Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

89%
11%

on June 5, 2014
I like the idea of encouraging women at any age and life stage to be confident, strong and active. In addition, the notion of turning the stereotypical definition of the "cougar" on its head was refreshing. Therefore, I was in a receptive frame of mind when I ordered this book.

I was hoping to read some inspiring stories from women my age who are doing really exciting and dynamic things with their lives. At the very least, I expected some confidence-affirming tips, and perhaps some guidelines on how to navigate the murky waters of the changing roles that women my age often find ourselves in. Instead, much of the material felt like retreads of messages I've been hearing since I was in my 20s: I don't need a man to complete me. Set goals and follow through on them. Know your own body. Be sure to exercise. Here's how to apply makeup. Stuff like that. Yawn.

Far worse, several chapters read like promotional copy for various health supplements, hormone treatments and other such products aimed at the 40-plus crowd. I couldn't shake the feeling that my purchase of the book might be helping to subsidize some free advertising for commercial products, and that bothered me.

This book might be helpful as a beginner's guide to self-empowerment, if you're completely at a loss where to start. If you're a mature woman who already has a good sense of herself, and you're just looking for some excellent support and affirmations, my advice is to surround yourself with great friends who are as fabulous as you are. Form a support group. Maybe search the web for some free online support systems. Don't buy this book, and don't accept the limiting and rather insulting designation of "cougar," because the fact is that we're all much more than that. Just be the fabulous person you already are, and own it. Shine on, ladies.
on September 11, 2009
Turning 40 for a woman is kind of like taking ownership of a souped up sports car. You have the keys, you know how to drive it, but where are you going to go? Linda Franklin shows the way. This essential guide is all about women taking ownership of the power that comes of a lifetime of experience. Linda covers topics such as relationships, work and finances and shows how to create the life you want with effective, meaningful strategies. Reading this book felt like a celebration--the author lets us know that it's high time women of a certain age have fun and not be afraid or ashamed to do so. Thank you Linda!
on October 8, 2009
I commend Linda on this wonderful guide that every woman should read - regardless of if you are over 40 or not. She has touched upon the lives of so many women from diverse backgrounds and related their experiences in a truly inspiring women.
I recommend this book to everyone to read. My friends are loving it.
on July 18, 2011
I almost fnished this book in one night! It is wonderful! I am in my late forties and was started to lose alittle of my Spark! I am a Real Cougar in every sense of the word, but,everyone now and then needs a pick me up! This book was just the ticket! It made me see that YES I am doing almost everything right! and it gave me some much needed encouragment to keep up exactly what I have been doing...Living life to it fullest and using my age as a PLUS!!! Confidence comes with age!

The best part is a sign up for the cougar club on line...GREAT!!! Wonderful articles from REAL women and very helpful...This was the best part of the book, helping me reach out to other women just like me!!!!

It answered many questions for an example, Why is it that as soon as I turned 40, younger me were FINDING me, being attracted to me!!!! With no encourgement at all!
Where were these great guys when I was younger!!! Back then only much older men seem to be chasing me!!!!

How refreshing to see that it was my Confidence and independance that was attracting them! This only came with age and learning from life experiences...

Thank you for making this book available Amazon!
You Rock as does the author of this book!
on October 8, 2009
For every woman over 40, who wants to be proud of being over 40, this is a must-have book. Linda helps you to capture your essence, to be confident, secure, and proud of who and what you are. She helps you to realize that being over 40 is not a "curse" rather a "blessing," i.e., something to be proud of. Her system for setting and achieving your goals is outstanding and very easy to follow. I wish this book had been available to me when I began entering "my change of life" period -- I felt alone and less of a woman than I had been in my 30's. After 17 years of feeling alone, with Linda's help I am growing every day in my confidence and professional life to say nothing of my personal life. She also beautifully dispells the conception that "cougars" are sex-starved "over 40's" who are only on the prowl for younger men. She makes your realize that a real cougar is proud of her age and achievements, and she has a right to be confident about who she is. If a younger man is in the cards, so be it!. Bottom line, if you are over 40 and want to be proud and confident, this is a MUST read and your first step to becoming a real cougar woman!
on July 16, 2015
Not what I expected but enjoyed it all the more.
on November 24, 2009
There are many great things to say about Linda's work in this book but one thing has made the greatest impression on me by far is her list of 8 medical tests all women over 40 should get on an annual basis. One of the tests is a Bone Density Test and when I read that I thought "That's an old lady test - I'm only 49!). But, when I went to my doctor for my annual pap a couple weeks ago I told the nurse I would like a Bone Density Test. She looked at me and said "the doctor doesn't start those until age 50" and pretty much dismissed me. But, when the doctor came in the room he had this GREAT idea, A Bone Density Test:). The results are in and my diagnosis is Osteopenia, which is the precurser to Osteoporosis. If I hadn't read and took action on Linda's recommendations I would not have had the opportunity to start early prevention/treatment. Buy this book and pay attention to what Linda has to say, she knows what she's talking about!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2010
I am a 46 year old woman who had a desire to make the rest of my life more meaningful. I wanted my future to "count" more than my past. I was looking for a book to read that would add to my new found vitality. And, I ran accross "Don't Ever Call Me Ma'am: The Real Cougar Woman Handbook" by Linda Franklin. I read Linda Franklin's book. It was as if my body had been starving for Vitamin C or something and she (Linda) offered me a tall, refreshing glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. The book sent an exhilirating shock to my system!Don't Ever Call Me Ma'am: The Real Cougar Woman Handbook Not only does Linda discuss the attributes women over 40 are seeking, she goes much further. She also explains how they can be obtained. Reading the information in her book was a wonderful experience. The book led me to her web page and now I'm a member of "therealcougarwomen" club. Linda's book has helped me to take charge of all the things that are really important to me, i.e., health, financial independence, spirituality. beauty, and healty relationships. I adore the book, the club, and the monthly ezine. I highly recommend reading this book if you are over 40 and searching for those afore mentioned attributes. You will not regret purchashing or reading this book. I have referred it to all my friends. I even purchase it for them because I believe in it so much. Please purchase, read, and enjoy.
on December 2, 2009
Every woman should read this book NOW!!! It is a book that touched my life in a big way. My self esteem as an older woman started to go down because I felt as if I was thrown away by what American society expected older women to do --that is to age, get fat and die. This book is open and honest it is truly inspiring instead of dying you learn to live life on your terms and be happy. I highly recommend this book.