on January 20, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
The other night my wife and I were quietly talking in one of the usually unused back bedrooms around 9:30 PM when we heard the distinct tone of a cell phone right outside the french door! It is a shock to discover how easily your space, your life, can be invaded. That only happens to other people, in bad neighborhoods!

I immediately started looking at motion triggered lights on Amazon hoping the technology has improved in the ten years since I bought and laboriously installed two different lights with totally unsatisfactory results. The Dorcy, especially at the relatively low cost, had good ratings here so, I ordered one from Amazon. It is a nice size and looks nice. Set up was absurdly easy, especially compared to the expensive wired-in units. I mounted it temporarily then set out to test it at night. The detection is spot on from the sides I would expect an intruder. As others have stated, the light is startlingly, surprisingly bright! If I were an intruder hit by it, I would certainly take off. I'll update this review after 6 months use.

I wouldn't change my previous review. Still very satisfied. And the batteries are still going after 6 months.

8 months out the light started cycling on and off. No idea how long it had been doing this. I took it inside in a dark room with nothing moving and it still malfunctioned. Still on the original batteries though. I'll try to take it apart to clean the sensor.

EDIT 11/2/12
New Batteries did solve the cycling.

EDIT: June 2013
Still the best motion sensor light I've used.

Edit: April, 2014
Batteries last quite a long time actually. We have an active population of night critters here, the usual urban opossums and racoons. A large flood control reservoir (about 2 by 2 miles) a block away harbors a lot of wildlife and an occasional wild cat and coyote have been seen in the neighborhood at night. For a while one or the other was killing and eating small pets left outside! Anyway, the light gets triggered a lot. I bought another brand light and it does the same thing, as does a motion activated back porch light. Of course when I look out I can't see anything.

Still satisfied.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 8, 2009
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Wow...what an awesome little light! After finding a number of similar lights on the web with "so-so" reviews I stumbled across this one. Reviews were pretty good and not too expensive so I decided to take a chance. Turns out this is a great light. It's well made, has 4 D-size batteries which are easy to replace, it looks good, very easy to mount (2 screws) and tilts and rotates. No...it doesn't turn night into day but it provides more than enough light when coming home after dark. The motion sensor is very sensitive and has a fairly wide detection angle. I have my light mounted near my front door and pointed straight at the door handle but when my foot hits my front steps the light comes on. The light does not come on in daytime like some of the other lights I saw so you don't waste the batteries during the daytime. The manufacturer claims that alkaline batteries will last up to 3 years but if they last just one year I will be more than satisfied. The light has a couple of duration settings so I'm sure the 3 year battery life is based on a limited number of the shortest light duration setting.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I purchased two of these lights as they look identical to another name branded light on Amazon which I loved so I decided to try it as it was more affordable. The unit is almost identical in fit and function to another light on Amazon and it was a breeze to set up. The light is very white and fairly bright for a cordless variant. It's not going to be as bright as a 110 volt motion floodlight but it is perfect for those dark sides of our house where no outlet or light is present to hook up a motion sensing floodlight. The sensitivity is very good and they seem well built. I actually dropped one from about 10 feet while trying to install it and aside from a few scratches, it was fine. I did have to downgrade one star as one of the two units I purchased had a broken nut to connect the base to the light...maybe from shipping? Anyhow, it was a fairly easy fix using my own small nut & bolt so I didn't have to deal with a return and delays. Overall I have recommended this light to others who need a motion light wherea cordless light is ideal.
on December 9, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I live "in the middle of no-where" on the Big Island of Hawaii where you cannot see your hand in front of your face at night sometimes! I'm off-grid and wiring lights is a big deal. The bedroom is about 75 feet from the rest of the house so I installed it in the pathway pointing toward the kitchen. I used the template included in the box to locate the 2 screws, installed 3 rechargeable D batteries, set the light switches to bright and to stay on 2 minutes and waited until dark.

Holy Canoly, it lit the entire pathway plus easily 30 to 40 feet on either side of the path. I absolutely LOVE this light! I can envision using this light all over my one acre property outside as well as some areas inside. I think I'll place one above my headboard so that if I hear a noise, the entire bedroom will be lit inside; no more reaching for the flashlight! Maybe above the toilet! Since I'll definitely be ordering more, I'm seriously thinking I'll be using one as a flashlight. A SUPER flashlight for sure! omg...I love this light and for $20 you just can't beat it! Thank you Dorcy and Amazon.
on June 20, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Light works well, not super bright (It is only one LED bulb...but meets expectations)

Sensor only turns light on when it is dark...really dark. So, if you mount it near an outside light source, it may be too bright to allow the light to turn on. (My experience when mounting it too near my garage door light, 5 feet away.)

Also, reviewers that state that it stays on, should have read the directions. That means the batteries need to be replaced.

This current model (purchased in June 2011) has no adjustments for length of time the light stays on or sensor sensitivity. The light stays on for 30 seconds unless it continues to detect motion.

The light mounts via one screw into the base. It took me a total of about 30 seconds to install.

Hope my 2-cents helps someone out.
on September 27, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This is my 2nd one of these. And for some reason this one is missing the little switches within the unit to change the brightness of the light and to change the duration of the light when triggered--oh well, the unit was cheaper than before. As a security light, it works well. The light is bright enough to light up a couple vehicles in my driveway from a position on the peak of the front of the house, and the motion sensor picks up movement in the area as it should. So there are no problems with the functionality of the unit.

However, it needs some improvements for outdoors. First off, water will still get in around the outer circumference of the unit where the actual "light/sensor" part attaches to the mounted section, as well as the area around the sensor. I'm guessing condensation will get in, as well, as the unit isn't fully sealed. Water is what ruined my first one after a few months...rain can come from all angles--as we all know--and when I took the light apart, the whole bottom portion was filled with water.

My solution, which has worked so far, is: Before attaching the light/sensor part to the mount, I took superglue (silicone caulking will work, too...just a tad messier to work with) and put a few layers around the edge of the actual sensor and light, making a waterproof seal (be sure you let it dry fully). Then, after connecting the light section to the mounted part, I took black duct tape (the tape is barely noticeable) and wrapped it around the outer circumference of the security light, so the two halves have a waterproof seal now that also can be removed later when the batteries need to be changed. I used a few layers, as the sun and weather will wear down duct tape after a while and multiple layers will prevent the tape from becoming completely deteriorated and useless. Now, water/condensation can't get in at all.

11/2/11 Welp, this one stopped working, as well. It lasted longer with the improvements but eventually it stopped working--like the first one did. It wasn't full of water this time and the batteries tested fine so I can't really say why it stopped, but either way I'm changing my rating of it and not buying again. Oh well, I gave it a try...it's nice, when it actually works.
on December 16, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I just received the 2 Dorcy LED wireless motion-sensor floodlights I ordered from Amazon last week. They arrived in an extremely timely fashion, as always!

I needed the floodlights to light up a dark, treacherous area on the lower area of the front steps that go down a steep hill to the street in front of my home. I also wanted the area around my car lit as well. It not only helps with parallel parking on a dark street at night, but also helps to deter car break-ins.

I wanted a battery-powered light, because in addition to having no electricity down where I wanted to mount the lights, the entire North-facing front yard is in the shade from about October to March, so solar is weak, at best, in the winter.

These lights were much better than I expected. There are 2 settings for both brightness, and length of time the light is on. Choosing the lower settings lengthens battery life. The light is so bright, even on the lower setting, that I really could have gotten by with just one light instead of two. It throws off a wide, bright swath of bluish-white light, and those steps and the street below are now much, much brighter and safer.

The sensor is great, too... the slightest motion, even way off to the side, turns on the light, which is exactly what I wanted. There are both a 30-second setting and a 2-minute setting on the time the light stays on. The 30-second works well for my needs, because as long as anything is moving about within range of the sensor, it stays on. Yet shortly after I leave, it turns off.

I mounted them to a large fruit tree near the front steps, down near the street. It was a little tricky, mainly due to the angle of the tree and the steep slope it sits on! But once mounted, the black color of the lights was perfect... they don't look out-of-place, and in fact, almost look like part of the tree, from a short distance away. In order to use the template to mark where the holes should be drilled for the mounting screws, I couldn't use a pen or pencil on the dark-colored tree bark. So, what I did was pre-punch 2 small holes where the screw marks were on the template, and then I used white Liquid Paper to mark the drilling spots. You really do have to get the screws just right, which takes a little doing, especially up in a tree. But it's worth it, because when it's time to change the batteries, it's easy to lift the light assembly off the mounting screws.

I'll know more later about how long the batteries last, but barring defective batteries (the lights take 3 regular "D" batteries), I would expect many months of reliable use. One reviewer said the light didn't go on at first, and after they gave it a little whack, it then worked. Battery-operated things can be like that, sometimes. I gave mine a couple of not-too-hard, open-handed swats, and it perked right up and began working perfectly. ;)

I gave the highest rating to this product because it was not just okay, it was exactly what I was looking for, and functions exactly the way I wanted it to. I hope to buy a couple more in the future, to light up stairway areas and garbage can areas (we have naughty raccoons) on both sides of the house. Good product! I'm a happy camper.

UPDATE: 12/10/2011 - I liked these floodlights so much, I just bought 2 more to light up the sides of the house! The upstairs tenants (this is a triplex) are thrilled... no more groping their way up dark stairways at night, and one tenant likes how it lights up the side of the house when he's using his barbeque. Since this place isn't fenced, they also make perfect security lights. The batteries DO last a long time... about a year or so. When it's time to change the batteries, the floodlight remains on, and somewhat dimmer, without turning off. That's how you'll know when to change them. Also, when it's time to change the batteries, you don't have to fiddle with the mounting screws again... just unscrew the front of the light, and the part that comes off contains the batteries. Easy to change them and then screw it back on. I can't say enough good things about this well-designed and hard-working flood light!
on August 5, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
The Amazon listing for the Dorcy 41-1071 light states that it has two time adjustments, a brightness adjustment, and an on/off switch. This light has NONE of these features!!! Ripoff!!! And the company confirms that the listing is wrong. Amazon, I think you owe an apology and at least a partial refund to everyone expecting a light with these extra features.
on July 18, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
The light is turning on during a day. It is supposed to turn on only during the night. When I requested exchange, I would have to pay for shipping it back. It is not worth it.
on December 3, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I ordered one each of the Dorcy and Mr Beams LED security lights - wondering what the difference was. Conclusion: They are identical except for packaging.
-------------------------------------------------

Dorcy 41-1071 LED Wireless Motion Sensor Flood Lite came in a pretty colorful box. $21.76 plus tax.

Mr Beams MB360 Wireless LED Spotlight with Motion Sensor and Photocell - Weatherproof - Battery Operated - 140 Lumens came in a plain box. $22.37 plus tax.
---------------------------------------------------

I like them both. To quote other reviewers:

" This little light was easy to install and so far has worked very well. " - BERNARD IASIELLO
" The light isn't super bright but it is bright enough to light up a large area. " - A. Edmonds
" It is bright, it works well, and the battery life is long. " - King
-----------------------------------------------------

I would add: The units both detect motion as much as 30-40ft away. They are slightly less bright than my 100 watt motion sensor porch light (110volt). They are quite a bit less bright compared to my double flood lights on 110volt (which cost me a fortune to have wired). As stated in instructions: "... only goes on in complete darkness!" Therefore, unit may function poorly near street lights, other brighter security lights, and near windows with interior house lights on.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations