on October 21, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
You Don't Know Me is the sixth Deep Haven novel, but the first I've read. I was able to follow along easily and thoroughly enjoyed reading it! I've read many of Susan May Warren's previous books, and I don't think I've ever been disappointed with any of them!

I found it very interesting that the main character in this book (Annalise) is a member of the Witness Security Program and how she never told her husband that in all the years of their marriage.

I loved the characters! Annalise, Nathan, Frank, and Tucker were probably my favorites, but I liked almost all of the main characters.

There was one thing I didn't like in this book. On page 156, Pastor Dan says "I have a word from the Lord for you today, church. I don't know who this is directed to, but someone needs to hear it." He then goes on to say things like, "'I love you', says the Lord. 'I see things, and I know you, and I love you. Period. I know stuff about you that you don't even think I know, and yet I love you...'" - I don't like when books say that God said something that's not in the Bible. It's one of my pet-peeves.

You Don't Know Me's story was really good and I look forward to reading more Deep Haven books in the future! I recommend it if you enjoy books with a little suspense and some romance.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book for my review. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
Format: Paperback
Annalise Decker has a perfect life in a perfect little town called Deep Haven. She is a great mother and she is wonderful wife to her husband, Nathan Decker, a local real estate agent who is running for mayor.

The truth is that everyone is not perfect as we may seem to be because everyone has secrets. Annalise has one of the darkest secrets. Her real name is actually Deidre O'Reilly. Twenty years ago, she got into some trouble and became a witness to a crime. The Witness Security Program helped fake her death, relocated her to Deep Haven, and gave her a new name and a new life.

Shockingly, she learns that the criminal she helped put behind bars and is going to be paroled. Agent Frank Harrison has arrived to protect from the vengeful criminal.

I have read a few other books by Susan May Warren, but this is my first read in the Deep Haven series. The title "You Don't Know Me" sounds more like a made-for-TV movie than it does a book, so I was a little skeptical about reading this. The author has a way with words and I was instantly glued to plot of a woman that must deal with her haunting past that could tear away everything that she has worked for during the past twenty years. Overall, I enjoyed reading every chapter of "You Don't Know Me" as it is an emotional romantic thriller and I recommend it to others.

*Note - I received a free copy from Litfuse Publicity and Tyndale in exchange for an honest review.
on January 4, 2013
Format: Paperback
The followings are my honest opinions about this book.To anyone interested in it: why not give it a try and see if you like it?

I was very excited when I got this book and it was with great anticipation that I started reading it the very same day it arrived, as I was hoping to get a GREAT read. I really tried to enjoy it, I really did, but in the end, I found it to be...a good read.

The idea for the novel is very interesting. For her each of novels I've read so far, I thought that Warren's ideas were well-thought. The beginning of this book was full of nail-biting suspense but as I kept reading I found a good part of the story to be very repetitive and slow and I found the characters' development to be lacking.

I mean, maybe it was because she was hiding secrets and all, but I just couldn't bring myself to like Annalise... she seemed fake. Overall, I didn't feel like the characters were real people at times. Nathan, Frank, Helen, Colleen and the others just seem very distant, in my opinion as a reader. Everything they did -and even who they were- all of it seemed to stay on surface level.

YDKM is a good title because there are many characters with secrets. However, at times I thought the story seemed like a mix of characters' thoughts and actions, not an adventure I could dive into. Not a journey I could savor .
But my heart was moved because of poor Tucker! Oh, poor guy, always being misunderstood and all. And there were some things said that really gave me a pause, including an opinion on marriage that Helen's sister gave to her :

' I've learned that marriage isn't just for our joy, but to make us stronger, better people. To change us into the people God wants us to be....' (p. 169).

Then the real story behind the novel mentioned in the author's notes... Heartbreaking. (Oh, Lord have mercy...)

A good read.

Maybe not a page-turning one, in my opinion. More than halfway through, I skimmed and skipped some parts just to get to the end. And the plot did end up piquing my curiosity by the way, and I found the ending to be quite lovely.

I'm still very opened to the idea of giving another one of Warren's novels a try.
on October 17, 2012
Format: Paperback
Susan May Warren's latest novel, You Don't Know Me, takes readers back to Deep Haven, and it was every bit as good as I had anticipated. Warren introduces us to the Decker family, and Annalise is hiding some huge secrets. As the past comes into the present, Annalise's world begins to unravel and she's forced to consider the choices she's made and the secrets she's kept.

Wow! Just wow! I wasn't sure if I could totally buy into the premise of the book at first. Sure, it's probably a little far-fetched at times, but Warren did a phenomenal job of bringing me into the story and helping me understand the emotions and logic behind each decision made. Plus, Warren delivers a novel with a wonderful message about how secrets and deception affect every aspect of your life--and those you love.

You Don't Know Me is a fast-paced story with elements of suspense and romance woven throughout. I could hardly put it down! My fingers are crossed for another installment in the Deep Haven series! [5 stars]

I received a free copy of this book from Tyndale House and Litfuse Publicity in exchange for my fair and honest review.
on October 15, 2012
Format: Paperback
What would you do, if the secrets you've kept for years - in order to protect yourself and your family - suddenly became your worst nightmare?

Annalise Decker has crafted a life - she's a model wife, mother, member of the PTA, ideal sports mom and more - and suddenly everything is going to change.

No one knows - except Annalise - that she was once Deidre O'Reilly, a troubled young woman whose testimony put a dangerous criminal behind bars.

Given a new life - and a new location - though the Witness Security Program - Annalise/Deidre meets and falls in love with Nathan Decker in Deep Haven.

Twenty years later, Annalise's past comes crashing into the present, when her assigned agent, Frank Harrison, comes to warn her that the man she once put in jail is out - and looking for revenge.

Suddenly, Annalise's past is putting her family's present in danger. Her choices - and the baggage she brings because of her past actions begin to chip away at the life she's carefully crafted.

In her newest novel, Susan May Warren begins with an idea - what would happen if someone entered the witness protection program. What choices would they make?

She also examines what a person might do if that life suddenly begin to crack - and the past that was carefully hidden, suddenly came to light.

Warren explores Annalise's life - and her ultimate struggle to keep her family safe. She also explores the things that families do to keep each other safe.

I'll be honest. This is a "hard" book to read. It's not a "light and fluffy" novel. It follows the trend in Warren's recent works - that seem to center around older characters, facing mid-life type quandaries.

The novel is good, but it's not necessarily a "beach book" read. It will make you think and may make you have a conversation or two about the dangers of secrets.

On the scale of one to five, I give it a solid three. If you are looking for a light read, check out Warren's PJ Sugar series. However, if you are looking for a solid read, then check out this offering, the latest in the Deep Haven series.

(I received a copy of this book for review - but it did not influence my opinion.)
on October 22, 2012
Format: Paperback
Annalise is a woman who hides behind a facade of secrets. Although she appears to be the perfect soccer mom and loving wife, her past tells a very different story. Do we judge people on their pasts or their present? In the past, Annalise's life involved drugs and risk. She has moved on from that and married an amazing man and had children with him. In order to have what she wanted, however, she had to testify against a drug lord. When she is told by the Agent who checks upon her that the criminal may be after her, she can't decide what to do. Is it better to leave her family to ensure their safety or try to stick together?

Annalise is so concerned with Nathan, her husband's, opinion, but what if he had secrets of his own? Nathan has a spending problem in that his credit card must be paid off...possibly with his son's college fund. He doesn't know what to do and if he should turn to Annalise. With two best friends and partners unable to speak to each other, what will happen? Will their marriage survive? Will Annalise be around five years from now?

The characters are all flawed. Despite this, the reader will slowly grow attached to each of them. Nathan is such a nice guy, but this credit card mistake is eating him up inside. Annalise has completely turned her life around, but her very presence may endanger her family. The other characters add bits and pieces to an already complex story about love and friendship. Overall, this was an interesting story recommended to adult readers.

*This book has been given to me to review, this in no way affects my opinion*
on October 1, 2012
Format: Paperback
I am a big fan of Susan May Warren's Deep Haven series and her newest novel did not disappoint. Every time I read one of her Deep Haven b0oks, I fall in love with the community all over again. It makes me wish I could move there, at least until I remember it's in Minnesota and this California girl doesn't really care to experience any Minnesota winters. :)

I really like that these books seems usually follow a love story within a marriage. It's one thing to fall in love with someone new and be swept off your feet, but it's a completely different thing to fall in love with the same person over and over again. As a married woman, it's nice to read a book that involves this sort of romantic love story. There is also a bit of mystery and suspense making the book even more interesting and entertaining. I especially loved reading the story of the Decker family in You Don't Know Me; they were very relatable and interesting. The story showed hope for a marriage even when it looked like the world was falling apart, it also showed commitment and staying true to one's vows no matter what....even when you question whether those vows were actually legal. (You'll see what I mean when you read the book!)

I'd highly recommend this book to fans of Christian fiction. I can't what to see what other stories the community of Deep Haven has to tell!

Disclaimer: A complimentary copy of this book was provided for review. All thoughts are my own and I was not required to post a positive review.
on August 27, 2013
Format: Paperback
You Don't Know Me, by Susan May Warren makes me want to read all of the Deep Haven novels. I enjoyed peeking into the crevices of the witness protection program, and experienced the emotions of the main character--Annalise. I've read stories of wives/husbands keeping little secrets from their spouse, but this is a doozy! Not telling who you really are/were gives a unique twist to the story.

This story shines a new light on the perception that the Jones's life is `perfect'. Everyone has shadows, and some are darker and deeper than others.

Susan May Warren sucked me in to this tale, made me care for the characters, and left me wanting to read more of her work. I recommend this unique and intriguing story.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy free from publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255
on April 27, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
Read this book - you won't be sorry. Susan May Warren has written a winner. The characters re believable, the plot is wonderful and the read is smooth. I read this book in 2 hours, I could not put it down. I wanted to see how it ended and I was not disappointed. I highly recommend this book. I have read three other books in the Deep Haven series and this is the sixth. It is independent of the series, you could pick this book up and be enthralled, even if you aren't familiar with any of the books in the series. This is a very good book.
on March 18, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This book just kept me on edge. I had a terrible time putting it down. What a great book in all areas!