Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > The Silmarillion forum

Don't go away MAD,Yvanna,just go AWAY...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2008 2:41:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2008 8:55:51 PM PST
I know that most people look at Feanor,as being self-centered and irrationally selfish(two traits,that my family routinely,attribute to me),for refusing Yavannas'(bold)suggestion,that he remove the light of the Silmarils,so that she could attempt to,revitalize the Trees,that Ungoliant(not Feanor mind you) destroyed....Feanor(to his credit)readily admitted that he held an uncanny love for these gems,and to break them(to recover their inner light)would break his heart!! I understand that the revival of the Trees,was of great importance,but would the SHATTERING of Feanors HEART,been an unimportant occurence?!? I LOVED,this part of the book,because Feanor(An elf,after my own heart)showed that he had the"stones"to stand up to the Valar,over a request he felt,was asking(far) TOO much of him!!! This same type of scenario(with similar results)has taken place in my life,more than once...I REALLY like this "Feanor"character..So,I'm gonna get a shirt and cap made,with "WWFD"emblazoned across them,with the phrase:"What would Feanor Do?!?"written below it!!Yes,I am aware,that Melkors' LIES,contributed to how Feanor actually WORDED,his denial(saying that if "forced"into surrendering the Simirals,he would know,that Melkor was indeed of their ilk!! But even before Feanor shouted those RASH words,he was ADAMANT,about no"harm" coming to his Simirals,which he stated would"wound" him unto death!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 10:36:59 PM PST
Fionwe says:
I see your point, but Feanor's decisions caused thousands of years of suffering for the rest of the world. He could have just sucked it up and let them break the damn gems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 7:58:35 PM PST
Hey Fionwe,while not worded overly"eloquently",your point is UNDENIABLY true!! :) Keep in mind when Feanor was born,his mother stated that more"spirit"went into him alone,to accomodate a HUNDRED others!! Also that Feanors spirit was SO"intense"that it turned him into ASHES,as it sped his body!! This was an Elf PASSIONATE in his beliefs!! :O

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 10:42:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2010 10:43:04 PM PST
TGD says:
Regardless,

He should have known his place, just like the fallen Numenorians.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 6:37:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2010 6:39:32 PM PST
Of course you're right,but you've gotta"admire"his'stones'in defiantly standing his ground to one of the Valar!!! I'm going to get a shirt made that'll read:"W.W.F.D"with(What would Feanor Do?")in parenthesis below it!! lol.. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 8:58:43 AM PST
TGD says:
I'd buy that shirt ;).
Feanor is one of my favorites, besides, well, Turin obviously. It's really hard to find characters with as much passion as them in other works of literature. Probably why I'm on my 10th read of the Silmarillion....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2011 5:20:45 PM PST
Yes,I've read the Silmarillion so many times,it's not even funny! One of my favorite parts is where the Dwarves of Belegost performed a dirge in the middle of a big battle for their fallen Lord Azaghal,in which they,by wearing"hideous"and terrifying"battle-masks" looked(and sounded)SO"grim"that no one DARED to "interupt"them!! THAT would make a GREAT scene in a movie!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Silmarillion forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Silmarillion: Of the Valar and Valinor Before the Darkening
The Silmarillion: Of the Valar and Valinor Before the Darkening by J. R. R. Tolkien (Audio Cassette - June 15, 1998)