Don't You Fake It
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$9.11+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 22, 2006
I was so shocked when I heard this group. I had recently heard "Face Down" on TV & I thought I might check it out online. Well, that became my favorite song of all time and I just had to have the CD. Yes, there is screaming parts in it, but that's not the whole entire CD. The screaming actually makes The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus stand out from other groups. I loved all of the songs and here's my review.

In Fate's Hands: 4/5 - This was a great song to start the CD off. An upbeat, catchy song with great lyrics.

Waiting: 5/5 - I loved this song just after a few seconds of listening to it. The guitar's in it make this a truely unique song.

False Pretense: 4.5/5 - I couldn't give this song just a 4, nor 5. I love the parts where they sing "ca ca ca cause you know". But it's a bit short and I wish they had made the song longer because I loved it.

Face Down: 10/5 - My favorite song on the album and of all time. And it's not some pop song coated with sugar. It's about real life things like abusive relationships and how it affects people. It has a great message in it.

Misery Loves It's Company: 3/5 - Not my favorite, but I definitly like the song. The screaming sort of makes the song less likely to be, well, "liked". But it's still a wonderful song.

Cat and Mouse: 5/5 - I've heard different versions of this song and I LOVED this song. It's not guitars, but a piano, which is something we need to hear more of these days.

Damn Regret: 3/5 - Again, not my favorite, but it's OK. I can listen to it, but not exactly have it on repeat. It's just not that song that has the "WOW" factor, but it's very catchy.

Atrophy: 4/5 - Another one of my favorite songs on the CD. The screaming makes it go "WOW" they can sing, but not just with the screaming. I mean, I don't like songs with screaming being the whole song, but in parts, it can be kind of cool.

Seventeen Ain't so Sweet: 5/5 - Again, I've heard different versions of this song, and I loved it. Even my parent's like the song, which I don't hear very often.

Justify: 3/5 - Probably my least favorite song. I'm able to listen to it, but it doesn't affect me at all. It's just one of those songs that people go "eh, it was OK"

Your Guardian Angel: 5/5 - I LOVED THIS SONG! It starts off with an acoustic guitar and then goes into a power ballad which I loved.

The Hidden Track

Grim Goodbye: 4/5 - This song has the most screaming in it. And it's the longest song I've ever heard. About 7 minutes and 30 seconds or so. It's very powerful and I love the lyrics.

Overall, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus rocks.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon February 14, 2007
The Good

If you had to pick out two things that stand out when listening to "In Fates Hand" you'd most certainly mention the quick-fire drum beats and riot inducing vocals. Driving rhythms and harmonic vocals set the pace for "Waiting." Chugga-chugga riffage dominate "Face Down," while the storyline delves into domestic violence. An unexpected piano piece sets the ballad "Cat and Mouse" into motion. Smooth vocal melodies continue throughout the track, along with more piano enhancement. Monster riffs run rampant on "Damn Regret." Somehow in the onslaught of distortion, the group manages to pull of some great multi-part vocals. "Atrophy" walks the line between emo and punk rock with its charging progression and belting vocals. "Justify" has one of those memorable riffs that make you want to take guitar lessons.

The Bad

Nothing notable

The Verdict

I was quick to dismiss The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus as another whiney emo band after their first track, but the more I listened, the more they won me over. Sure, they do delve into that genre a bit here and there, but they add other elements of rock that help create their own sound. If you're itching for something new, fun, and energetic; then look no further.
on October 10, 2006
I have to admit, when I first heard about this band and viewed their website, everything about them screamed 'cookie-cutter pop/punk/screamo band'. You know what, they might even be just that, but their album is still pretty good, and that's what really matters.

I was most impressed with the first five tracks In Fate's Hands, Waiting, False Pretense, Face Down, Misery Loves Its Company, as well as Atrophy, and Justify. The others are alright, and the extra track The Grim Goodbye is pretty good.

The only real disappointment is that a couple other tracks by RJA I had previewed online and liked, were not on this album. (Getting By, Kins & Carroll, and 20-Hour Drive come to mind). In fact, if they'd dropped 'Damn Regret', 'Cat and Mouse', and 'Seventeen Ain't So Sweet' and put those three on there, I would have given it 5 stars.

Another note is that for those wondering which version of 'Face Down' is on the album, it's the less "screamo" version. I sorta like the other version a bit more but they're both good. A couple other tracks are also different recordings or productions than the ones I'd heard before.

Either way, it's a solid album and can be purchased pretty cheap. In addition to simply listening pleasure, some of the tracks are good for background music while working out or playing videogames. Overall, a solid purchase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a matter of fact, I think they got lumped in with all sorts of horrible bands that didn't do these Florida kids any justice. They are more powerpop in structure and melody, with the occasional scream placed as an accent...they don't distract from the songs themselves.

The 2 singles "Face Down" and "False Pretense" are pretty good songs with decent, unpredictable melodies and swell 3-part harmonies. There is both youthful vigor and dark themes like domestic violence that resonates pretty deeply.

I am actually surprised I like this record and this band, to be honest, and that's why sometimes labeling is a bad thing...the emo/screamo tag almost shut RJA out of my existence.

This deluxe CD/DVD is a decent package...I'm surprised this record got this treatment, but it was a hit. There are 2 bonus songs on the CD...the 11 plus unlisted 12th...14 total, and a nice DVD with videos of the 2 singles, an interview, behind the scenes footage, and even photo cards of all band members...nice.

Give this a chance, you might like this band...I am surprised I do, and I'm not a kid either.
on November 5, 2006
I heard the radio release on Sirius of "Face Down." I took a risk in buying the CD based on that and some advice from a friend. I was NOT disappointed. Unpredicatble patterns and an extremely diverse composition and feel to alot of songs contribute to this being one of the best buys of 2006.
on July 13, 2007
When I had first heard of the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, I immediately judged them by their name. I made the assumption that they were just another emo band with a stupid name. They began to win me over when I heard their first single off of the CD called "Face Down." It is a song addressing domestic abuse and as a woman all about female independence and strength I really could appreciate it. Their next single, "False Pretense," is easy for anyone to relate to. Who hasn't ever been through the feeling of being betrayed? Overall, i have completely changed my opinion about these guys. Initially I didn't give them a chance. The whole album is excellent and I would especially recommend "Your Guardian Angel," which is the "slow song" of the CD. Oh and also, it was just yesterday that they reaffirmed my love of this band and CD. I saw them perform live and was absolutely amazed. I am a seasoned concert goer and these guys were just awesome. The lead singer has this presence and his voice never once faltered. I strongly recommend this CD to almost anyone. If you don't like it, I'm sure you can find someone who will.
on July 18, 2006
Don't You Fake It is an amazing debut album for The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. The lyrics are well written for such a young band. It sounds like they've been in the industry for years. Every song is meaningful and there are no fillers. This is a must listen. I highly recommend it.
on September 26, 2006
When it comes to music, I probably have the broadest taste compared to just about anyone. The past few years I have been listening to mainly punk, emo, hardcore, and every other rock genre you can think of. I never usually purchase cds, and this is one of the first ones I've purchased in a while. It was probably the best 12 bucks I have ever spent.

I like to pride myself on listening to alot of music that alot of people don't know or havent really heard before, so when I first saw facedown on MTV2, I didnt really pay much attention, but i went online and gave it a listen. I am not big on MTV sellout bands, but RJA had a sound that i really enjoyed, so i bought the cd the day it came out. I can't believe it hasn't melted yet, everytime i put it in it plays til its done. It is probably one of the best cds i have ever heard front to back. Every song is amazing and has its own good qualities to it. Their style is different from most bands you usually hear on TV or the radio...plus every song on there cd packs a different punch. You get every cent worth out of this CD. You would be dumb not to give The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus a chance, they will be a household name before we know it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 29, 2006
When I saw these guys on some 'Ones to Watch' sort of thing on mtv, i was immediately entranced. They had a catchy song and I immediately found my way to Limewire and downloaded face down.

When the album came out...i bought it have been listening to it ever sense. Part of me just blends with the music and falls into this trance (I ran into a 2 x 4 listening to their cd.) where it's just me and the music. It's rare i do that with music. my thing is movies.

RJA isn't like any other band. They don't have just ordinary catchy tunes that you can bounce around to when you're alone in your room. It's real music, with well thought up lyrics. The band is talented, and on their mark.

Don't You Fake It is seriously one of the greatest albums I've ever honed.
on January 3, 2010
Yes, this CD rocks like many others have said, much more 'hardcore' than their latest release. I find it only fair to mention that the Amazon MP3 album is missing the song Grim Goodbye. I HIGHLY recommend you download this song in addition to the MP3 album. Grim Goodbye is 1 of the best songs on here, not sure why they would have left it off.

Hope this helps!