4.0 out of 5 stars Common sense served on a platter
People don't like Judge Judy because she's a "b" or a tyrant. As an ER doctor, I can tell you that what she really is: fed up. Both of us are tired of the vast amount of human garbage we deal with on a daily basis. What is the common factor amongst all these people?

The unwillingness to take *personal responsibility* for your own life...
Published on December 15, 2004 by M. Gupta

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read.....
First off I love Judge Judy, I think she is brilliant, funny, and right on the money with her quips and viewpoints.....secondly, i found this book absolutely tortuous to read, and gave up after about 70 pages of it, for some reason I just could not go on with it anymore....Judy's ideas on how to solve what ails our society are insightful, and worth taking note of...
Published on February 8, 2008 by native girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Common sense served on a platter, December 15, 2004
This review is from: Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining: America's Toughest Family Court Judge Speaks Out (Paperback)

The unwillingness to take *personal responsibility* for your own life.

Simple.

This book is a great collection of situations and solutions for those who cannot manage to wade through the mire of moral choices they are faced with. It's also immensely amusing and right on target.

You will find yourself nodding and laughing. Perhaps you will even wonder why this has to be written down in a book...when it's all just common sense. This is a great present and a quick read. Read her other books as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough reality from a tough lady!, August 20, 2000
Jack Guthrie (Fresh Meadows, NY United States) - See all my reviews
To sum this book up in one sentence is reality with no excuses allowed. This book chronicles Sheindlin's experiences as one of NYC's top family court judges. Sheindlin gives the lowdown on how those who have appeared before her always try to find a scapegoat for their misfortunes and shortcomings. However, Sheindlin is no fool because she can see these people for what they are. Most of them are just ordinary people who fail to take responsibility for their mistakes. People who constantly blame society for their own problems. People who run the gamut with excuses for everything that has gone wrong in their lives without once looking at themselves. From deadbeat dads to irresponsible moms and everything in between, Sheindlin can tell the truly misfortunate from the con artists. I couldn't put this book down. It was such an awesome piece of work. I totally recommend this book to anyone. After reading about Judge Sheindlin's 20+ years as a lawyer and judge, you'll see why it's titled "Don't Pee On My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining."

4.0 out of 5 stars Judge Judy for President!, July 7, 2003
A. Vegan (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Judge Judy, once again, tells it like it is. If you've seen her on TV then you know exactly that she's no pushover. A lot of "bleeding hearts" would never agree with her statements, but I was pleased to read that someone has the courage to stand up and say that things need to change. Being a family court judge, she's seen it all. Women abusing the welfare system by having numerous kids, men hiding from paying child support, people on welfare refusing to work on the basis that it is "below them" and so many other mini case studies fill this book.
I say "Judge Judy for President!!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh this book will fire up your blood for sure, August 12, 2004
OK, for anyone out there who is tired of people who make excuses, people who can not take responsibility for their own actions, and people who use and abuse the system, THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU!

Judy Sheindlin takes the same approach in this book as she does on her TV show. No punches are pulled and no one is spared as Judge Judy lashes out in a strong argument against the types of people mentioned in the above paragraph.

For instance, Judy insists that America's legal system must crack down on juvenile offenders, especially the repeat ones. Many Americans, myself included, are fed up with the way criminals have life easy, and people that make their living as parasites off of a welfare system that taxpayers fund.

This book may cause some readers to write to their Congressman and demand that as an American citizen, and honest, hard-working taxpayer, these criminals (I'm encompassing all the people in Judy's book) must be stopped and common sense must have a place in the life of government and society.

4.0 out of 5 stars WHAT YOU SEE...IS WHAT YOU GET, June 24, 2001
I have to admit that I am in complete agreement with Judge Judy. She is a tough talking, no nonsense, commom sense oriented individual, who believes in personal responsibility and acountability. What you see on the television screen, if you watch her show "Judge Judy", is what you find between the cover of this book.
The book covers a variety of social issues in the context of her legal and judicial experience, and she does a full court press in giving her opinions. Not given to judicial restraint, she speaks out on those issues to which her nearly quarter of a century experience as a judge has entitled her. I only wish that she were running for public office. She would certainly have my vote.
The only issue that I take with the book is that it is really not a cohesive entity. It is a somewhat disjointed collection of essays or opinions on various social issues that repeatedly came up during her years on the bench. There is no attempt to put them together into a broader context, so that one segues into the next. This is the one shortcoming of the book. Nonetheless, it is still an interesting read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whatever You Do, Don't Mess With This Lady!, March 25, 2003
I don't normally read books that are ghostwritten. This one, however, was not only informative but wildly entertaining. See Judge Judy skewer self-proclaimed victims, lazy attorneys, callous bureaucrats, unwed teen mothers, craven foster parents, and in general anyone who while serving themselves degrades the lives we all lead in this land of ours.
The only negative I can think of is that, too often, points that need more detail end up as truncated sound bites. By making her points as succinctly as possible, Judge Judy has justifiably won for herself quite a following -- although the book's trenchant style is not dissimilar to her TV appearances, so I can't blame the ghost writer. I guess I'm just too much of a detail wonk to feel comfortable with short shrift on major subjects. Give me facts, footnotes, and all those other scholarly trappings that take me beyond the level of the merely anecdotal.
But this book is not meant for people like me, though I can enjoy it as much as anyone. Judge Judy's elevation of COMMON SENSE to a principle of jurisprudence is guaranteed to make you think, even if it doesn't satisfy all bases.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was "BAD! " (meaning great!), November 18, 1999
This book should be on EVERY book shelf in America! I've read it twice. matter of fact, I purchased both books that were written by Judge Judy. I have so much respect for her because she tells it just like it SHOULD be told. As I watch her t.v. program, it amazes me to see how families could sue one another! I would NEVER sue any members of my family. I've learned many things from watching her program. Among many, these are at the top of the line: NEVER, EVER loan family members money and NEVER, EVER co-sign for ANYBODY to buy anything! I strongly practice these two important lessons. If I choose to help a family member, you can bet your last dollar, it will be a gift! This way, I'll never expect repayment, and our friendship will remain in tact!

5.0 out of 5 stars CHEERING FOR JUDGE JUDY!!, October 25, 2006
This book made me want to cheer out loud!! Judge Judy points out, as so many in society do, that there is a lack of responisbility out there. So many people in our county refuse to take responsibility for their own stupid mistakes and the rest of us pay for it. There is too much reliance on people who live by the law and live their lives responsibly.

I did feel rather sad to realize though, that she is just ONE judge who takes action in her own little corner of America. If more people thought like her, and followed her actions on getting tough with the deadbeats of the nation, this country would not have the severe problems it has. I wish more people in a position of power could see things how she sees it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge Judy for president, July 29, 1999
By A Customer
What a brilliant woman! At the end of each page...I found my self saying...YEAH!! IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME!! There are great no-nonsense solutions in this book to very real problems. Not to mention some scary stories of mainstream America. The amazing thing about this book is that the stories are true! Nobody could make this stuff up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common sense at last!, September 18, 1999
By A Customer
Judge Judy offers some real solutions to real problems in this book. It is about time someone took task with the inadequacies of our legal system and social system. While not a comfortable read at times, it was well worth hearing her views and solutions and I would reccomend this book to anyone. The world needs more people like Judge Judy.

$14.99 $10.45