Doorway pullup bar for wider molding??? Has anyone found a pull up bar that WILL mount on molding wider than 3.5 inches? I have the Door Gym model which was GREAT and worked well .... until we moved. The molding above our doors in now 4.5 inches and it won't reach. :(
asked by tahoemom on April 6, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 answers
A
votes
i have 5 inch molding/trim on top of the door and this doesnt fit at all. theres supposed to be a "iron gym xtreme frameless door wall bracket" that screws to the top of the door if your door doesnt have a trim to sit on top of. but you can find a similar L shaped bracket at home depot. just used 4 to spread the weight out and screw them about 3.25-3.5 inches up the top molding and let it hang on the "fake trim". pros: works. cons: numerous holes on your door frame molding. im 240 lbs and it works.
DT answered on May 10, 2010

A
votes
The UD-5 and UD-6 from pullupbar.com have a custom L arm that can fit thickness from 4" to 6.5".
Garret Jax answered on December 28, 2010

A
votes
I have the same problem. I bought mine in a store, and I don't recall the packaging explaining that it does not work with wide moulding. I am thinking of trying to adapt mine myself, using rigid electrical pipe and some 1/4 inch hardware.... hopefully I won't die.
bcq answered on December 9, 2009

A
votes
I just bought this for my boyfriend and we live in an older apartment building with crown molding on every door frame. It doesn't fit what so ever. We're not allowed to make holes in the walls but I guess I'm going to have to try the whole home depot bracket solution. Hopefully I can spackle it up afterwords and no one will notice.
Thomas J. Mcdonald answered on June 19, 2010

A
votes
It's not just the height. In a 1929 house in SF, the walls might be thicker, which makes a deeper door frame. So the whole bent pipes need to be larger in both dimensions to fit well.
Randal Smith answered on October 18, 2011

A
votes
http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/05/09/how-to-make-your-own-pull-up-bar/

this might work for some people. It is a do it yourself thing. I have not tried it yet but I am going to swindle my boyfriend into helping me this weekend. I only weigh 130lbs but it looks like there are some alternatives for heavier folks : )
Pole Minx answered on September 30, 2011

A
votes
http://www.instructables.com/id/No-Screws-or-Holes-Pull-Up-Bar-Door-Gym/

this do it yourself looks even more sturdy! Good luck!
Pole Minx answered on September 30, 2011

A
votes
Same problem. Nowhere on the package does it state the trim size requirements, just "Standard Door." We have 6" upper trim on "standard doors" with 2x4 walls. It seems easy enough for IronGym to have an extension piece for this, but I can't find it anywhere. It would just be a fitted pipe for each upper leg with some more foam and a couple holes. What a pain.
GM-Seattle answered on October 23, 2011

A
votes
DT,

Thanks for the Home Depot Solution. Is there a way you can link us to the bracket on the HD website, or give us the dimensions of the brackets?

Thanks
K. Prasai answered on December 13, 2011

A
votes
I found it! I have 4.5 inch trim. This worked great (it's adjustable). And the price is good.

Perfect Multi-Gym Pullup
Erik Klass answered on January 25, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›