4.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to The Wilder Life
I liked The Wilder Life and this short e-book has more stories and reflections in a similar vein. I read it pretty much in one sitting, but I'll be revisiting my favorites (like the two "pig parts" vignettes).
Published on April 4, 2012 by karend_mich

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Trade the Baby for a Horse
I expected more from Wendy McClure. She usually makes me laugh out loud. I do highly recommend her full length books though.
Published 13 months ago by Denise Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to The Wilder Life, April 4, 2012
This review is from: Don't Trade the Baby for a Horse: And Other Ways to Make Your Life a Little More Laura Ingalls Wilder (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Addendum to The Wilder Life, August 5, 2013
If you read and enjoyed Wendy McClure' s wonderful tale of her journey in search of all things Laura Ingalls Wilder, you should also like this short series of essays that are really just a small selection of additional chapters that should have been included in "The Wilder Life". McClure pokes fun at her own fascination with the author of the beloved Little House books, and her stories bring to mind all of the delightful touches that I remember and loved so much. It's also great to learn so much of the back story of the life of LIW and family. At 2.99 for the Kindle edition, I completely enjoyed this short but very sweet bunch of essays about all things Little House.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Trade the Baby for a Horse, January 21, 2014
Denise Lee (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Essays, August 10, 2013
These brief essays by McClure don't have the development and sustained appeal that The Wilder Life does, but they are entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, but short, April 5, 2013
The book was very enjoyable for anyone who loved the Laura books - it was like having a chat with a mutual friend. Her idea to discuss various points of Laura's lifestyle was a great idea, but I thought she could have gone further with it. Especially as she only started to discuss each point, then she was done. It's a shame she didn't take it all a bit further... more discussion points, more discussion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never read the Wilder Books..but I want to now, April 20, 2012
BookWormess (Lafayette, LA United States) - See all my reviews
I read this book because the title suggested it would be amusing...I was not disappointed. The author uses humor to tell enough of the lessons that she got reading those novels, that it makes me want to read them. I have never read the Wilder novels, nor did I watch the popular television show based on them. I enjoyed the reminder that life wasn't all fun and games in those "olden" times, times were tough, and it makes you appreciate the things we have to make our life easier today. I particulary enjoyed the chapter on the clothing....whalebone stays in your corset....yes, that would make your chores easier, eh? But those who lived it, didn't complain, it's just how things were.... I suggest this for a light quick read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only ok, April 20, 2012
Don't Trade the Baby for a Horse ... Well I'm a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder fan and loved the Little House books when I was young (and not so young!) but this reflection on the series is...kind of lame. Each chapter is only a few pages and is an entirely new thought. It feels like these were all the left over notes that the author wanted to get into the original book (Wilder Life) and they didn't quite make the cut. And understandbly so. While well written, it lacks any kind of real depth and just when things get interesting, the chapter abrubtly ends. This isn't a "story", it's just random thoughts about the Little House books and what the author learned while writing the first book.

It was interesting, however, to read about the pig's tail and bladder. I give her major props for having the gumption to locate and try those two items. Overall though, I could have done without buying this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A visit with like-minded folks, July 25, 2012
Those of us who appreciate Laura Ingalls Wilder's writings do like to compare notes with others of our kind. This is totally refreshing, and a joy on every page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Humourous and Enjoyable, May 2, 2012
I loved every minute of "The Wilder Life" by Wendy McClure. I am also a collector of all things Laura Ingalls Wilder. So of course I couldn't wait to read this new LIW short. It is a quick read and some readers may not find it worth the $2.99, depending on how interested in the subject matter they are. I found it worth the money. If you really loved "The Wilder Life", you will probably enjoy this story. It is mostly brief antidotes about McClure's impression of Laura Ingalls Wilder's life lessons from the books. She also offers a few neat stories as she tries to replicate Laura's experiences. I found them to be amusing and entertaining. These stories are definitely a companion to "The Wilder Life". I enjoy it quite a lot but would have liked it to be a little longer. I will say that I am definitely now a fan of Wendy McClure and I hope to see more Laura Ingalls Wilder subject pieces in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome Read!, May 1, 2012
McClure's book is a wonderful and easy book to read. She intertwines wit with practical wisdom. Definitely a great extension to her Wilder Life book.