Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on January 16, 2012
Dancing ear-to-ear reveling in the best new music I've heard in ages. Yes, I'm a huge fan of The National and there is more than a passing resemblance. So? They're not derivative. And it's not a pejorative. It's just the sweeping hooks and Berninger-esque baritone can't help but engender comparisons. Listen long enough, though, and essential idiosyncrasies emerge. This may be the same family of sound... siblings, but not twins, okay?

No is such a great name for a band. It reminds me of the scene from The Odyssey where Odysseus plays a trick on the Cyclops by telling him his name is "Nobody." Who blinded you? Nobody. Who's your new favorite band? "No." No? Try googling that!

I first heard them on LA public radio. KCRW was playing a song so good I had to know who it was. Morrissey? Wha-? WHO IS THIS! I whipped out my Soundhound app and it couldn't track the source. I was exasperated until the radio host returned and luckily announced the band. Who the heck is No? I live in LA, damn it. And one of my favorite local bands hails from Silverlake. An amazing assembly of lads called The Shore. We go see them whenever they appear because they make us happy in ways that few other bands do.

C'mon, you know what it's like when you discover a band and it's all you want to hear for days on end. You put the album on endless repeat until your ears bleed and your significant other says quit already. Well, No is that new band for me. Thank God!

It feels like forever since I've been this excited about a new band. As Richard Ashcroft says, MUSIC SAVES. And No is a welcome new form of redemption for me.

Give 'em a spin. You won't be disappointed!
on October 27, 2012
Los Angeles debut that projects a dark, cloudy stadium pop beauty--one that pulls at your
heartstrings with a velvet iron grip of intimacy. Bradley Carter's brooding baritone voice lends an
air of emotional authority to the subtly churning drama couched in the melodies. Reminiscent of
the National, as well as Interpol, the Dream City Film Club, Tindersticks, Shearwater. Gorgeous
songs for a black-clothes night of swooning depression indulgence.
on August 16, 2012
These guys are great. They have catchy hooks without being too poppy. They have a big stadium-rock sound at times without sounding too commercial. Obviously great musicians. Yes, there are similarities to the National because of the lead singers voice. However, No's singer seems to have a bigger range and less of that drunk-singer sound that the National sounds like to me at times...
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2013
If you like The Nationals or The Editors you'll enjoy this band. My wife heard one of the songs while watching 'Elementary'.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2013
Bought the mp3 of the track "Long Haul."
Not interested (judging them just by the first thirty seconds)
in any of the others.
Could be I would be, but mehh, whatever.
The four star rating I give is my and only my opinion of that
one track: I'm smart enough to know that music I four star like
(of five) is fifteen star hate and fifteen star adore by people
who aren't me.
But hey, they aren't me.
0Comment0 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse