4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Book!
Published 18 months ago by S. Fine

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, But Not Groundbreaking
Too be fair, this book is being graded on a curve. I own both of the previous Aimee Ray books, and I adore them both. While this book is a nice addition to my collection, it was not as groundbreaking as I had come to expect.

Published 17 months ago by Soaring Claws

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Book!, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Doodle Stitching: Embroidery & Beyond: Crewel, Cross Stitch, Sashiko & More (Paperback)
I love Aimee Ray's work! I have her first two books and read her blog religiously. I pre-ordered this book as soon as Amazon offered it and was very happy when it arrived. I am already quite familiar with the different techniques that she goes over in this book, so there was very little here that was new to me. The projects are very nice and I'm looking forward to making a few of them. That said, I preferred her last book more. Ms. Ray is a brilliant illustrator and I love her designs. I wish that there were more original patterns instead of projects. It is just my personal preference, but I like to apply embroidery patterns to my own projects more than I enjoy copying recipes for an artist's project. Her second book had an accompanying cd with scalable patterns that I loved. Hopefully she will sell some new patterns using these advanced techniques online. (Hint, hint... ;> )

For novice to intermediate needleworker, this book introduces a lot of great techniques that will help expand one's creative repertoire! The projects serve as great examples of what can be done with different techniques. 5 years ago I would have given this 5 stars, so if you are still at the stage where you are mostly doing backstitch, stem stitch, lazy daisies, satin stitch, and french knots then this next step book is a must!

My favorite part of the book was seeing how Aimee used shista techniques with found objects such as acorns and stones instead of just using mirrors! I would never have thought of that! She is a very talented designer and really thinks outside the box! I highly recommend also checking out her website, blog, and Etsy shop! Good stuff!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, But Not Groundbreaking, April 2, 2013

Doodle Stitching: Embroidery and Beyond delves into a couple of new topics. Topics include: Cross Stitch, Applique, Coloring in your embroidery designs, Redwork, Crewel, Sashiko, Shisha, Cutwork, and Stumpwork. Each one was given a little introduction and at least two projects using the technique. The projects are very cute, as always, but I was really hoping for more technique so that I could create my own projects.

I am not disappointed with this book. I bought it at a great price (only $5, and free shipping) and I feel that it was money well spent. I just don't think that this is the best book that Aimee Ray has produced or that it is the best primer for new techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun ideas and motifs for hand stitching!, March 11, 2013
This is really an ideal book for me, since I like to both doodle and stitch! I also like how all of the designs are so fresh and modern, which gives it a definite upgrade on the 70′s needlework that I grew up with. Now that my daughter is enjoying hand sewing also, I'm glad to have a current book to show her how to do so.

The hand sewing projects in it make it easy to take whatever I'm working on with me and stitch while I'm waiting or even watching TV. One of my favorite things to stitch on is pillow cases, and while the projects offered in this book are used on many types of items like quilts, bags, etc., I can also use pretty much any of them on a pillow case! My favorite motifs were the adorable woodland animals and the gorgeous handdrawn monogram alphabet. Just with those items from it, I could have all kinds of fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice overview of "free hand" approaches to needlework, July 11, 2013
Amazon Customer (Marysville, WA, US) - See all my reviews
This book recaps all the ways handwork can be used decoratively. The big plus is the approach, which is very free. No strictly defined patterns are given, rather direction in ways of customization are emphasized, as are "out of the box" approaches. I was happy to have information about sashiko, which I have not used, but I have been liberated in myprojects are far as rigid design is concerned for a long time, so I found not much else intriguing. If you have never strayed from the printed instructions, this is a non-threatening introduction and well worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for taking the next step, April 24, 2013
Amalia Johanson (St. Charles, IL United States) - See all my reviews
If you love embroidery and are ready to try out new varieties beyond the basics, this is a great place to start. I especially love that Aimee takes traditional techniques and applies them in her own cute and modern style. So glad to have this in my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational and fun!, March 28, 2013
I bought this book because I have Aimee Ray's first two Doodle Stitching books and really enjoy them but was somewhat skeptical about how much this one would engage me. I'm a competent and enthusiastic embroiderer but didn't really think techniques "beyond" embroidery would apply to me. I was wrong! I'm excited to see the variety of stitching styles presented here for beginning and experienced stitchers, and to build on the base of skills I already have with different materials and techniques. I'm already halfway through one of the redwork patterns and getting ready to order some fabric and yarn for crewel work. Thanks, Aimee, for another delicious-looking book and a great tutorial full of inspiration and instruction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for basic stitchers and more advanced, August 17, 2013
This book has a lot of great ideas. If you have not embroidered for a while some of the designs are nice and simple and you can easily take it with you to work on as you end up in waiting rooms. There is such a great variety of projects, I have to steal it back from my kids because they keep borrowing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So stinkin' cute!, August 16, 2013
I love Aimee Ray's books and this is no exception. You will embark on a journey of cuteness that just won't quit! Great projects, pictures, instructions, and eye candy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too cute!, June 27, 2013
The designs in this embroidery book are too cute! And the author gives you tons of project ideas. I can't wait to get started on Christmas presents!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little Wonder, May 18, 2014
Michelle "Camelio" (all over the world) - See all my reviews
I really recommend this book to the ones that really enjoy embroidery, has ways to open your creativity and do small wonders that

everyone will admire. Really like it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›