Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dora the Explorer Rainbow Surprise: Felt Fun Storybook (Dora the Explorer (Reader's Digest))
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon March 9, 2011
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love felt boards. Honestly, I miss felt boards. You hardly see them in stores now. 'Dora Rainbow Surprise' is two things-- a storybook and an interactive felt board. Within the book you get 51 felt pieces that attach to a foldable, hard cover play scene. Within the front cover there is a pocket that holds the paperback book in place. There's also a plastic pouch attached to the book to store your pieces in! This is designed with travel in mind and would be perfect for car trips or airplane layovers.

I found the pieces (which come on a perforated piece of felt) easy to prepare. They are various sizes, some big some and some small. The Dora felt piece is about 3 1/2 inches tall and the other pieces (backpack, map, flowers, butterflies) are all proportionate to her size. They stick well to the scene included.

The storybook can be used with or without this felt board. Dora is learning all about colors and shapes. Each page reads like your typical Dora book, but also has an extra bit of text that tells you what pieces you should put on the felt board if you are 'creating the scene' while reading the book. You can read the book with or without these prompts.

Out of all the Dora books I've seen on the market, this is by far my favorite. It has an element of uniqueness to it that others just don't have. Also, as mentioned above, it's travel-friendly, always a nice feature! If you're in the market for a Dora book with a little extra, take a peek at Rainbow Surprise!
on October 6, 2014
A cute story for some child that loves Dora. It is also written as a learning tool ( can you find objects?) It has a felt board that opens up to create one's own little story with the felt pieces enclosed.
on March 22, 2011
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I saved this book as a "surprise" toy for my almost 4 year old little boy (yes, boys like Dora too!) to play with on a short road trip over Spring Break. He enjoyed moving the felt pieces around to create his own story and it kept him entertained for a good hour. Then at night (at the hotel), we read the book for one of our bedtime stories. It is a really cute "say it two ways" story book. It teaches colors and shapes (which my son already knows). I liked that it has a plastic pouch to store the 51 felt pieces (making it perfect for travel). Overall, a great fun toy book for the Dora fan!
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Take a storybook tale with Dora and friends and use, what I remember as a kid, felt pieces on a felt board to highlight the story or create your own story.

This book includes a Dora story with recommendations where to place the multiple felt pieces on the 2 page felt board at the end of the book. The felt holds up even if you put the book up, but don't shake it, and they're easy to remove and use over and over. No sticky backs here.

There's lots of characters and background stuff, and our 4 & 7 year olds took turns placing the pieces on the board. They loved it. It also has a couple of pages of English-Spanish words about colors and shapes. It basic and fun; the reading is early to mid elementary school level.

Also, Christine Ricci, who has written many of these stories is one of the authors. Five stars because the kids really enjoyed and spent time, peacefully, with it!
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2011
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Little girls love Dora. It's not a bad show, and Dora is a good role model for girls - she's smart and kind and doesn't give up. Plus, she speaks multiple languages!

My daughter is almost 4, and loves Dora. She likes this felt book pretty well. There's an actual book attached to it, as well as a convenient pouch to keep all the felt pieces. The felt pieces adhere to the book reasonably well. They include Benny, Map, Dora, and the expected characters, and were a big hit. My daughter was disappointed she couldn't close the book and have them stay in place, but I explained to her this is not that kind of book. I wish the pouch had some kind of more-secure closure, but it's still a lot better than having to carry around a separate baggie with the book.

Kids who love Dora will enjoy this book.
VINE VOICEon March 17, 2011
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I chose this book because my daughter will turn 2 in April. She LOVES Dora. As a teacher I love the concept of telling the story with the felt characters. The book gives you the option of that. The book itself is very sturdy and the felt pieces will last. The only concern is that there is no storage area to keep the felt pieces safe. However, I don't know if I'd want to keep them with the book anyway because they'd most likely get lost.

It is a bit more expensive than your average board book but that's to be expected when you add the material on the book and the extra felt pieces. If your child likes Dora and is celebrating a birthday or other holiday you might want to consider it.
on March 23, 2011
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I waited a few weeks to review this, thinking that maybe the two year old would get tired of this book and put it aside never to be looked at again. Well, I was wrong; she loves this set. Although she enjoys putting the pieces together to make a story, she loves even more to sort them by categories and tell us about each one. It might not appeal to older children, as the story is simple but I recommend it for the younger set (to play with an adult's supervision as some of the pieces are very small). It would be a bit more user friendly if the storage section was a little more sturdy but otherwise, this is a much loved book in our household.
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My kids love Dora the explorer the cartoon show and I was excited to get this book for them. The loved the story and then loved to make up their own story with the felt cutout pieces. There are over 50 pieces for them to place on the felt pad and make up there story with. It really gets the kids imaginations goins and my boys love telling stories. The bag the felt pieces are stored in is kind of flimsy and not the best but that can be easily fixed by just using your own storage bag. A really great book that makes kids think and be creative.
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a cute little book with a felt story board and felt pieces that my daughter absolutely LOVES to arrange and rearrange "just so" into her own little adventures. We play games (like in the book) of finding all the red pieces, all the blue pieces, etc...but she prefers to just sort them out in her own little way and create her own little stories. There are a lot of tiny pieces, so we have to be careful we don't lose them, but all in all, this is a great little set and keeps my daughter occupied for quite awhile. We love it!
VINE VOICEon March 1, 2011
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This "Dora" book/and play set will have great appeal to young children. The book teaches colors and shapes in English and Spanish. The book is inside a felt board scene and includes a plastic pouch with many cute, colorful felt forms. Children can create many stories and facilitate language development with these tools. It's a well thought out package. Highly recommended.