Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Platform: Xbox 360Change

on October 17, 2012
Doom 3: BFG Edition is a HD update of Doom 3, but also includes Resurrection of Evil, The Lost Mission, the original Doom and Doom 2. You get plenty of content for your money.

I'll briefly summarize the story: You play a marine sent to Mars for security and to find a missing scientist; unfortunately for you, a gateway to Hell is broken and the facility is overrunned by demons. It has cutscenes, and some chilling audio logs which are very well done and worth listening to.

First, the game still holds up. The graphics are even better than some modern games; obviously they can't compete with the best of this generation, but it can compete with some. The gameplay and framerate are mostly smooth, although the framerate drops briefly after an autosave or load screen. The gameplay is old-school and fun but it may not be for everyone. (I.e. No cover system, no regenerative health, no aiming down your sights) It wasn't a problem for me. Load screens are a little lengthy, by the way. The technical transition of Doom 3 was great, overall.

Doom 3 is a scary game. The intro when all hell breaks loose (literally) is amazing as you hear the chilling calls for help. Plenty of jump-out scares, as well. Even with the new mounted light, the game is still scary since the battery quickly depletes and doesn't completely light up the area. Since the monsters/demons spawn so quickly and randomly, you always have to look over your shoulder which adds to the tension. Conversely, since the monsters spawn so randomly and often, you're often involved in a lot of shooting which kills the atmosphere and tension at certain times.

Overall, I've really enjoyed Doom 3: BFG Edition; this is for the fans of story driven games with amazing atmosphere. If you haven't played Doom 3 yet, if you're a big fan of Doom, or if your just looking for something scary for the season, then I highly recommend this game. If you've been spoiled by modern shooters and just can't go back, then I'd recommend waiting for a price drop or sale.

Update 11/4/12:
I've completed the original Doom 3 campaign, the Resurrection of Evil campaign, and the Lost Mission. I did not find any significant technical issues, the campaigns are 100% playable. As for the multiplayer, the online community is not active (i.e. dead); I couldn't find any online games or players, so if you wanted to play online, this game is not for you.

Approximate Playtimes (based on saves before final boss fights) -
Doom 3: 9hrs
Resurrection of Evil: 3hrs 30 min
The Lost Mission: 2hrs
TOTAL: 14 hours and 30 minutes
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2012
I loved all the Doom games, and Doom 3 was my biggest love/hate relationship since Robin Murphy in the 8th grade, man, she was great, she had this long brown hair and...wait, the game, oh.

I've purchased this for the Xbox 360 and I'm really glad I did. Back in the day when D3 came out I had a good gaming computer that I built, but D3 gave it a real run for it's money. The lighting was bugging out my system and I had to lower the detail to play. I was also frustrated by the infamous lack of a flashlight while aiming a gun issue...I know many "purists" deride this complaint as part of the game design when in fact, it was taken out due to technical limitations of the day. The game engine couldn't handle it.

Well now you get Doom 3, with a flashlight, and looking REALLY good on my Xbox. The graphics which were state of the art for PC in 2004, now look sweet on a modern console. These graphics are better than the original console version having been upgraded for BFG edition. I don't have a 3D setup, so I can't comment on that, but the remastered 5.1 sound is GREAT through my home theater system.

Also added was a checkpoint save system. Most of these "upgrades" have been around for awhile via PC mods and if you played Doom 3 on your PC back in the day, there is little new content. There is a brand new small expansion that looks to be a much faster pace than the drawn out main story line and the earlier expansion pack. Also included is Doom and Doom II

So, if you are like me, and you rage quit Doom 3 back in the day (I'm much better now, honest) and you have the ability to return to something you once threw away, I think this is a good but expensive buy, so maybe wait.

But if you never played Doom 3, this is the game that gave Dead Space it's ideas on horror, so you should really pick it up! It's a fantastic game and killing monsters is SO much fun with the "original" BFG...and now it's more flashlighty!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 28, 2012
Recently you may have picked up the re-release of Halo:CE for the 360 which not only includes a revamped look of the game with 5.1 sound, stereoscopic imagery etc but also the ability to instantly switch to the original in all it's ancient graphic glory. 343 Studios who handled the remake did a bang up job as they kept the purity of the gameplay but managed to up the graphics considerably.

Doom 3 BFG for the 360 is not in that mold. It's effectively the old PC version running on your Xbox 360. There's no real improvement in graphics over a high-end PC of the time although the inclusion of surround sound is a nice touch. Therefore do expect some muddy textures in places and low poly characters. Since there's no real increase in graphics, given the extra power of the 360, it does mean the game easily runs at 60fps which is a nice smooth thing of beauty.

The game is, as you may remember, a series of corridors with monsters that either materialize out of thin air or spring out of cupboards and shout 'boo!'. Really that's all there is. Sure there's a couple of little puzzle bits where you drop barrels into a furnace or move bridges around, but basically it's a linear trot from one area to the next with bad guys surprising you. And really that's all it needs! I'm playing through on 'Marine' difficulty and am enjoying every minute of the nostalgia the game is pouring out.

Also included are all of the update level packs and of course the original Doom 1 and 2, albeit with the latter showing a sanitized version without the satanic imagery. The earlier Dooms play as they did without the ability to jump or look up or down and it still works fine. Sound on the originals, especially the music is a little subdued but it's still the same as it was.

I do have three complaints one of which I feel is more serious than the others. Firstly you should not install the game disc if you intend to play Doom 1 or 2 as you simply cannot whilst it's installed on your HD. If you have an aging 360 then perhaps this might be a problem in terms of stress on the drive and noise, but really performance wise you don't lose anything. The second issue is in Doom 3. It autosaves at the worst possible time seemingly randomly and the action halts for about 4 seconds when it happens. There's plenty of elevators and areas with no action where the autosave would be preferable, but instead it seems to kick in when it's least appropriate. Gets quite annoying after a while. You have a manual save option at any time so a game-pausing auto save seems superfluous.

My final complaint, and it's probably the most unacceptable is the flashlight (which you can at least now have on as you fire your weapons) does not cast real-time shadows. There's lots of environmental lighting in the game, in fact there's an NPC at the beginning that you follow and his lantern casts shadows everywhere. Yet the most important light, your own, does not. Even the original Xbox version had a kludged shadow coming off the flashlight. I cannot fathom why they left this out; there's plenty of processing power left and in terms of atmosphere you lose a lot without those ominous shadows coming off your torch. A star off for that.

Other than that this is Doom 3. It's not better than Doom 3 was all those years... it's just D3 with all the trimmings on your 360 and the original 1993+ Dooms thrown in. And that's no bad thing.
on May 23, 2015
Solid old school shooters are refreshingly fun compared to the twitchy shooters of today.
This is a great package. Doom 3 with the expansions, and the original Doom 1 and 2. There's a lot of game to stay busy for a while.
The corridor, horror setting still makes this game feel unique. The guns feel powerful, the levels make it seem like it would be easy to get lost but the game always has a way to point you in the right direction so you don't get lost for too long. The enemies aren't your normal zombie cannon fodder either. They're armed, will take cover and put up a good fight. Other various monstrosities provide the jump out at you scares. Speaking of scares, this game has great atmosphere. Little to no music, creepy sound effects like footsteps and monster noises, dimly lit areas and some just pitch black. Yes, you can use your flashlight and shoot at the same time but the flashlight is on a timer so use it in the darkest areas. Health packs are used instead of regenerating health which also helps keep things intense and challenging.
This is a fun and all around solid shooter that's perfect to play alone in the dark. No complaints here. Recommended.
on November 1, 2012
First off. Doom has been an amazing franchise for two decades. I was really frustrated w/ Doom 3 due to the blindness factor and only was able to beat it on pansy mode, but I figured I'd give it another shot because of the lighting changes. The first two games are dynamite as usual (I think they've put an add-on to Doom II that I've never seen). The controls are adapted to FPS Xbox 360 games as expected. I was used to a D-Pad and 4 buttons on my Gravis Gamepad on the PC, but the controls are easy to adapt to. Doom 3 has had a major overhaul and has been greatly upgraded in graphics (Comparable to Rage). The new armorlight system enables you to stay ready for a gunfight without smacking an Imp w/ a Flashlight. The only complaint I have is that it has crouch being done by pressing the Right Stick button down, which is also the same stick you use to aim, making it nearly impossible to shoot a guy while ducking down. The controls are a little quarky for that game, but other than that, a major upgrade and very enjoyable. Definitely worth the $40 if you're a long time Doom fan.
on October 17, 2012
I'll spare you any pointless back story about myself that I know you don't care about. However, I will say I did own the original when it came out back in 2004.

Fast forward to 2012, and here we have one of the finest examples of an anniversary gift set release.

As I'm sure you know Doom 1 and 2 are included. They are the original versions. They look fantastic and sound classic--the good kind of classic. (Note: you must not install Doom 3 to the hard drive in order for Doom 1 and Doom 2 to work. But they are indeed included for free on the disc.) That being said, I was primarily excited for this game for one thing and one thing only -- Doom 3.

(Disclaimer: This review of Doom 3 is based off of over 6 hours of gaming.)

The game (Doom 3) plays at a blindly fast 60fps. Back in '04 my PC couldn't even come close to handling this game on the highest setting. But what we have here, is Doom 3 on the ultimate graphics setting. The graphics, for what they are -- almost 10 years old -- are amazing. They're not as revolutionary as they once were, not by a long shot. But they're better than ever, now, rendered in HD and in widescreen. Doom 3 was meant to be played this way. Seriously, it's beautiful.

There is one small technical issue though...the audio.

I read some BS review on some BS site about how the audio quality is low, and the balance if off between ambient sound, weapon sound effects, enemies noises, and the PDA voices. I thought the reviewer was full of it. But it's kind of, KIND OF, true. The fact that I cannot control individual elements of sound in the options menu is a bummer. I would increase the weapon sound effects for sure. The enemy sounds are too low as well. The voices, both on the PDA recordings, and over the radio, are fine, for the most part. But a couple (literally, I came across 2) PDAs sound like they may be mastered a little too loud. The ambient sound of the UAC Mars base is perfect, however.

Not only are the sound levels kind of weak, but the overall sound clarity is indeed not as crisp as I would have liked, or as I remember it. Right from the beginning, the main menu's song sounds like its a 192kps mp3. The gun sound effects have little to no punch as well. In any case, of course I am more used to sound from today's video games, Blu-ray sound, high def music files. So perhaps this really was the audio clarity in the original version on PC, and perhaps I am remembering the game through rose-tinted glasses, if you will. For my money, this is no deal breaker. And, if I may humbly suggest, it shouldn't be for you either. (Again, the ambient sound's clarity is just fine.) Maybe we'll get a patch to let us control the levels of the individual sound elements. That would be perfect.

The game is really fun, controls are intuitive, frames per second is a solid 60, no screen tearing whatsoever, and the gameplay genuinely frightening at times (thanks to incredible ambient sound--which has been inspirational for me through the years). And that's just for Doom 3!

At this price, you simply cannot go wrong picking this up for all that is offered in this set. Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, and the new Lost Mission. This is the definitive collection of Doom.

Turn off your lights, play with headphones on (or turn up the volume), read and listen to the PDAs, and I swear you will fall in love with this game just like I did back in '04.
on August 1, 2015
I had the plain old Doom 3 for the old Xbox but I had to get this edition for all of the extras. It was sure fun to play the original Doom and Doom 2 again after all these years. Lost Missions was kind of fun but very short and Resurrection of Evil was entertaining and provided about 4-5 hours of gameplay. My biggest complaint though, and why I didn't give this a full 5 stars, is the amount of lag you start running into. I forget where it started but the lag got pretty bad in spots later in the game :( Another complaint is that in the old Doom 3, you could either use your weapon or your flashlight, not both. It added to the game's creepy settings. While it was nice to use the flashlight whenever, it just wasn't the same and felt like you where cheating or something....
on November 20, 2012
I like to have games I can co-op with a friend. This game says it offers co-op on the back panel, but there is a caveat. It only offers co-op on Doom and Doom 2, NOT on Doom 3!

Also, if you install the game to the Xbox 360 hard drive you'll find that it will not allow you to play Doom or Doom 2 unless you uninstall it. What a huge pain in the butt!

I'm barely past the first stage and I already want to trade this in. At best this is a $20 game, definitely not worth $40. While they have made significant improvements in the frame rate, they've done nothing to increase the polygon counts on anything. Sadly this makes the game's age become overwhelmingly apparent. So what if it's running at 1080p, it still looks crappy when you see a soda can which is made up of 8 total polygons! Even the FMV sequences weren't rehashed for the higher resolution. This means that even videos that should be obscenely crisp are actually greatly artifacted by poor compression.

I did notice some issues with imagery being removed from Doom, but I don't care. It still feels like the same game to be. To be honest, after finding the lack of co-op in Doom 3, my friends and I spent more time playing the original Doom than anything, but I still don't feel good about how much I paid for this game.
on October 16, 2012
One thing I must say has been lacking in video games the last few years was a good scare. I had honestly forgotten how intimidating it could be to play doom 3 even after all these years. The atmosphere combines with the abrupt noises and enemies that appear from the shadows really make this a true horror shooter. Playing through a second tone has no way diminished my love of the game and the extra content really adds to the already amazing horror fest. All in all the game delivers, it may be a re-skin of the same game but i cant deny i have had more fun with this game than a majority of others that have come out this year. For any die hard horror fans this game is a must have.
on July 22, 2015
A great port of doom with included doom 1 and 2 as well to play I your 360. With the new doom announced this was the right time to play these again and refresh my memory. It's also nice to be able to use the flashlight with any weapon any time you want in this game. The battery runs down quickly but recharges about as fast so if you use it sparingly it should always be available. This looks as good or better than when I played the original pc version as well as running at a higher resolution than my computer at the time as capable of. If you are a console only gamer now, this is the best version of doom 3 for you to play.