Customer Discussions > Back to Basics forum

Don't Waste Your Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 130 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2006 1:50:16 AM PDT
F. Dun says:
This girl needs to disappear. She isn't Etta James or Mariah Carey and she certainlly isn't a hip-hop diva. She isn't revolutionary in any way either--just another in a long line or pop artists without an identity or a clue. Her voice is terrible these days. She oversings too much and screeches too much. Had she been black, she would've been considered a bad vocalist. Had she been black, she would've sunk without a trace 7 years ago--just like Samantha Mumba did.

If you want to listen to how R&B should be done--and sung--, check out Toni Braxton, Tamar Braxton, Latocha Scott, Mary J Blige, Faith Evans or even Alicia Keys.

Don't waste your time with this empty suit.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2006 1:31:01 PM PDT
takemehome says:
"Had she been black, she would've been considered a bad vocalist."

So why is Beyonce hailed as an amazing vocalist when she does the same thing as Christina?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2006 3:13:24 PM PDT
if you are saying this chick can't sing you are crazy!!i would take her along side any singer out there today including mariah's washed up self!!there are some out that obviously can't sing.jessica simpson and britany spears come to mind but to say christina can't sing is truly laughable!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2006 10:22:01 PM PDT
F. Dun says:
I don't like Beyonce either!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2006 10:26:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 8, 2006 10:27:10 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2006 10:27:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2006 10:30:21 PM PDT
F. Dun says:
Listen to Etta James and then listen to Christina and then tell me WHO the better singer is. And learn how to punctuate sentences properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 1:14:04 AM PDT
cool_nerd says:
Christina did not say that she's better than Etta James... nor a hip-hop diva. If you find any proof, can you quote it? I know now, you're probably a Mariah fan (she's the one who deserves a break... her voice is not that good anymore compared to her past albums). At least Christina's album is BETTER and DIFFERENT than the so-called "albums" out today. Name an album that's not pure popular so-called "hiphop" aka "let's just put together music that would sell" or fillers.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 1:29:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2006 1:32:12 PM PDT
Killer7 says:
This is a funny post. Even those artists you've listed couldn't even put a better album than this out. Where's Toni Braxton's albums nowadays? In the $1.99 bargain bin. Alicia Keys? Great artist, but she can't pull of the vocals that Christina does in this album. Faith Evans? When's the last time she put out an album. Give the girl credit where credit is due. She's not trying to take over Etta James life or any of the people she's been influenced by. Hint the word "influenced". She heavily pays tribute to them while still retaining her own identity. Please get it straight.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 1:29:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 9, 2006 1:31:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 1:33:07 PM PDT
Killer7 says:
That's a matter of opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 4:34:27 PM PDT
Obviously, you are a Britney Spears fan! Ha! Ha! Ha!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 4:35:48 PM PDT
People of color are obviously DISMAYED that Christina Aguilera can sing better than the rest of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 4:36:39 PM PDT
Why are you comparing the two?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 4:37:18 PM PDT
Rightfully said! Christina Aguilera is the BEST.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2006 4:39:32 PM PDT
HIP HOP! I HATE IT WITH A PASSION! I don't like singers who can be CATEGORIZED, and the singers you mentioned are in my trash!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 6:24:20 AM PDT
Okay, first thing... takemehome's comment about Beyonce didn't even make sense. I can't even comprehend the point that they're trying to prove, but Beyonce doesn't do the same thing as Christina. If anything, Christina Aguilera is trying to be Beyonce. The horn infused "Ain't No Other Man" is such a lame and obvious attempt.

People saying that Christina can sing better than Mariah are crazy. Sure she's an okay singer but... Just because Christina does her 10 second long "yeah-yeah-yeah" and constipated yelps throughout her song doesn't make her a good vocalist. She oversings everything and tries to make uneducated people think she's a good vocalist with her long and loud notes. I don't see Christina with a 10+ discography, either.

And of course Etta James can outsing Christina on her worst day and Aguilera's best.

By the way, Christina is just dropping all of these classic soul singer's names in articles so she can sound legit and to get even more sales. I hear absolutely no influence of Nina Simone in the whole album and she probably doesn't know anything about Nina Simone. She probably thinks Nina Simone is her real name.

She didn't say anything about being the next Etta James or even being a hip hop diva. But people are slapping the label on her and she doesn't mind one bit because it's just duping more people into buying her album. Working with DJ Premiere for a whole entire CD is a bit obvious of an attempt to be labeled hip hop/R&B, isn't it?

Oh, by the way Mariah is just as good, if not better, a singer than she was back in the day. She just happened to learn a lesson that Christina has yet to learn: oversinging is not always the answer.

Please, Christina is not doing anything different than anybody else in the business, or at least on the first disc. If she were doing something different, she would be working with unknown talent with fresh material and creating a new sound.

You people may not know of someone named Lina, but Christina is completely ripping off of her sound. Lina was first with this jazz infused R&B/hip hop. Go buy one of her albums because she has real talent. Her album is different. Christina is biting off of her style and getting away with it because people have slept on Lina.

You really want me to name albums that are different and aren't just created for instant mainstream success. Well, young one, you must not be very educated if you must search so hard for them. Ever heard of neo-soul? Didn't think so. Here are some starters: Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Anthony Hamilton, Angie Stone, N'dambi, Lina, Jaguar Wright, India Arie, Macy Gray. Alright, there are a few for you to chew on.

Actually, Toni Braxton's new album was great. And although Toni has never released a stellar album since Secrets, neither has Christina. And Toni has a better and unique voice. Alicia Keys could definitely do the vocals off of this album. If you think she can't, then you must not be aware with her full talent or familiar with her work. Sure a few of the notes may be raspy, but that's soul music. Anyone can imitate Christina's constipated voice.

Yes she does pay tribute to her "favorite" old school soul singers. So much that the first two songs on her album are saying all of their names. A little desperate? Yeah. Keeping her own identity? Yeah right. That's the whole point of the second disc: to try and mimic the sounds of Etta Jamesand all of the others. By the way, she fails horribly so she sholdn't have even tried.

I'm not black, but let me tell you something... half of the urban/R&B singers could outsing Christina without even trying. Think Christina could beat Mary J.? No, I didn't think so either.

And if you hate hip hop and artists who can be categorized, look no further than Christina Aguilera to hate, too. She worked with DJ Premiere and is practically begging magazines and press to label her by the genre. Come on.

Lastly, the whole "two disc set" is a scam because for every million people who buy the album, it counts double. So she can sell 5 million and say she went diamond (selling of 10 millione copies), which is exactly what Outkast did.

She could've easily taken the best tracks and put them on one album, but she had to milk you suckers for all you're worth for a beautiful, silver plaque on the wall of her multi-million dollar home.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 8:49:25 AM PDT
A. Molina says:
Someone's racist...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 1:19:57 PM PDT
Pavel Hjek says:
You right, Beyoncé doesn't sing, she's screaming instead!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 5:18:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2006 5:34:37 PM PDT
cool_nerd says:
to quote you:

"Lastly, the whole "two disc set" is a scam because for every million people who buy the album, it counts double. So she can sell 5 million and say she went diamond (selling of 10 milion copies), which is exactly what Outkast did."

I think you should do research first. To be counted as a double album for RIAA certification, you need 100 or more minutes of music. On the other hand, Christina only has 79 minutes (and yes, I downloaded the album but still buying it). That means that she would not get double certification.

The reason why she made a double cd is to separate the modern beat (Primo) vs. raw sound (Perry). Wow, before making a comment, research first!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 8:07:07 PM PDT
Thank you. You are 100% right.

But she still could have put all of the songs on one album and just have kept them seperate.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 9:08:28 PM PDT
Mr. Cherry says:
Geez... so much racism and hatred and musical snobbery (god. I HATE musical snobbery) all over an album. IT. IS. JUST. MUSIC. No, repeat after me. Repeat. It's just music. Not life or death. Holy crap, it's kind of sickening how savage people can get when discussing it. Everyone likes and dislikes their own set of whatever, and nobody can or should make an attempt to force someone to disown or like what they like. Causes more conflict and resentment. So everyone shut the hell up - everyone who likes the album, rock on, but why bother trying to convert those who dislike her or will dislike the album? Same for those who dislike it - those who like it will like it. Let them.

God. Everyone go sit in the corner for like five minutes. Just five.

(Errr... and not to be rude, but to the person who asked when the last time was that Faith Evans put out an album? Last year, actually... it sold respectably, by her standards, especially considering she's not a major star even in the R&B/urban scene)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 10:44:11 PM PDT
cool_nerd says:
you have a point there; and also it would be inexpensive for buyers to purchase if it's in one cd; but if you hear the songs produced by Perry and Primo, they sound so different... Putting them in one cd would be weird.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2006 6:03:06 AM PDT
Lina Sofla says:
Your comments are quite ridiculous. Had she been black...who says something like that? Basically someone who thinks that the only people who can belt out a good R&B tune is a black person. Grow up and look at the world around you. Talent comes in all sizes, shapes and colors. Aguilera has a truly amazing voice. Yes, Etta James has an undeniable legendary voice but its not to say Aguilera is a bad singer. She truly has a gift. As does Mariah and the others you mentioned. Be a little more open minded, if you listen to her music and her voice without going into it with a biased opinion as to whom should sing R&B you will find this woman does have a beautiful voice. Girls like Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, Beyonce (yes, I said Beyonce) have decent voices that are helped out a lot by computers and are marketed extremely well. Being good looking helps them out a lot too. Good management, great computers, superb marketing, a good looking person - voila insta singer! Christina my dear is not one of these girls. She has an amazing voice and this album is great!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2006 7:15:34 PM PDT
Julie says:
"This is a funny post. Even those artists you've listed couldn't even put a better album than this out."

Those artist don't need to sample/rip off old songs to make a hit album or rely on producers to search out sounds for them. Christina Aguilera is a untalented hack who rely on producers to search old songs to rip off for her album.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2006 7:32:26 PM PDT
I respect your input and mere opinion, but many of us think she can sing. Thanks for the input, though. Not that the Grammy's are the sole affirmation of talent, but this album will do very well next year at the Grammy's.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Back to Basics forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  130
Initial post:  Aug 5, 2006
Latest post:  Sep 11, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Back to Basics
Back to Basics by Christina Aguilera (Audio CD - 2006)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (482)