5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible
Published on February 14, 2011 by Shawn Severse

3.0 out of 5 stars I like about half of it.
I had high expectations. I enjoyed about half the album. There are many songs that sounds a lot like Michael Jackson songs. I like Michael Jackson, but I expected a more Jason Mraz sound from Bruno Mars (which he gives on songs like "Just The Way You Are" and "The Lazy Song"). My personal favorite tracks are "The Lazy Song" and "Count On Me"
Published on October 24, 2010 by Ricky

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, February 14, 2011
Shawn Severse "qyats" (honolulu, hi United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doo - Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
I am a 63 yr old guy who was raised on rock n roll. Pop has never been anything i really cared for, Reggae bores me after a single stanza and anything even remotely close to hip hop, well, don't get me started . From the very first notes of Grenade i was hooked. I bought the CD and haven't listened to another damned thing for 2 weeks. There is nothing on this CD that i DON'T like. I am now a died in the wool damn the torpedoes and full on Bruno Mars afficianado. The lyrics the beats and tempo's just grab me and hold on. Don't take my word for it though. Go guy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars SKYROCKETS to the Top!, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Doo - Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
It was B.O.B's mega hit "Nothin on You" where I was first introduced to the incredibly gifted Bruno Mars. The hook he sung made a lasting impression... On Doo-Wops and Hooligans, Bruno shows the world not only his incredible vocal range but the strength of his song-writting and versatility as a muscian. He plays most of the instruments himself.

The result: Ten great songs with at least three sure fire hit singles. Those being the current r'n'b flavored hit "Just the Way you are", "Grenade" (his latest release) and "Count on Me." There are even two collaborations. One a reggae styled duet with Damien Marley and the other with Cee Lo and B.O.B

If you love Usher, Outkast, John Legend then pick this cd up. Bruno's voice and style is totally unique. You can't put it into any one box. Here's hoping that this is the first of many cds in a long and promising career...

The one regret: at 35 minutes, the album is far too short. Why not have included "Somewhere in Brookyn" or even a second remix of "Just the Way you are"?

UPDATE: Since my initial review Amazon now sells the SPECIAL EDITION CD which is called the Oz or Australian Tour version. It contains the same bonus tracks featured on the Japan-only release.
Here you have all 10 of the original tracks plus the following 6 bonus ones. These being:
1- Just the way you are (remix ft. Lupe Fiasco)
2- Somewhere in Brooklyn (previously only available as a digital download)
3- Talking to the moon (acoustic piano version)
4 - Just the way you are (Walmart Soundcheck version that was recorded in front of a select audience in Las Vegas)
5 - Grenade (Walmart Soundtrack version also from Las Vegas)
6 - The other side (Walmart Soundtrack version live from Las Vegas)

The live tracks illustrate just what a talented singer and band Bruno has and will bring a great smile to you upon listening to them. I know that the price is a bit steep but for you diehards this is the definitive version of Bruno's multi-platinum debut album!
I can hardly wait for his latest single "It will rain" that is slated to be on the Twillight's Breaking Dawn soundtrack slated for release this November.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Doo - Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
Bruno Mars literally sprung up out of nowhere this year when he appeared on B.O.B.'s hit single Nothin On You. He had an undeniably smooth voice with a unique quality that made him instantly likable. I will admit that Bruno Mars does show flashes of Michael Jackson in his voice in the same type of way that Ne-Yo has some shades of MJ in his voice. This is not to say he sings or sounds like Michael, just that certain notes he hits reminds of the late great. However that little quality did not cause me to overrate this album. Bruno Mars is extremely talented and is a star waiting to happen.

Having also appeared on Travie McCoy's successful single Billionaire as well as helping produce the magnificent Cee-Lo Green single "F You", Bruno finally drops his much anticipated album. Earlier he released a 4 song EP "Its Better If You Don't Understand" which was a great record. However, 3 of those 4 songs made it to his debut album Doo Wops & Hooligans. That would not be so bad if the album was longer than 10 tracks. It's still not really a problem since the album is filled with great songs. The single Just The Way You Are is 5 stars all the way as well as Grenade, Talking To The Moon and Lazy Song. Bruno Mars mixes soul with reggae and pop but does so effortlessly and with such style and grace. Vocally he's one of the best male singers to emerge in quite a while and the production is timeless. The lyrics are original and sung with passion. Cee-Lo Green, B.O.B., and Damian Marley make cameos but Bruno was not outshined on his own project.

Doo Wops & Hooligans is easily one of the better albums of the year. I'd rank it up there with Janelle Monae, Nneka, and Corinne Bailey Rae's efforts. It's unfortunate that Bruno Mars has encountered a bit of trouble as this album was released but it's easy to see he has the talent to be a cornerstone in music for years to come. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive version albeit a bit pricey, September 26, 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
This is the Oz or Australian Tour version that contains the same bonus tracks featured on the Japan-only release.
1- Just the way you are (remix ft. Lupe Fiasco)
2- Somewhere in Brooklyn (previously only available as a digital download)
3- Talking to the moon (acoustic piano version)
5 - Grenade (Walmart Soundtrack version also from Las Vegas)
6 - The other side (Walmart Soundtrack version live from Las Vegas)

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, November 17, 2010
This review is from: Doo - Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
I'd heard Just the Way You Are so I figured I'd try out the CD. Some reviews I read were mediocre, but personally, I LOVE this CD. I listen to it all the time and there's really no songs that I dislike. I'd pretty much 100% recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruno Mars' is AWESOME!!!, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Doo - Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
I just finished listening to the Bruno Mars CD and absolutely love it! Bruno Mars' music is so different from most of the stuff pounding through the speakers these days. His music allows you to feel good. It is one of those CD's that you put in while driving home after a stressful day at work. It is a toe tapping, finger snapping sensation. My kids can actually listen to Mars' CD from beginning to end without me saying "WHOA, What did they just say?"

My 9 year-old actually got me hooked on Bruno Mars when he introduced me to the catchy Billionaire song that he was featured on. Mars' music reminds of India Irie because his lyrics are honest, well thought out and rythmic.

The only downside I found was that the CD only has 10 songs. I really would have enjoyed to hear 3 or 4 more. I played it three times in a row becuase of it was so short. Overall, I love this CD! Keep up the good work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruno Mars is here to stay! The man is crazy talented!, February 20, 2011
This review is from: Doo - Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
Wow. What can I say about this guy that would do him and his music justice? Admittedly, I didn't care for Just The Way You Are when it came out. That was the first time I had ever heard Bruno Mars. So much for first impressions. I mean, he sounds great in the song. It's just not my thing. Then I heard Billionaire and thought, "This guy sounds great. But does he ever sing on his own?"
Then I heard Grenade. Easily one of the best songs I've heard in the past 10 years. I can't stop listening to it. I'll try and do a little synopsis of the rest:

3. Our First Time: Slow, soulful song that has an 80s R&B feel to it. Great mood music for you and your baby. Bow chicka wow wow! 7/10

4. Runaway Baby: Funky beats. Rocking guitars. I defy you not to bob your head to this one. 8/10

5. Lazy Song: The best song Sublime never wrote. 7/10

6. Marry You: Another great song. I'm a straight male and I think I would even say yes to his proposal after this. 9/10

7. Talking To The Moon: My favorite song on the album, next to Grenade. Listening to this and Grenade back to back makes you realize some girl really did a number on this poor guy's heart. Beautiful song. 10/10

8. Liquor Store Blues: Very relaxed, reggae song featuring the awesome Damian Marley. If you have one rolled up, put this song on and light it up! 9/10

9. Count On Me: This song sounds more like a Jason Mraz song than all of the others on this album. Not a bad thing at all. You'll most likely listen to this song a few times in a row. 8/10

10. The Other Side: This is my third favorite song and what I feel will represent how his next album will sound. It features Cee Lo Green and B.O.B, but Bruno clearly owns this song. 10/10

As I said in the title, this guy will be around for a loooooong time. Michael Jackson (rest in peace) is gone. Say what you will about his personal life, that man had a powerful voice. The King of Pop is dead. Long live Bruno Mars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was a Bruno Mars virgin, February 18, 2011
This review is from: Doo - Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Bruno Mars until my friend posted one of his videos on facebook. After I watched "Just the way you are" I was hooked. I then listened to "Grenade" and then just started clicking on the next one, then the next one... His voice sounds a lot like MJ on a few songs. I looked on amazon to find the cd and found it for under $7. With shipping I still paid less than $10. I like every song on the cd and recommend it highly. Just to let you know, I'm actually a 50 year old fan of country music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Talent!, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (MP3 Music)
Amazing album! Lyrics are great, beats are great, album will have you pressing repeat over and over! Bruno Mars is a talented artist! Only complaint is that there are only 10 tracks on the album ... give us more Bruno! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for the live tracks, February 10, 2012
This review is from: Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Audio CD)
I was surprised how much I like Bruno Mars. It's cute. Not exactly my thing when it comes to music, but something more than his incredible voice brings me back to it.
After 2 days of steady streaming his videos online I decided that the kid deserved my money. I was going to get the regular album, but saw this one for only $5 more (at the time) and this version has 6 bonus tracks, which is less than a buck a song. Plus, I love his voice live, which 3 of the bonus tracks are. I'm glad I spent a little more. If you don't care about the live stuff I'd stick to the regular album, unless you're a Bruno die hard...

Doo-Wops & Hooligans