Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus Game!
Price:$12.81 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 13, 2011
Well after reading the kindergarten review, you may not think this game is fun or age appropriate but the teacher did not read the directions fully so she was frustrated.

In the directions you do not have to land directly on the store to retrieve the item, you just have to pass by to get the token. Nowhere in the directions does it say you lose your tokens when you go back to start.

I agree though, for a three year old the bus ticket concept is too much so I am saving that aspect of the game until she is more game savvy. But a well-versed 5-7 year old could understand that part of the game.

Anyway the first time my daughter wanted the pigeon to drive her bus so she ended up losing. Thereafter, she understood to stay away from the pigeon. We usually send the pigeon away from everyone, but she also gets the concept of sending him to the other players.

In conclusion, the game is fun, much more fun than chutes and ladders and candyland and she loves to play it. We play almost everyday.
I also HIGHLY recommend the richard scarry busy town game, which we play almost everyday as well.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 14, 2011
Based on some reviews, we almost did not buy this game, but my 4-year-old really likes it. He loves driving the bus around and trying to stay ahead of the pigeon. He laughs whenever the pigeon catches someone, including himself. But, we did make a new spinner. I found an online timeplate with 12 sections, and gave the pigeon 4 sections so the player (with 8 sections) has more of a chance of going. It works great and shortens the playing time. It's a fun game, but I highly recommend revising the spinner.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It says 3+ on the game, but I don't know anyone under 10 that could possibly play this without adapted rules.
When I attempted to play the game with my kindergarten class. The game went on for an hour without a winner!!!!
The kids all got upset throughout the game, some walked away and traded players.
All in all, it was a kindergarten catastrophe!!

The object of the game:
Move your bus around the board collecting all the game pieces (4 tokens- a hot dog, bunny, drivers license, and key) and then get back to start.

Spin the spinner, if it lands on the bus half of the spinner, the bus gets to move
If the spinner lands on the pigeon side, the pigeon gets to go.

So half the time you spin the pigeon is chasing you around the board trying to "drive the bus" back to its start.

I don't know about you, but going back to start again and again and again is not the best way to finish a game before the kids get bored or begin hating the game, eachother, and the pigeon.
If you are between the ages of 3 and 10 the game requires constant adult supervision to mediate this never ending pitfall.

In addition to this, there are places on the board with bus tickets, if you land on a bus ticket you have the option to change your spot to any other place where that same colored bus ticket is pictured- confusing!

But the fun doesnt stop there!

There are other places on the board where you can change places with any other bus on the board- to avoid the pigeon of course.
Pitting children against one another is not age appropriate for 3+!!!!

Since then I have re-written the rules.

Play the spinner like a regular spinner, don't play the half pigeon half bus option.

Give the pigeon one turn like the other players.

The pigeon should be played by an adult so that they can be fair about who's bus they attempt to drive back to start.

Let kids collect tokens as they go by the stores, don't worry about landing right on the store spot otherwise they wait and wait and wait to get the spinner to land on the right number!

If the pigeon happens to drive their bus, they don't lose their tokens.

Don't play the bus ticket or bus stop options until the children have gotten used to just collecting the tokens and getting back to start.

Increase difficulty (add in bus tickets and bus stop option) in rules as they become more confident.

Since completely changing the rules to accommodate my kindergarteners (ages 5-7) the game now only takes 30 minutes to complete and they all have fun avoiding the grown up who is playing the pigeon trying to "Let me drive the bus!!!"

So, a good game if you have a savvy adult who can make it better for the kids that are playing.
Also, read the book before you play so you can enjoy the pigeon's silliness!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2014
This is a good game for the younger children and can be played with their older brothers and sisters or family. It is a fun way to begin instilling social skills they will need in their lives and does it in a fun way. The best part is that the 6 yr old in my life listed the game as one she wanted. How perfect was that!
on January 23, 2014
It's a really fun game that captures AND HOLDS everyone's attention! It's a fairly easy concept to follow as well. My 4 year old loves to play this with her 9 year old brother. Dad and I get right in on it too! It's a really cute game!
on June 7, 2014
This is a great game for children over the age of 3.
I have only had this game for a month, but it seems like years!
The small pieces are not suitable for younger kids.
on December 28, 2013
My kids and I are big fans of the pigeon books, we had to have this game when we saw it. It was purchased for the cute factor and we didn't even bother reading reviews first. We LOVE this game! My 6 year old and 8 year old have a lot of fun with this. I'm surprised that I do too! I love that when the pigeon catches you and you go home it's not necessarily a bad thing from a strategic point of view. You can still win because it doesn't slow you down. My kids play with me or with each other nicely. Great addition to the game collection. We play a lot of games. This one won't be collecting dust. On a side note, my son enjoys playing with the buses on the game board , good for imaginative play after the game is over. I don't see a need to switch out the spinner and if you follow the directions and play it the way it instructs ,you should have good results with a game that lasts a decent amount of time. Not too long, not too short. A Good buy!
on June 15, 2014
Wonderful game for preschooler. Bought it as a Christmas gift. Great price! Got it when son was 5. He is now 8 and still requests to play it often. Such a simple game. Easy instructions. Not much thinking required for the stressed out, tired parent to have to deal with. Is a wonderful game that doesn't take long to play. We BOTH love it!
on January 14, 2014
The game at first seemed a little complicated for the 3year old, but it was easy to get once we tested it out.
on April 22, 2015
This is a great starter game for the young at heart.

There's enough strategy to make it interesting for the little tykes, and enough randomness that you can actually replay it.

This is part of a series of games that is graded in different aspects like logic, social skills, etc.
I really like it, and I wish there had been games like this around when my kids were younger. (The eldest being a doctor in Austin Texas, they are a little old for it now.) LOL

This would be a good game for the 4 to 10 age category.