Customer Discussions > Dune forum

Don't buy the kindle edition just yet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2008 5:08:06 PM PDT
J. Peek says:
It contains way to many print errors. Some paragraphs are missing. Words are misspelled.

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 7:52:05 AM PST
Drew says:
Well, the publisher certainly hear your complaint and took down the kindle edition... but never put it back up. This is taking too long...

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 4:24:18 AM PST
Yeah, this is taking too long. I've only ever read the first book, but would very much like to read the others. However, I want to be able to re-read the first before moving onward. So, it is very frustrating that a classic masterpiece like DUNE is not available.

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 5:25:48 AM PST
Todd Adamson says:
So, I can buy books two and three of the trilogy for Kindle, but not book one? Is that right??

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 1:25:02 AM PST
Vortex33 says:
I bought the Kindle with the intent of adding my favorite books and Herbert's Dune series was what I wanted first. I can't believe all the other books in the series are available and the first one is still MIA. I am so not investing in the others without being able to have the first book also! *grrr*

Posted on Mar 11, 2009 7:38:25 AM PDT
Todd Adamson says:
I contacted the publisher a week ago and just received this:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the availability of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
books in digital format.

We are currently involved in the massive effort of converting as many new and back
list titles to ebook format as we can; however, there are many challenges inherent
in the process of setting up the ebook business. We do hope to provide our
customers with every title that they wish to see in electronic format; however, we
are not able to specify when each and every one of them will be made available.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us."

Sounds pretty canned, and took them a week to send it. Boooo.

Posted on May 17, 2009 8:35:49 PM PDT
James Lick says:
I just noticed that the Kindle edition is back up for sale again after being unavailable for months. I bought a copy and a quick glance does not show any typos. Can someone give some examples of problems in the original Kindle edition so that I can check if they were fixed?

Posted on May 25, 2009 11:21:39 AM PDT
J. Peek says:
It has been a while since I read it, but when they first get on dune and are having all of their introductions, a page is missing. It is when Paul is putting on his stillsuit.

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 10:38:00 AM PDT
Holytechie says:
I'm working my way back through the trilogy after 30 years, partly to give my Kindle a workout. The book is great but the Kindle version is (should be) an embarrassment to Amazon and the publisher. There are so many typos that it looks like someone just cut up a paperback version and ran it through an OCR. It is obvious that no one bothered to proofread it. Who would do that to one of the greatest science fiction books of all time?

Posted on Sep 17, 2009 3:27:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 23, 2010 7:39:34 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 2:28:41 PM PST
NoahBody says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 5:35:39 AM PDT
$14 for a 45 year old book that I can get for half the price in paperback and 1/10 the price when I bought my original version in a used book store 20 years ago. I was going to replace my Dune that has gotten rather tattered over the years, but would rather not at this price point.

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 9:58:31 PM PDT
Kevin says:
The $14 price is absurd. Nice to see that the book industry hasn't learned a single thing from the mistakes of the music and movie industries. I don't really mind paying the same price for an ebook as I'd pay for a paperback, even though it really should be cheaper. But to charge a premium for a virtual product? Sad to watch an industry bring about it's own demise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2010 4:28:52 PM PDT
I was so angry that a 40th Anniversary Edition would have so many typos. What kind of trickery is this??? They can't tell me that they've had to type set ebooks individually and instead of human editors have used OCR software to do it. It just seems silly and amateur. I've asked for a way to correct misspelled words and was told that there was no recourse. I just want it fixed and reissued at no cost to myself. I hope this helps you determine if your copy is flawed.

Location 1426, the word iong should be long.
Location 2155, the word ad{ninistration should be administration.
Location 4875, the word formad should be formal.
Location 5217, the word the should be they.
Location 6600, the word thim should be them.
Location 8202, the word A. should not have a period after it.
Location 8889, the name Gurney has a superscript y.

Posted on Jul 22, 2010 12:52:22 AM PDT
Sand G says:
$13 is too much. i won't buy the kindle version or the book at that price. this is an old book. i don't mind spending $5 to re-read it but not $13. Publishers have no clue about their customers' taste and pricing points. They should make an effort there. Being too greedy will actually undermine their profit.

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 8:47:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2010 8:49:12 PM PDT
M. Ervin says:
I agree, the price for an aniversery edition is way to high, offer a regular version for a regular price if you please. Dune being a classic, and having only one version available at that price...means I won't be adding it to my kindle. Sad sad me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2010 12:51:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2010 1:14:38 PM PDT
NotAtWork says:
After seeing this thread, I decided to look at the free initial chapters before plunking down that much $$. '...he was bom on Caladan..." in the 5th sentence of Book One! Come on Penguin, significantly reduce the price or get it right (and do the 40th Anniversary proud). Or give the first reporter of each typo $1 credit and then fix them. I was hoping to reread the entire Dune saga (this time using a Kindle 3 when it becomes available). Now I think I'll just dig out my original hardcovers instead. Very disappointed!

Posted on Aug 1, 2010 1:00:11 PM PDT
Todd Adamson says:
This is soo lame. I sold my Kindle a month after I bought it, and I couldn't be happier. Price and quality of digital books is not where it needs to be. By the time they get it right, I'll be reading from 3rd or 4th gen iPad, and the Kindle will be a historical curiosity.

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 5:57:18 PM PDT
I'm not going to spend more than $7 for this on kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2010 12:48:33 PM PDT
Reed Moore says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 5:42:18 AM PST
I agree that the price point is way to high. It sounds like it has even gone up (15.99 currently)! The apparent typo issue is just further discouragement. *Sigh*

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 4:52:31 PM PST
Ian Lipsky says:
wow, $16 for this? seriously? who the hell thinks up these price points? And on top of that there's all sorts of mistakes in it judging from what everyone else has been saying.

And then the publishers are going to complain that people are downloading illegal copies... hmm, i wonder why.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2011 5:02:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2011 5:03:11 PM PST
Preeeeeecisely. I'm not sayin' where I finally I got *my* copy. But have you looked at piratebay lately?

Apparently there's some kind of pricing policy grudge match going on between Amazon and Penguin. Penguin insists on exorbitant prices on eBooks, in response Amazon undercuts all of Penguin's other customers by taking huge hits on the price of new hardcovers. And people who want the eBook versions go download them from one of 20 different places for free. I really don't see how Penguin will NOT be the loser in this equation, but then I suppose they are smarter than I am.

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 5:38:06 AM PST
pirates don't buy anyway, no matter the price. So the battle is between publishers wanting to prevent eBooks from replacing printed versions as long as possible and retailers wanting to push eBooks which reduce their overhead.

Ideally no doubt publishers would like to see some sort of regioncode system for eBooks, similar to what we have for DVDs, allowing them to sell the same book to US customers for $10 and to EU customers for €20.

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 12:02:53 AM PST
Jerm'n says:
"I don't understand you kindle folks in the first place.
Why pay 300 some odd bucks for the "privilege" of then buying books like Dune at the same price as the physical book..."

I read them on my Ipod and PC using the Kindle software. Cheaper than buying in physical form, no waiting or trips to the book store, and I can carry a virtual library arround in my pocket with my Ipod Touch (my favorite way to read anyway).

My favorites get added to my "physical" collection as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dune forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2008
Latest post:  May 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dune (Alpha Books S.)
Dune (Alpha Books S.) by Frank Herbert (Paperback - January 8, 1981)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (2,159)