5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh, Kneel, Love...
Don't Make Me Come Up There"-- makes me cheer! And it makes me get down on my knees and thank Jesus for this vocation of mothering. Because this book's take on motherhood is with a fresh honesty, a deep humility, and always has Christ firmly at the center of it.

Published on March 8, 2011 by Ann in Canada

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't realise it was a book with christian overtones
Published on May 11, 2011 by Cheryl M-M

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh, Kneel, Love..., March 8, 2011

Each chapter can be read easily in one sitting (or standing at the stove, stirring soup :) by a mama of many. I've been picking it up right in the middle of it all -- and it's guaranteed to bring a smile of recognition ("I'm not alone!")... (or flat out laugh.) And it's guaranteed to encourage and turn a chaotic day to Him who really matters.

This book is making me laugh and it's making me kneel and it's making me love.
I can think of no higher compliment of a book for a mama down in the trenches --- or at the bottom of the stairs :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pep talk for Mom's with little boys, October 29, 2012
This review is from: Don't Make Me Come Up There!: Quiet Moments for Busy Moms (Kindle Edition)
This product has helped me so much with my boys. I have a two year old and a 4 month old and there are so many times when I feel like I am failing as a mother. This book is perfect because it only takes a few minutes to read, cause we all know Mom's dont have an hour to read their devotional, and it gives me so much encouragement. I highly recommend this book for all mothers (especially of little boys!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic daily meditation for mothers everywhere!, May 27, 2012
Trevor Morris (Fredericton, NB Canada) - See all my reviews
I LOVED this book. I laughed out loud at Kristen's funny anecdotes and the touching stories brought tears to my eyes. I identified with her experiences and appreciated the heartfelt prayers. This book was exactly what I needed! I can't wait until she writes another book. Way to go Kristen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss it!, May 17, 2012
As a parent, I'm every Reading teachers nightmare. I hate to read! However, I sat down with this book at a point where I needed encouragement and needed to know I was not alone. I read through the entire book--twice in one day! I continue to read it about once a month and gain new inspiration for my parenting journey each time. I have also given it as a gift to several friends and used it as a give-away at our church on Mother's Day. I appreciate Kristen's perspective and transparency which helps me think I'm more "normal" than I thought, whatever "normal" is. I laughed til I cried and I cried until I smiled at the amazing way God has used this book to speak life to me. Thanks Kristen- for showing us that one person can make a difference, in our homes and in the world around us.

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific encouragement, uplifting, May 17, 2012
I really enjoyed and was encouraged by this book. The entries were easy to read without requiring a time commitment that I cannot give with 4 children 10 and under occupying my days and half the nights. I passed along my hard copy to another busy mom, but now I wish I hadn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's the next book???, May 16, 2012
Kathie M Mathews (Knob Noster, MO, US) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best surprises I've had in a long time...I had no idea I would fall in love with this lady and her family but I did. I can see everything she writes about as it's happening and can relate to all of it. I wish I'd had this kind of encouragement when I was a young mother (I'm a grandmother now)...and my daughter will get a copy when she gets her Kindle for her birthday! Kristen Welch writes much the same as Erma Bombeck did (she was my all time favorite) and I hope my children can relate to her book the way I related to Aunt Erma's! Only one question...when is the next book???!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing devotional that's written from the heart, May 25, 2011
After 2 pre-teens and a toddler, I thought I knew it all (well, almost) when it came to parenting so I wasn't really looking for yet another parenting tool when I chanced upon this book. And I'm so glad I did.

The books reminds us how each child is a person of his/her own. We can only do so much but guide them as best we can towards the right direction. It stresses how much responsibility motherhood requires. And I'm not just speaking of physical aspect of child rearing but the active spiritual molding of a child. And yes it has entirely Christian overtones and that's what I love most of all about it. In an amoral, almost god-less world we have now it's a good thing to be reminded that mothering isn't just about us moms but having God to turn to for direction and having Him to turn to when things don't turn out the way we planned.

Oh, and her stories and reflections manage to hit bull's-eye about how life as a mother is sometimes hectic, funny, tiring, dramatic, thrilling, exhausting, restless but almost always rewarding. We learn more from our children than the other way around.

I have read the book and I'm re-reading it now as a devotional. I have no plans of deleting or archiving it from my Kindle.

A must-read for moms!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the funny stories about her family life =), May 13, 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book about the trials and tribulations of being a Mom. She has a funny way of sharing her stories and they had me smiling through out this book. Why 4 stars instead of 5? - I didn't realize that there would be so many references to her Christian based faith and prayers at the end of each chapter but I would just move on to the next page whenever I'd get to the prayers part. I'd still highly recommend this book to others as I enjoyed reading it very much.

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't realise it was a book with christian overtones, May 11, 2011
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It didn't have any blurb on the UK site so I didn't realise it until the end of the first chapter. This book is more like a daily blog or diary entry. With each chapter being around one and a half kindle pages with a prayer and an amen at the end of each chapter. The anecdotes are really funny and applicable to most moms, however the prayers on every second page were a bit much. To be fair this may be a good example of a christian book and I don't know much that genre. It might have been more interesting to a wider public if the author had written more amusing tales of her children and perhaps just prayed at the end of the last chapter.
Don't Make Me Come Up There!: Quiet Moments for Busy Moms

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging book even if you're not a mom and especially if you are!, April 29, 2011
I'm around moms a lot. Friends, church, the grocery store. And while God hasn't made children part of my personal journey yet, I feel like I can relate to mamas in certain ways--like learning about grace, patience, and dreams (isn't every child a God-sized dream waiting to grow?).

So when I learned Kristen Welch, one of my favorite bloggers, had written a devotional I just had to get my hands on a copy. "Who cares if I have kids," I thought, "I'll at least apply it to the dog."

But by page five I knew Kristen was writing about much more than parenting. Like she always does, she's really writing to the heart. She says:

"Last week was bad. Not the kind of bad you can blame on a broken dishwasher or a naughty child or someone else.

It was a week filled with me failing...

We live in a world that doesn't like failure. It's ugly and messy. Our world wants perfection, perfectly manicured people who never mess up. Just turn on the television or go to the movies or ask a friend if he or she has messed up lately....

But we were born imperfect and into sin. Through failure, I am drawn to the One who runs to me. He does not turn away from my shortcomings. He is not afraid of my humanity."

For years on her blog, We are THAT Family, Kristen has been willing to open up about her weaknesses. And she's taught many women more about grace in doing so. {Also, y'all, Kristen is funny-funny. I used a serious quote here but her book and blog will make you laugh out loud.}

Kristen's mama heart goes far beyond her own household in other ways too. Last year she took on a new task--opening a maternity home called The Mercy House in Africa. (All of the author royalties from the book go to this project.)

I may not be a mom yet but I'm encouraged by Kristen, her life, and her words. Because really, we are all THOSE people--the ones in need of grace, love, acceptance and to know we're not alone or even all that crazy. And sometimes we can all just use a big 'ol hug for our hearts from a mama (and our Heavenly Father too).

___________________________________________________________________

When someone has the nerve to ask me in a questioning tone, "What do you do all day?" I've decided this will be my forever answer: "I'm a mom. What's your superpower?"

-- Kristen Welch, Don't Make Me Come Up There