Doom 3 - BFG Edition
Platform: Xbox 360Change
Price:$14.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 18, 2012
Doom 3: BFG Edition is a HD update of Doom 3, but also includes Resurrection of Evil, The Lost Mission, the original Doom and Doom 2. You get plenty of content for your money.

I'll briefly summarize the story: You play a marine sent to Mars for security and to find a missing scientist; unfortunately for you, a gateway to Hell is broken and the facility is overrunned by demons. It has cutscenes, and some chilling audio logs which are very well done and worth listening to.

First, the game still holds up. The graphics are even better than some modern games; obviously they can't compete with the best of this generation, but it can compete with some. The gameplay and framerate are mostly smooth, although the framerate drops briefly after an autosave or load screen. The gameplay is old-school and fun but it may not be for everyone. (I.e. No cover system, no regenerative health, no aiming down your sights) It wasn't a problem for me. Load screens are a little lengthy, by the way. The technical transition of Doom 3 was great, overall.

Doom 3 is a scary game. The intro when all hell breaks loose (literally) is amazing as you hear the chilling calls for help. Plenty of jump-out scares, as well. Even with the new mounted light, the game is still scary since the battery quickly depletes and doesn't completely light up the area. Since the monsters/demons spawn so quickly and randomly, you always have to look over your shoulder which adds to the tension. Conversely, since the monsters spawn so randomly and often, you're often involved in a lot of shooting which kills the atmosphere and tension at certain times.

Overall, I've really enjoyed Doom 3: BFG Edition; this is for the fans of story driven games with amazing atmosphere. If you haven't played Doom 3 yet, if you're a big fan of Doom, or if your just looking for something scary for the season, then I highly recommend this game. If you've been spoiled by modern shooters and just can't go back, then I'd recommend waiting for a price drop or sale.

Update 11/4/12:
I've completed the original Doom 3 campaign, the Resurrection of Evil campaign, and the Lost Mission. I did not find any significant technical issues, the campaigns are 100% playable. As for the multiplayer, the online community is not active (i.e. dead); I couldn't find any online games or players, so if you wanted to play online, this game is not for you.

Approximate Playtimes (based on saves before final boss fights) -
Doom 3: 9hrs
Resurrection of Evil: 3hrs 30 min
The Lost Mission: 2hrs
TOTAL: 14 hours and 30 minutes
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2012
I loved all the Doom games, and Doom 3 was my biggest love/hate relationship since Robin Murphy in the 8th grade, man, she was great, she had this long brown hair and...wait, the game, oh.

I've purchased this for the Xbox 360 and I'm really glad I did. Back in the day when D3 came out I had a good gaming computer that I built, but D3 gave it a real run for it's money. The lighting was bugging out my system and I had to lower the detail to play. I was also frustrated by the infamous lack of a flashlight while aiming a gun issue...I know many "purists" deride this complaint as part of the game design when in fact, it was taken out due to technical limitations of the day. The game engine couldn't handle it.

Well now you get Doom 3, with a flashlight, and looking REALLY good on my Xbox. The graphics which were state of the art for PC in 2004, now look sweet on a modern console. These graphics are better than the original console version having been upgraded for BFG edition. I don't have a 3D setup, so I can't comment on that, but the remastered 5.1 sound is GREAT through my home theater system.

Also added was a checkpoint save system. Most of these "upgrades" have been around for awhile via PC mods and if you played Doom 3 on your PC back in the day, there is little new content. There is a brand new small expansion that looks to be a much faster pace than the drawn out main story line and the earlier expansion pack. Also included is Doom and Doom II

So, if you are like me, and you rage quit Doom 3 back in the day (I'm much better now, honest) and you have the ability to return to something you once threw away, I think this is a good but expensive buy, so maybe wait.

But if you never played Doom 3, this is the game that gave Dead Space it's ideas on horror, so you should really pick it up! It's a fantastic game and killing monsters is SO much fun with the "original" BFG...and now it's more flashlighty!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Recently you may have picked up the re-release of Halo:CE for the 360 which not only includes a revamped look of the game with 5.1 sound, stereoscopic imagery etc but also the ability to instantly switch to the original in all it's ancient graphic glory. 343 Studios who handled the remake did a bang up job as they kept the purity of the gameplay but managed to up the graphics considerably.

Doom 3 BFG for the 360 is not in that mold. It's effectively the old PC version running on your Xbox 360. There's no real improvement in graphics over a high-end PC of the time although the inclusion of surround sound is a nice touch. Therefore do expect some muddy textures in places and low poly characters. Since there's no real increase in graphics, given the extra power of the 360, it does mean the game easily runs at 60fps which is a nice smooth thing of beauty.

The game is, as you may remember, a series of corridors with monsters that either materialize out of thin air or spring out of cupboards and shout 'boo!'. Really that's all there is. Sure there's a couple of little puzzle bits where you drop barrels into a furnace or move bridges around, but basically it's a linear trot from one area to the next with bad guys surprising you. And really that's all it needs! I'm playing through on 'Marine' difficulty and am enjoying every minute of the nostalgia the game is pouring out.

Also included are all of the update level packs and of course the original Doom 1 and 2, albeit with the latter showing a sanitized version without the satanic imagery. The earlier Dooms play as they did without the ability to jump or look up or down and it still works fine. Sound on the originals, especially the music is a little subdued but it's still the same as it was.

I do have three complaints one of which I feel is more serious than the others. Firstly you should not install the game disc if you intend to play Doom 1 or 2 as you simply cannot whilst it's installed on your HD. If you have an aging 360 then perhaps this might be a problem in terms of stress on the drive and noise, but really performance wise you don't lose anything. The second issue is in Doom 3. It autosaves at the worst possible time seemingly randomly and the action halts for about 4 seconds when it happens. There's plenty of elevators and areas with no action where the autosave would be preferable, but instead it seems to kick in when it's least appropriate. Gets quite annoying after a while. You have a manual save option at any time so a game-pausing auto save seems superfluous.

My final complaint, and it's probably the most unacceptable is the flashlight (which you can at least now have on as you fire your weapons) does not cast real-time shadows. There's lots of environmental lighting in the game, in fact there's an NPC at the beginning that you follow and his lantern casts shadows everywhere. Yet the most important light, your own, does not. Even the original Xbox version had a kludged shadow coming off the flashlight. I cannot fathom why they left this out; there's plenty of processing power left and in terms of atmosphere you lose a lot without those ominous shadows coming off your torch. A star off for that.

Other than that this is Doom 3. It's not better than Doom 3 was all those years... it's just D3 with all the trimmings on your 360 and the original 1993+ Dooms thrown in. And that's no bad thing.
on November 20, 2012
I like to have games I can co-op with a friend. This game says it offers co-op on the back panel, but there is a caveat. It only offers co-op on Doom and Doom 2, NOT on Doom 3!

Also, if you install the game to the Xbox 360 hard drive you'll find that it will not allow you to play Doom or Doom 2 unless you uninstall it. What a huge pain in the butt!

I'm barely past the first stage and I already want to trade this in. At best this is a $20 game, definitely not worth $40. While they have made significant improvements in the frame rate, they've done nothing to increase the polygon counts on anything. Sadly this makes the game's age become overwhelmingly apparent. So what if it's running at 1080p, it still looks crappy when you see a soda can which is made up of 8 total polygons! Even the FMV sequences weren't rehashed for the higher resolution. This means that even videos that should be obscenely crisp are actually greatly artifacted by poor compression.

I did notice some issues with imagery being removed from Doom, but I don't care. It still feels like the same game to be. To be honest, after finding the lack of co-op in Doom 3, my friends and I spent more time playing the original Doom than anything, but I still don't feel good about how much I paid for this game.
on June 23, 2014
My first real FPS was Wolfenstein followed quickly by the original Doom series. This port to the xbox was pretty much just as I remember from graphics, sound, gameplay, etc. My son didn't like the graphics because they are old style, but I remember when the reverse ray casting and sprites were cutting edge. This really took me back and I love just running around and shooting things without worrying about skill trees and such found in other games. Bullets, guns, monsters = fun.
on April 3, 2014
Im biased since i loved this game when it first came out. But i will saw the sharp new features and redone graphics are a welcome improvement. The fact that this is a bundle of: Doom I, Doom II, 3 Resurection of Evil and 8 lost levels made it a steal.

I have only played a few of the new levels. They are quick to give you guns and start tossing baddies at you right away. No story. Just run and gun. Have to say, it lacks the same dimension and nightmarish effects that 3 and its expansion have in spades. But still fun

All around: same Doom I love, just had a tummy tuck and face lift
on June 5, 2013
Loved it fun to play. 3 in 1 game. great graphic upgrade from the old one. it plays slightly different but its the same game.
on April 1, 2013
This was one of my favorite first person shooter games growing up. Had to upgrade my PC to be able to run this at that time. Played it again on my Xbox and it proved why it was so good. The scary effects and the story line were impeccable. The new expansion pack is a good addition.
on January 29, 2013
The game itself provided hours of fun and challenges as well as some additional episodes. I played this the original Doom and Doom 2 in the 90s and it was the number one reason for getting me hooked on video games. Really nice to play these two PC games on my XBOX 360. I really hope they make a 4th one because I want more!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 25, 2012
I loved it. The graphs might be out of the date by current standards but for all of us who had a great time the first time we played all these games it is a must have.

Really happy with the purchase.