4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good product for this price

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the money
Published on August 19, 2009 by Jeff

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good product for this price, March 18, 2010
D. Oswald (St . Louis MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dorcy 41-4269 K2 LED Aluminum Flashlight with 6AAA-Battery (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is now the 4th Dorcy light I own and it was bought because of the need for a slightly brighter light than the others as we have recently had problems with Raccoons and Opossums in the yard getting into trash cans and need to make sure they aren't present prior to letting the dogs out at night as those animals can realy do some damage to a dog if they encounter each other .

The other lights are 4+ years old and the 2 brightest was rated at 80 Lumens and seems to have dimmed slightly over the years as has the other one but it is a Metal Gear rated at only 45 Lumens .

On high this light is very bright and quite up to the task of Identifying things easily at 100ft of yard+ even at the low setting it is brighter than the older others which means that either they have indeed lost some power over the years or this light is more than 80 Lumens which would be half of the advertised High setting for it .

The closest thing to a complaint I have about these Dorcy's is the fact that they have a post in the tailcap with a hole to use a lanyard yet it doesn't come with one nor does Dorcy offer it as an after market accessory you can by .

I don't know how one can find much fault with the Dorcy brand because my others have survived many accidental drops from as high as 6 Feet+ and they still keep working just fine and as far as their use of AAA batteries get a quality charger and a few sets of NiMH batteries and your good to go , this is what I have done and with the exception of a child throwing away some of my rechargables because he forgot what they were I have over a dozen batteries that I have been using since I got the lights .

5.0 out of 5 stars Weekend Warrior !!, March 29, 2011
Cyclist01222 "Paul" (Williamsburg,VA USA) - See all my reviews
Of the many flashlights I own this has been one of the best. The biggest reason is the price... got it on clearance at Target for $18. That's a lot of light output for the money! It is solid and well made but certainly not indestructable. I don't abuse it too much or submerge it in water as it is not advertised as a hardened, waterproof item. It is protected by flimsy, misplaced o-rings which warned me of this. So don't soak this thing or hammer with it. Nice lanyard hole on the end cap!

If you need or like a strong "spot" light this one will fit the bill. This is its main function. There is a bit of spill light available but only because of the shear brightness it puts out, not by design. Not sure how accurate other reviewers are with comments on Lumen output and I'm not a Lumen measuring expert but this sucker is Brilliant! The spot is Tight, White and Bright! I have a few more lights rated at over 100 lumens and the Dorcy is the brightest. Great for nightwatchman, rent a cops, mall security, outdoorsman etc. Not for serious life and death use such as military, tactical, firefighting, mining, diving etc. You should always seek out proper equipment if engaging in these type of activities.

I love the fact that this light uses inexpensive, easy to find AAA's. This is a great and convenient feature for this type of light - thanks Dorcy! And your light will shine bright for well more than 10 hours! The polycarbonate lens will scratch but there are many products available to polish it up if needed. All in all a great product if cared for properly. I'm glad I have one.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the money, August 19, 2009
Jeff (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I'd give it more of a 2.5, so I rounded up. This is a DECENT flashlight, but I'm not sure how anyone can rate it 5 stars. There is no way that this light emits 160 lumens of light on a target over 100ft. Maybe that's how much it CAN emit with fully charged quality batteries at a much closer target, but you have to subtract for light lost coming out of the lens and spill off of the reflector. This light MIGHT throw a beam 100ft, but is probably only illuminating it at around 10-20 lumens. The lens is not glass, but a polycarbonate. The batteries start to sputter out and the light dims after about 3 weeks of moderate use (10-15mins a day), so be prepared to spend a small fortune on AAA's. The housing to the flashlight is visually appealing, but i'm not sure how it would do against some abuse. The "dim" level is useless, the light only dims slightly. However, considering (at the time of the review) the price of 29.99, it's not a bad light, but you get what you pay for. If you want a quality flashlight in a similar size, my advice would be to get a Surefire or Inova flashlight that can take a beating and really give a good flood and/or spot light. There are Fenix brand flashlights that are less than half this size and give out 200+ lumens (fenix p3d Q5 cree comes to mind). True - it is double the price, but well worth it. And if you don't want to deal with odd battery sizes (cr123a's or 18650's), then get a flashlight that runs on AA's (terralux makes a good 200-220 lumen light that runs on two AA's for around $50 [TLF-3C2AAEX LightStar220]) and then buy some quality rechargeable eneloop batteries to power it. AAA's are easy to find, but a poor power source for a flashlight. In addition, using alkaline batteries will eventually yield a bad batch that with leak all over the inside of your light, rendering it useless. So rechargeable batteries are the way to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars No longer the best I own, July 8, 2009
I am a flash light nut. REALLY. LED / Non-LED if it lights up the night I buy it. I own a $180 Surefire (WAY TOO much for the money and HEAT it creates) I own Inova lights, I own Gerber, I own Eternal from Technology Associates; and, of course, Mag Lights. Technology Associates has a cool programmable light that is great.

NOW for the low down. This Dorcy 2009 gives off the brightest light I have seen in ALL of the lights I own. I was using the Surefire at a real house fire to help illuminate the scene at 2AM. The police officer standing next to me was astounded at the ability of the Surefire to light up the second floor. (The firefighters actually needed my light as the fire was not in an area where they could get their portable lights.)

This Dorcy for 1/4 of the price of the Surefire is BRIGHTER and runs cooler. What most folks never seem to mention is that these LED's through some heat. The warning label often tells you this after you have purchased the light. Surefire is classic for this. It really gets hot to the touch. Gerber's LED does NOT get hot to the touch (I have reviewed this feature earlier).

The Dorcy is cool to the touch and, as I said brighter than the others I own. Also it takes REGULARLY AVAILABLE easy-to-find AAA batteries.

The ONLY thing that is not perfect is that the light is slightly larger and heavier than the other lights mentioned. I do NOT see this as a problem as its price and quality of light absolutely offset this drawback.

Buy THIS light ... you will not be sorry

****************UPDATE DEC 2009 *************************

Commenting on my post...

Well okay still a great light but as of Dec 2009 I have had one fail. The light in question was exposed to water. I did place it in a bag of rice to dry it out. Cleaned off and changed the batteries but, alas, no light.

NOT that the manufacturer says it is waterproof but just in case you did not know..

THIS LIGHT IS NOT WATERPROOF OR EVEN WATER RESISTANT.

[...].

****************UPDATE JUN 2012 *************************

Better lights out there. See Fenix lights better CREE LED's better lumens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent flashlight, January 13, 2009
I just got my flashlight, and I must say I find it to be an excellent product. Excellent light output, rugged, solid, and nicely finished construction; good workmanship. I have a question, though. The Dorcy webpage shows it as being a 160 lumens flashlight, the package I got states 120 only. I wonder what the reason for this is. After doing some browsing, I find this same difference between the many places the flashlight is offered. Maybe they changed their light output rating in some way. Everything else in the specs shown in the various sites stating either 160 or 120 is the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend the money!, May 28, 2010
I bought a four D-cell Mag Lite. I bought a 2 AA-cell Mag Lite. This Dorcy flashlight is so bright, that the light shining back at you from whatever you shine it at is almost TOO BRIGHT. The others on here can say what they will, but I'm sold! Bye bye, Mag Lite! I'm amazed at this thing! The light is not deep blue, but it has a blue tint. I REALLY like this light! I, and others I have showed it to are amazed. Even in a sun-lit room, this thing is bright!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality. Fairly bright., February 6, 2014
I have subsequently bought flashlights that are smaller and brighter and less expensive. At the time this was the best I could find at a reasonable price. The quality is good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought 2 - both stopped working after 2 years., December 26, 2013
Within days of each other they stopped working. On one I dropped it and it no longer worked. The other I took the battery holder out to replace the batteries and the holder fell apart in my hands. Apparently Dorcy knows about it because they sell replacement battery holders as mentioned in heir F.A.Q.. Cheap stuff from Hong Kong, proudly packaged in Columbus Ohio. PUH-LEAZE.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you can avoid dropping it., March 16, 2013
It worked great until I lent it to a co-worker. He dropped about 2 feet and it stopped working.

If dropping the flashlight can be avoided then I would recommend it..

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective by design., February 10, 2011
bcsizemo (Winston-Salem, NC) - See all my reviews
I've had the light for about 6 months or so and it was worked great up until now. It might not be the brightest kid on the block, but I'm not spending $100+ on it either... It takes AAA, so what? Buy some eneloops and be done with it. Then why only 2 stars if it works great and doesn't break the bank to run? Simple, it's dead.

Now the back story. I dropped it. Now, now, fine I did drop it, but it's an led flashlight and it should be able to with stand a drop from a couple of feet. It's not like I dropped it off a house or something. Well the mystery comes in the design. It's fairly straight forward to get apart, and when you do you'll find the circuit board mounted behind the push button. But the real problem is the connection between the circuit board and the actual led. The led housing has a large spring and a metal contact that sits inside the spring. The circuit board has a small spring surrounded by a contact strip. (Basically the small spring sits inside of the large spring when assembled.) Well when I dropped it the small spring slid over to the side, shorting the circuit board and killing the light. (This was evident by the fact the spring was still bent when I disassembled the light a couple of weeks later.)

I'm fairly good with a soldering station, but I can't find the ic parts or anything else out about this thing. I liked the light a lot, but if it's going to break from a simple 3 foot drop that's not acceptable. I don't expect it to survive everything, but that's something that can happen in just about anybody's everyday use.

(If you have one and are reading this, it's not really a hard fix to keep this from happening to your light, or at least lessen the odds of it killing your light. If you remove the head or lens cap and the battery compartment you'll have just the led light and switch assembly. Remove the rubber switch by prying it out, it just rests on the button and is physically attached. The circuit board piece should then slide out of the bottom. If you placed something like shrink wrap tubing or some other semi soft non conductive tube around the inner spring it should keep it from shorting if something like this happened. Just remember to cut it the right length so the spring can compress, but not so short as the spring is exposed....)