4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Engaging!
Published on March 4, 2012 by Jennifer Juday

3.0 out of 5 stars Club Trillion on Juice
If you've read Mark's blog, then you know what you're in for with this book. It's the same style of sophomoric humor showcasing the behind the scenes of big time college basketball. While not exactly literature, it was a fun read that cracked some out loud laughs, and makes you want to go have a beer with this guy.
Published 5 months ago by ALAN D WILSON

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Engaging!, March 4, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
DON'T PUT ME IN, COACH is a surprisingly engaging read. I should start by noting that I am not in any of the obvious target audiences for this book. I am not an Ohio Buckeyes fan, or even an NCAA basketball fan. I am a suburban mom, and an alum of a school that celebrated engineering rather than athletics. I think I had heard the author's name, but could not have told you anything at all about him. And yet, I read this book in just a couple of days. I was initially repelled, but found myself pulled in to the story, meandering, pointless and off-color though it is.

Just to be clear -- DON'T PUT ME IN, COACH, were it a film, would be rated R for "pervasive language" and some sexual content. You likely do not want to buy this book as a gift for the evangelicals on your holiday list.

I don't usually go for that kind of thing, but Titus really can write. DON'T PUT ME IN, COACH is organized around his basketball career from 7th grade or so through his senior year at Ohio State, ending with his brief stint as a Harlem Globetrotter recruit. Since the book cover talks about his career being "from the end of the bench to the end of the bench," you already know how the story goes for him. And you immediately gather that this won't turn about to be a riff on Rudy. Instead you find yourself reading about fistfights and poop accidents among the athletic elite, from someone who clearly loves basketball and who has a talent for 18-34 year old guy in a locker room humor.

Titus never takes himself too seriously. Early on, he comments that he is "one of the most famous walk-ons of all time (which let's be honest, is like being the smartest Kardashian)." If that makes you laugh (I admit it, I did), then you'll likely find yourself pulled along for this lightweight, enjoyable ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cinderella Story, March 19, 2012
It was interesting this book came out after the SI expose into a blue-blood dysfunctional UCLA program. After reading the SI, I was naively shocked at the issues that were discussed in the article. After reading Mark's book, perspective arrived--every NCAA BB coach has come head-to-head with: 1) team chemistry issues, 2) top star feeling entitled to be a flocker, and 3) team discipline issues based on behavior as well as being college students. Some of the same issues came across in both programs (UCLA, OSU), but "Don't Put Me in Coach" gave a more comical, balanced, and entertaining look at college basketball. I read it during all the TV timeouts during March Madness and laughed out loud enough times that I started to get strange looks from my fellow fans. I could have done with less bathroom humor, but other than that I think it gave a locker-look at how college basketball team's function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, August 18, 2012
I randomly picked up this book at the library. I am a forty three year old woman who knows nothing about basketball and has not been to an organized sports event since High School. However, I found this to be one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious., October 6, 2012
Great insight and funny writing from Titus. An extension from his blog. Exactly what I hoped for and was expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 7, 2012
Definitely a must read. Had me laughing from beginning to end. Only for the true basketball fan Mark TheShark Titus will and should have more books after this onbe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious. Crude, but Hilarious, March 12, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's very rare that I actually laugh out loud at a book, but I found myself laughing uncontrollably several times while reading this one. If you read my other reviews you may be surprised to see me read this one, but I'm still a Buckeye and I still enjoy sports. This book is a fleshed-out version of Mark Titus' blog that gives you an insider's view of the Ohio State basketball program. It will give you a deeper appreciation for Coach Matta and will help you to understand some of the young men who have gone through the program in recent years.

I would have given it five stars, but I found Titus' writing style to be unnecessarily rambling and crude at times. Of course, I realize that sounding like an adolescent male is his schtick. However, there were times when it felt like he was just trying to be as crude as possible. (I will concede that it is almost always welcome when referring to the University of Michigan and its players.)

You don't have to be a Buckeye to enjoy this book, but it helps. You don't have to be a devoted fan of college basketball either. You just have to find humor in the ridiculous things that young men do. Titus captures that humor very well in this very funny book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sports Memoir for the Blog Generation, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Don't Put Me In, Coach: My Incredible NCAA Journey from the End of the Bench to the End of the Bench (Paperback)
First started reading Mark Titus last year as a contributor to the sports blog website Grantland and decided to order this book. I have to say I was impressed. While not a Buckeye, I did attend a big state school that is crazy about basketball, (and has actually had a fair amount of success against the Buckeyes lately, Rock Chalk!) so I was eager to get the insider's perspective on college basketball.

While I have seen some of the reviews state that this book can be fun for people outside of the target demographic, I wanted to add that if you ARE in the target demographic, then you will REALLY love this book. I happen to be the same age as Titus, and attended college during the same timespan, so all of the basketball moments are fresh in my mind and pretty much all of his jokes and cultural references struck me as things my friends and I would joke about. While there is a lot about this book that is universally funny, some of his references and admittedly immature style might alienate some of the "outside demographic readers" but if you happen to also be a 25 year old male who thinks that poop jokes are still funny you will be rolling.

This is a quick read, and I was surprised at how well his blog-style format translated to the longer form, weaving anecdotes and reflections throughout a clear throughline story. Also, it is rare that a book pushes me to audible laughter, but this book left in me fits of childish giggles multiple times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny although heavy on the bathroom humor, April 30, 2012
Neal C. Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a general rule, I am not a fan of off-color humor. However, I admit that Mark Titus has such a natural, unforced though raucous sense of humor, I couldn't help laughing through the book.

Most hilarious to me is the exaltation of "uselessness", of i.e. playing up to four minutes in a basketball game without making a statistic, either positive or negative. He does stress the importance that failure to make a statistic must not be willing...one must be trying to make some kind of mark and fail in order to take pride in being useless.

I also enjoyed the way he employs racial humor without being racist. One section expecially where he's actually asked to use the n word by an African-American is especially fun.

Although humor is Mark Titus' strong point, he also does quite well in those sections where he is describing the action in a basketball game.

So I do recommend this, especially to sports fans, although I do caution those sensitive to bathroom humor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Funny - The Rover Boys Go to Ohio State, March 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I loved this book and I am about 35 years north of the target demo. I laughed out loud 6-8 times while reading. Think about that; and I'm not giggly person by any means. The author tells his story has an end of the bench sub for a big time basketball team (OSU). While some basic knowledge of college hoops would help the reader it is more about team dynamics and college pranks than Xs and Os on the court. Today we are sorely lacking books with any real humor in them. For example I have read all Patrick McManus' books because I am hungry for humor; I have never been hunting in my life. But back to the author, he tells his tale in a straightforward manner that makes him and his teammates seem (mostly) likeable. The downside of the book comes when he talks about his blog (what a surprise!). The five pages where he first mentions it stops the book in its tracks. He devotes more space to the blog toward the end but you can safely skip that portion. I'm a hard grader compared the average Amazon reviewer. Buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, but he really did just sit on the bench..., March 1, 2012
Patrick McCormack (New Brighton, MN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very funny guy He reads like a sports PJ O'Rourke, with a sharp wit, and a sardonic view of the world. His bench sitting for Ohio State turns into a series of stories, enlivened by his prose.

But he did just sit on the bench. And after awhile, you realize he did not have that much to say...

I want to send this guy to Congress, and have him write a book about that experience. His view of the world is both jaundiced and wise, and funny. The book starts to drag a bit when you realize that the author is just not going to end up doing much personally, other than mugging just off-court and being a wise cracker....

So, I laughed a lot, and that is good, but there needed to be more meat...on dem bones.

$15.00 $12.38