5.0 out of 5 stars For Teens and Everyone Else
Every night I sit down with my daughter (11) and son (13) and read. We have read classics, kids stuff, and some current trendy stuff. After reading several other Don't Sweat books I picked this one up to add to my evening reading with the kids.
Published on September 11, 2000 by Beau Thurnauer

3.0 out of 5 stars some good advice
As with all self-help style books, I'm inclined to come at it with a wary eye. However, this book has some good information. Some of it is stale or a bit sentimental, but some is very practical and can make someone look at something in a whole new light. "Become Button-Proof" is a good example; imagine how much easier it would be if other people through...
Published on December 24, 2000 by Andrea Supalla

5.0 out of 5 stars For Teens and Everyone Else, September 11, 2000
This review is from: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series) (Paperback)
Perfect selection. It deals with issues that every kid wants to talk about and presents them in a way that every kid will listen to.
My 11 year old comes home often with horror stories about what friend likes her today, what group does what to another group, how one girl hates another girl, and how can she possibly face it all tomorrow.
I counsel her, listen, feedback, and hug her. But she needs to know that what I am telling her is not unique. So when we read the chapters called "Drop the Drama" and "Check Out these Odds! (The Likelihood that Everyone Will Like You) she looked at me like I was a genius. She actually asked me if I knew the author.
Don't get me wrong. This book is great for a wide age range. I read it to my kids. The teen set (and beyond) will devour it.
Some of the issues in this book are so universal that they need to be taught in college or business school. The chapter that is called "Understand the Law of Focus" should be memorized by every student entering college. This chapter reinforces the basic of 'never obsess'. Know anybody that is so focused on one thing that they lose sight of everything else? Better read this part first.
Well written, to the point, and so very very relevant. Good for early grade schoolers to upper teens. It is by far the best Sweat book that I have read.

4.0 out of 5 stars STRESS REDUCTION FOR TEENS, November 4, 2000
Dorothy Weiss (ORLANDO, FLORIDA United States) - See all my reviews
If you're "stressed out" and would like to look at ways to be a happier more contented person, you may find something in these pages that ring true for you. The book title indicates "for teens", but anyone could benefit from some of the author's suggestions. For example, when someone is talking, avoid the words, "I know."; or "dare to show enthusiam. Be a volunteer in your community-- find something that you really enjoy doing and do it! - Don't infect your friends with negative thoughts if you're in a low mood.-- Instead of making unkind, caustic comments, stay away from those close to you until you feel better; that way, you don't have to feel guilty, make apologies or re-ignite your stress worrying about any inappropriate hurtful words you might have used --Try some meditation or contemplation or yoga exercises to be more relaxed." Richard Carlson's hypothesis is- if you don't get stressed out about the small things, then dealing with more complex issues becomes easier. The book offers advice without lecturing and the topics are brief. One could read a few pages daily. Highly recommended reading. Quite inspirational, and not just for teens. Contains practical information for anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars We Can All Learn and Benefit From Dr. Carlson's Philosophy !, October 6, 2000
This is a brand new addition to Dr. Carlson's books on "not sweating the small stuff." This one is targeted to teenagers, but we can all benefit. I found that the way the book is set up is quite helpful. Each of the more than 100 topics is short, and you can gain the insight into his teachings on that topic in just a few pages and a few minutes. There are really practical tips for coping with peer pressure, dealing with everyday situations at school, work, play or home. He includes many examples of his own experiences as a teen and the best ways to handle them. He offers advice, but doesn't preach to you. The advice he presents is simple, full of wisdom for coping with situations the teen must deal with daily. One of his key factors in overcoming the "small stuff" is developing the ability not to be irritated, bothered, and annoyed by the day to day things that happen to all of us. He acknowledges that it's very tough to be a teen today, considering the numerous outside pressures to set you going down the wrong path. The techniques he offers won't make the pressures go away, but you'll be better able to deal with them. He goes into some detail about criticism, and how to handle it. There are tips in gaining self confidence. If you incorporate just a few of his many suggestions into your everyday life it can make a major difference in your life, your success, and those around you. Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great For Any Teen, March 9, 2001
By A Customer
When I first got this book I looked at it as another book with an adult telling you useless ways to keep your cool in weird situations. Then one day I picked it up and I was amazed. The write of this seems to understand our life and doesn't lecture us about how we blow things out of proportion. All the chapters pertained to me and really helped me not to stress out so much. I think I am now a better friend and person from it. He (Richard Carlson, author) really shows us good examples and you remember things from the book as you go. I suggest this for every teen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best advice I've ever been given!, August 3, 2002
I admit, this was lying on my shelf for two years before I picked it up (almost). Being somewhat hard-headed, I never accepted that someone could tell me how to make life easier. But Mr. Carlson's methods and exmaples put his 100 tips into perspective... and reality. Although not all his examples are good, the principles have certainly helped me through a lot of stressful times, including keeping my cool in arguments with my boyfriend & family. It's a definite must-read for any teenager, and even parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Any Teen, July 24, 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read!, March 26, 2005
Brooklyn Mueller (Green Bay, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This book definently helped me to chill out with certain struggles and people in my life. This book is a wonderful read for teenagers, because it suggests, not tells, how teenagers take things, and how they should act in certain situations. I would definently recommend this book to any teenager, or parents of their teenagers, who are struggling to find themselves, and also who are struggling in dealing with life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this book to every teenager you know!, October 28, 2000
By A Customer
So much excellent advice for anyone, any age. Just leave this book sitting around the house, and someone will pick it up, read just a few pages, and benefit from the insights. Worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars *~ Some helpful Tips in this Book*~, May 27, 2002
Ashley (The Land of Oz) - See all my reviews
I liked this book~ It was easy to read in 101 sections divided up. The only thing I think this book lacked was a teenager's point of view. Unlike Chicken Soup, Teen Love, and Teen Ink, a grown man is writing these tips. He had some good advice but I think some of the tips couldve been made fresher by having some kind of teenager input. Other than that theres many valuable lessons in this book and Richard Carlson did a good job (even if he is grown and not a teenager himself.) I suggest you read it! I'm sure you'll get some kind of help or advice outta it~

5.0 out of 5 stars much needed, May 22, 2002
By A Customer
Being the uncle of an out-of-control teen with siblings I felt obligated to provide them with whatever I could without appearing overly concerned. This book fit the bill perfectly. All four kids have read it, each one commenting on it differently. I wish the school system was conscious enough to have "living life" classes in addition to the 3 Rs, you know something that helps kids with real-world issues they face.

$14.00
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.