Customer Discussions > The U.S. Albums forum

Don't Be So Easily Duped People

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 357 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2013 10:11:27 AM PST
John Moeller says:
You are basically paying for cardboard packaging and graphics.. Why waste your hard-earned $ on this unless you are an obsessive compulsive completest who has to literally own everything the Beatles ever made, even when they had no artistic control or influence on the product or the music has already been beautifully remastered and released in 2009 in nice stereo and mono box sets? Perplexed that there are so many of you readily willing to be duped.

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 12:20:08 PM PST
M. McKay says:
John, so many people have already stated these misgivings and do so every time a Beatles product comes out. The American albums are VERY important to us fans who grew up with them. The track sequencing, the album covers, the sound. It's not going to be completely what we grew up with seeing as though they DIDN'T master these CDs directly from the Capitol masters like the 2004 and 2006 box sets did. We Americans deserve this set and we deserve it looking it as awesome as the 2009 box sets did. I don't feel duped. But I don't like the idea of them "recreating" the sound of the American albums on some tracks. We'll see.

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 1:57:11 PM PST
Johnny C says:
My regret is they didn't deliver Capitol Albums Vol. 3. I don't want this new complete set after buying the 2 major box sets from 09 & Capitol 1 & 2. I do feel a little cheated but I will buy the discs that would've made up Vol. 3. Again, I would've preferred the Capitol mixes with the oddities, reverb etc., not revisionist history.

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 2:47:25 PM PST
JNagarya says:
That's the issue which needs the critical focus: the discrepancies in Capitol's blurb -- particularly about replacing the fake-stereo "Duophonic" with "real" stereo, but also somehow "reproducing" or "recreating" the additions and edits of the original Capitol products.

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 3:42:34 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2013 3:42:51 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 7:02:54 PM PST
I don't have a set yet and have been looking. Can anyone tell me why I might pick this over the earlier set?

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 10:16:51 AM PST
J. D. Blair says:
Another batch of Beatles releases done wrong so you'll have to buy them again in a couple of years when Capitol discovers more outtakes to place on the end of each disc. Of course, being the Beatles, you'll need to hear every note of every take of every song before you realize that once more you'll be spending money on something you already have the majority of.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2013 9:25:38 PM PST
John Moeller says:
Exactly, that's why I used the word duped. It was very misleading to release the first two sets and then make you have to buy everything all over again or the albums individually when they could have also released the 3rd volume.. it's a very typical retail trick, they do it a lot with dvd releases as well.. But I was hoping Apple would have more class than this and would really give us an experience so that we could experience what it was like to hear a Beatles record in 1964 and not just give us a track list that we could just as easily burn onto our computer, download the original LP image and then sequence and upload on ITunes..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2013 9:27:09 PM PST
John Moeller says:
No, I would tell you absolutely not to pick up this set because you will be missing major portions of the work and won't be getting good value for your $.. I would suggest you pick up the stereo remasters box set, it goes down to $124.99 every now and then on amazon, may do so right after Christmas or near New Year's.

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 7:20:39 AM PST
The idea of this set is clearly geared and intended for 1st and 2nd generation Beatles fans, who will want the original US mixes (which I personally deem as sacred in my heart) as they remembered them, warts in all. Beatles fans from the mid 80's onwards I would think, will have little if not any interest in this set at all. THIS IS DEFINITELY A JOKE!!! NOT ONLY IS THIS A HISTORICALLY INACCURATE SET IN THE MAKING, BUT WITHOUT DOUBT, A MUSIC INDUSTRY VERSION OF NEW COKE ALSO IN THE MAKING!!

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 11:54:58 AM PST
D. Williams says:
Well I for one am thrilled! I'm not "1st generation" but began in '73 with a Pepper re-issue on Capitol. In those dark years (up until around '78?) I had never even heard of Parlophone or something called "Beatles For Sale," etc. It was more of a rumor among the few of us who knew. Then I almost felt duped that they would release those phony albums overseas! Nope, for this 40-year American fan, nothing will ever top spinning "Beatles Second Album," or hearing them speak for the first time on "Beatles Story!" Of course I have the "correct" Mono and Stereo boxes, but this will go right next to them. Maybe even in front! The Beatles have been re-packaging and re-issuing since the late '60s, we know this, so stop complaining and start enjoy!! I can only hope "Rock And Roll" and "Love Songs" are next!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2013 12:15:41 PM PST
As a prime example, if they do add reverb to "The Beatles 2nd Album" from the 2009 Remasters, I guess it's better than none at all, but it just won't have the same original feel. That I can almost assure, and that's what makes my heart sink.

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 12:27:47 PM PST
Spikor says:
unsure as to what 'generation' of beatle fan I am as I am 32 but I am a completest and this is a must buy, already have cap vol 1/2 and will keep them. apple should have mastered this new set from the original capitol 60s masters so they would be the same as the original LPs I think, since they didn't I will hang on to the cap 1/2 sets. I grew up on the original CDs which I still have but don't play due to having the 2009 material, this new set will just go into the beatle collection. as bad as duophonic sounds they should have kept that intact where it was originally used for historial purposes and for the intended purchaser-someone who remembers the original albums.
plus, wont the mini lp sleeves say duophonic on the top when infact they are not on the actual discs?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2013 12:44:29 PM PST
The term Duo-phonic never appeared on the cover of any US released Beatles albums (I believe the term may have popped up on some Capitol Beach Boys LP's) The Beatles Capitol Stereo LP's all stated Full Dimensional Stereo or New Improved Full Full Dimensional Stereo up to Yesterday + Today, regardless of any Duo-phonic tracks on the LP or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2013 12:47:03 PM PST
Spikor says:
yep that's what im thinking, that it was on the beach boys-thanks for reminding me, beatles had the 'full dimensional stereo' on top of theirs, duh, ha

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 2:44:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2013 2:56:35 PM PST
Johnny C says:
See, here's the deal. The original intent of The Capitol Albums set was to simply get the Capitol albums the way most of us in America grew up with. There was speculation as to what Vol. 3 would've contained. It was pretty obvious to me it would've contained the remaining 4 Capitol releases. Yesterday & Today, Revolver, MMT & Sgt Peppers. People argued they wouldn't use Revolver because it was the same as the UK version minus 3 tracks. Then the argument was why release MMT or Sgt Pepper. Well here goes; if you wanted the US Capitol experience- Sgt Pepper was better without the gibberish & dog whistle at the end, MMT had duophonic tracks on side 2 (also never an original full length album in the UK when first released). Revolver would seem unlikely except with Yesterday and Today-you don't need the UK version. Based on the first 2 releases, I personally believe this was thematically planned for the US consumer. Somewhere along the way, the script got flipped. Now, it's The US Albums, therefore the UA release, AHDN & Hey Jude are thrown in as well as the non-musical Beatlemania The Beatles Story. I thought they'd get around to these other releases after vol.3. Maybe they will release a vol. 3 but it's doubtful at this point.

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 3:55:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2013 4:07:55 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2013 4:05:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2013 4:12:09 PM PST
It seems the only reason to buy this box set is to have the songs in the order you prefer based on a familiarity with the U.S. LPs from the 60s--if that matters enough to you. And that presumes you're going to play the CDs from the box one at a time. I recommend buying the earlier remastered box set and ripping/burning personal copies with the songs in the order you prefer. That way, you have the best of both worlds.

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 5:45:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2013 5:46:01 PM PST
tmoore says:
Those of us who are old enough to have had the US LPs from the 60s have that order burned into our head (although in my case it was early '80s -- remember that the British LPs were not widely available in the US until the British order of things was the one released on CD in 1987-88 -- before that it was just US LPs, unless you went to the import bin). So when I hear I've Just Seen a Face, I always mentally think Norwegian Wood will follow it (as it does on US Rubber Soul), not Yesterday (as it does on British Help!). The American album cover art does matter to me also. For that latter reason, ripping and burning CDs from the earlier box set won't cut it for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2013 7:16:22 PM PST
M. McKay says:
That is true Bertram. If that's what they are doing then I hope it sounds natural and not digital. That cavernous sound on "The Beatles' Second Album" just MADE those songs, like when Ringo's drums do the intro to "Devil In Her Heart." That "wild party" sound Capitol went for wasn't a BAD thing. I will ALWAYS prefer the U.S. version of "She's A Woman" over the U.K. version! Let's just hang on and see what this new set brings to us fans. We're all writing these comments thinking SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will have an answer and tell us everything is gonna be alright and we're gonna love it. I think we just have to sleep on it and wait until Jan. 21st and then post our reviews. Like McGuinn would always say, "I think everything will turn out alright."

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 7:23:20 PM PST
tmoore--
The order and the sound are part of the Capitol experience. The sound on the Capitol vol. 1 and 2 will blow you away -- you will hear the difference and it is EXACTLY like the records used to sound -- which is different than the way the Parlophone records sound. It's subtle but unmistakable. Get those two items and you will be stoked.

My Capitol vol. 3 would have been: Yesterday and Today (Butcher Block and steamer trunk), Revolver, Beatles Story, Hey Jude, Rarities, and Hollywood Bowl. Great package, eh??? That would be too keep it pure, or else you could start throwing in Love Songs, Rock n Roll Music, Reel Music etc.

It would be nice to have HDN, but that was United Artists and not Capitol.

In my dreams I would have SGT Pepper and MMT because although the same record musically, they did come with Capitol rainbow labels and without the inner groove stuff. Those are the most expensive to reproduce, though, because of the inserts and picture book w/MMT so I doubt that would happen.

I think to do it using the 2009 masters is just so dumb. You can do that on your iPod. Just use the Capitol versions, the ones we heard back in the day. No one will listen....

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 7:47:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2013 7:49:31 AM PST
tmoore says:
Harvey M. Carter -

I guess I didn't make it clear -- I do own Capitol vols. 1 and 2, and then went ahead and burned my own vol. 3 using '60s Capitol mono/stereo vinyls of Yesterday and Today, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, and MMT (when it became clear around 2006-07 that vol. 3 was not coming from Capitol itself). So, by my own hand, I do have a complete copy of the mono/stereo Capitol LP pairs (at least musically --- I don't really care about Beatles Story -- it doesn't mean much to me as I didn't experience the initial Beatlemania firsthand).

The other option that I have been considering is buying Yesterday and Today, Revolver, Hey Jude, and HDN individually. That remains a possibility.

But while Christmas shopping, I looked at several other box sets, and ultimately decided against purchasing any of them for one reason or another (with the common thread being that I felt I was paying a lot to get the small portions of them I didn't already own elsewhere), and decided I'd rather have this new Beatles box, even if it isn't what was released in the '60s.

HDN was United Artists in 1964, but actually was rereleased in 1980 on Capitol when Capitol acquired UA. I found out in the last few years that there was no difference in what was released on Capitol vice what was released on UA (in that the Beatles tracks in "stereo" were just the mono track separated into two tracks, not the true stereo takes -- a good example being "If I Fell"). Wondering what they will do this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013 9:58:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2013 5:41:52 AM PST
Johnny C says:
Just curious, these releases don't come out till January. You've decided you don't care about The Beatles Story (it's very lame, very boring). You considered buying the other 4 individually but changed your mind. What changed your mind? Is there anything I'm overlooking here. If it's because you're an absolute completist, I understand. Again, you tweaked my curious nature.

Not sure who doesn't like this post, it's simply a question for tmoore regarding his change of heart regarding the new set. Not judging, just looking for a reason to purchase this. That's all, it's not meant to be sarcastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 7:20:38 PM PST
I have no intention of purchasing this set. I have the remastered box, as well as the Mono box. Yes, these are the albums i collected as a kid, but I have all this stuff and more on the other boxed sets. Truth is, most Beatle enthusiast's considered the European versions of their albums to be superior, as they were not chopped up like the American versions to make more albums in order to sell them to the American public.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 9:08:44 PM PST
Roy Kj Peden says:
I prefer the original British LP's (Parlophone U.K.) to the American Capitol albums. Most of the Capitol albums had a song or two on them that was either electronically re-processed or reverbed. Check out "She's a Woman" and "I Feel Fine" on Beatles '65. Dreadful! No matter, I still enjoy listening to them. Overall, the Parlophone LP's were better, quality wise. I did hear that the mastering of all the CD's in the U.S. Albums box set eliminate all that re-processed and reverbed stuff. Sounds good, I would buy it in a second. I have "The Beatles Story" on LP. I played it once and put it away. I found it to be very interesting to listen to, but how often can you listen to an interview L.P.? Once in a while, perhaps. Even so, it still has a place in my Beatles collection.

In the future, I would like to see Capitol re-issue the compilations "Rock and Roll Music", "Love Songs", and "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" on CD.

For those who are curious as to how all of the recordings were made in the studio, the book "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions" by Mark Lewisohn makes for an interesting read. I have a copy, and I have been reading it. There are things in that book that I find to be quite fascinating. Check it out, it is well worth it!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The U.S. Albums forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  357
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The U.S. Albums
The U.S. Albums by The Beatles (Audio CD - 2014)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (260)