teaching safety around dogs to kids this fall. Interpreting how the dog feels when you do something that you (kid) consider normal and sweet can save your child and your pet. No doubt about it. Humans have a tendency to project on others what they deem logical to them should be logical to the dog. You are dealing with a completely different RACE so please read this chapter carefully. Your best intentions can do harm. Teach your kids to think like a dog. Understand the dog as it is. Once you start viewing the world in the dogs eyes, things will make more sense. If you don't believe me, get on your knees and walk around. Have an adult stand up straight in front of you and have him/her speak at different tones, approach you at different speeds, play a foreign movie super loud in a language you don't understand and maybe toss you some food. If you feel very courageous try some kibble...ickyboo!

You need to read this book if
- This is your first pets adoption - regardless of where you get it from
- Your pet drives you up the wall and the thought of relinquishing it creeps in
- Your significant other asks you to give it up
- You know someone that is about to do something crazy
- A new human child comes into the picture and you have doubts about the pet
- Your kids and the pet have issues (then you might want to jump to chapter 12: Scaredy Cat)
- Your dog has dominance issues with you and on and off leash
- Your dogs barks at everything.
- You get a former stray dog that is super shy
- You wonder whether or not to spay or neuter
- Your dog has "bladder control issues" in the house
- You didn't realize that more than 27,000 animals are destroyed every DAY in this country
- You think there is such a thing as a "secret farm" where the shelter will send your pet
- You feel like reading a fantastic book
All chapters are worth reading!

When we human make mistakes - including some pretty bad one like DUIs, assault, battery etc - we get a fine, a lecture, maybe some jail time. If a dog bites a human it pays with it life. Most incidents are our fault! We didn't see it coming. We didn't bother to train it as a puppy because it was so damn cute at the time. We can't understand what warning they are giving us. They talk to us all the time! Open your mind and your heart to make our lives with them better and spare them from abandonment.
If that's not enough, consider this. Don't do to others what you don't want done to you. Treat you fellow being like you would want to be treated! These furry guys have a heart beat, lungs, livers, kidneys, eyes, ears, stomach, brains and feelings. Pain and Death suck for all!

... SOME MORE THOUGHTS
If you had a human child, and you HAD to move, would you pick a building that doesn't allow kids? And yes these types of facilities, hotels and BNB do exist! If you answer yes... let's just say now would be a good time to get off this site and seek counseling! Common sense, morale, basic intelligence and reason would dictate that you wouldn't just dump the kid! That makes sense right? It's your kid. Whether it was planned for or not it's a life that depends on you. It's your flesh and blood! Not a vacuum cleaner! So why in the world wouldn't you extend the same courtesy to a furry, four legged (or 2 legged if bird) creature from a different race than yours? THAT'S ACTUALLY RACIST (Human beings being a race and all)

When do you make the decision to adopt an animal you automatically become responsible for it for all of its life, through sickness and in health. Pets are fantastic. If you cannot make a 15 year commitment you probably should think about getting married and you should definitely not get a pet in the first place. Puppies are super cute. A well trained adult dog is fantastic and super cute. Pets are like children. The consequences of not raising and training your four legged friend will make themselves obvious. But like with the child, it will be your fault. Abandoning that responsibility is like blaming everyone else for your lack of commitment. Not Cool! Humans and dogs have been partners since before mortgages, economies, cell phones, apartments, condos, the internet, mirrors, pubs, artificial deadlines and all those things we consider our normal way of life. You DO have time to walk, exercise, play and train that animal.
Read this book. Be responsible. Keep your family, loved ones and neighbors safe. Keep your pets Wag'N!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why We Love ... Don't Dump the Dog, August 3, 2009
Don't Dump The Dog is a riot! So funny in fact it's hard to tell if it's a script for an HBO comedy special or a dog training "textbook"! But as funny as Don't Dump The Dog is it's really about the more serious message, Randy's mission to rescue, train and find homes for all the unfortunate dogs in St. Louis, regardless if they were stray, abandoned, or feral.
It also contains a few choice training tips including my favorites the twenty pennies in a can technique for behavioral problems, and a sure fire deterrent to coprophagia,Randy's Tequila Lime Turd Spray.
This book is presented with such passion and humor, I guarantee you will read from cover to cover. There's a pretty good chance you'll learn something in the process too. Even if all you need is a good laugh this is the book for you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The message here is simple: It's not about owning the perfect dog-It's about being a better human!, August 18, 2009
Congrats to Randy Grim on a well written book about pets and human nature. After reading many animal behavior books, this by far is the one I endorse to all! Randy uses humor to get his point across that pet owners give up too easily when they run into problems with a pet. His solutions are straight forward, positive conditioning excerises to do with your dog. Good advice and suggestions are given for a variety of problems. Just remember there are no quick fixes like they show you on the popular dog training shows. Being the owner of a problem dog takes time, lots of patience and yes commitment! I urge you to read Don't Dump the Dog and start training yourself to be a better human!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book w/good advice, August 13, 2009
This is a very funny book with some really good advice and practical solutions to
help make your best friend a little easier to live with. It's so entertaining that
you won't even realize your learning something. I would suggest that once you read
it you hold on to it for future reference. It would also make a great gift for
anyone that you know is considering dumping their own doggie. If nothing else, get
these potential dumpers to read the "Randy on a Soapbox" section. Maybe they'll
reconsider once they realize that dumping their doggie at a local shelter is likely
to be a death sentence. Sorry, I was standing on the soabpox with Randy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Any Dog Owner, January 2, 2010
How could a 10 lb. dog cause so much chaos in my life? The answer was in Randy Grim's book. I am the proud owner of two puggles, and I am embaressed to admit they were not rescue dogs and in all probablility were puppy mill dogs. But in my defense, I did not own dogs prior to falling in love with them and knew very little about dogs or their care prior to the point in my life. Upon getting them I read everything I could and learned about puppy mills and the need to get rescue dogs over designer dogs, etc. Since that time my family have obtained many rescue dogs. The difference between them and a puppy, is they are usually very messed up and take a lot of time and dedication, but when they finally trust you and give you that look, you instantly know it was all worth it. I recenty got my third dog, a 10 lb mutt named Sammi, she was quite a challenge, she instantly bonded to me and her new brother and sister, but is aggressive towards people. I was looking for guidance, this was the first dog I encountered that was aggressive. I came across Randy's book and read it in one sitting. His advice is gold. It is easy to understand, humerous and entertaining. In just a couple of days I have notice the diffence in Sammi. This should be required reading for anyone who is going to get a shelter or rescue dog. Every shelter should include this book in the price of the dog, it would probably mean a lot less dogs going back to the shelter, if people had a better understanding of what the dog is saying. Way to go Randy, you are my hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Was Looking for in an Owners Manual, October 25, 2009
Tammy "in Texas" (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
As the brand new owner of an abandoned dog, this was just what I was looking for in a guide for what best to do. Someone dropped "Dexter" off in my neighborhood. (I'm surrounded by those "magical farms" dog-dumpers believe exist that are there to take in their castoffs.) His long, flea-infested hair was matted, and he was skin and bones. He came back from the vet a few days ago after endless grooming sessions, poking, prodding, shots and his first treatment for heartworms. Someone had already had him neutered, and the vet believes hes about 2 years old.

I needed a book that cut to the chase about behaviors specific to abandoned dogs. This was it. I read the entire book on my Kindle last night and just ordered the hard copy for easier use. Today Dexter discovered (re-discovered?) hot dogs and he should soon be sitting like a pro in a couple days. When I rolled out the vacuum cleaner earlier you would have thought AN INTRUDER had stepped into the living room! I never got a chance to plug it in as it caused him so much anxiety/anger. But thanks to Randy's book, I know how to handle this issue -- with time, patience and plenty of hot dogs.

Thank you Randy for all you've done and what you will do for me and Dexter.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll laugh out loud!, July 23, 2009
Amy Feranec (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
If you have a dog, or you're thinking of getting a dog, BUY THIS BOOK! It gives simple solutions for behavior problems, and is funny enough to make you laugh out loud.

Each chapter starts with a reason why someone wanted to return a dog they'd adopted - and if you consider your furry kids to be part of the family, you'll be shocked at some of the reasons. There are letters that will bring you to tears, like the family whose 10 year old dog wasn't cute anymore, so they wanted to bring her back and get a puppy instead. As the owner of a 14 year old arthritic dog who needs a wagon to get him home from the park every afternoon, this one struck a chord with me. Randy presents the letters and then gives ideas for how the owner could deal with that particular issue.

If you want to know what he did with the people who wanted to trade their 10 year old for a puppy, you'll have to buy the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely funny but practical advice for "problem" dogs, July 4, 2009
I could not put this book down, I read it cover to cover the day it came in the mail. It is full of very basic, practical advice on dealing with the issues that cause many people to get rid of their dogs, but unlike many other dog behavior books, it is done with humor. It is so funny, that I nearly fell off of my chair laughing several times.

Having been a foster parent for Stray Rescue for several years, I can attest that the types of rescue dogs presented in this book are not exxagerated, and that the techniques Randy outlines really do work.

Any dog, whether you buy it from a breeder (please don't) or adopt from a rescue is an individual who needs to learn how to live with your family. If you understand this, both you and your new famiy member will be much happier.

This book is an excellent tool to help you and your new dog learn these skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, August 19, 2010
This book was great! I read it cover to cover the day I received it in the mail. I'm a professional dog trainer and former shelter worker so I could totally relate to Randy's experiences with "dumpers" (people who give up their dogs). I was literally laughing out loud!! His solutions to behavior problems are practical which I love for my dog-owning clients, especially those who are "average dog owners" and want the problem fixed yesterday. My only problem with the book...it was too short!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for dog owners, May 15, 2010
musicmom (Rochester ny) - See all my reviews
This is the first book I've felt compelled to write a review about. I have volunteered at our city shelter for 3 years, and have seen how horrible people can be to animals. During this time, I rescued a 5 month old pit/lab mix puppy, who - it turned out - had just about every behavior issue you could imagine. She was our second rescue, our first - a red nosed pit - also had fear, poop eating issues. As a result of our dogs, we have been to numerous obedience classes, rehabilitation/trainers, have read loads of books, watched episodes of Cesar numerous times (especially those re: dominance, fear, and hyperactivity), it goes on and on. How I wish I had read this book from the onset. You have to be OK with his sardonic sense of humor, which personally had me crying with laughter through the entire book. He just says it like it is, and I love that. His solutions at times appear deceptively simple. But the key to working out behavior problems with dogs is patience, consistency, and courage. These fixes may appear simple, but they are not necessarily quick - you have to commit to doing them over time - or easy. But they DO work. This book has transformed my dog, and our lives at home. Even if you don't need the advice, but are a dog lover and would like a great book that will make you laugh out loud, get this book. I loved it.

Don't Dump The Dog