5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Book for Middle Grade Girls!
I can't believe how much I enjoyed the new middle grade book DORK DIARIES: TALES FROM A NOT-SO-FABULOUS LIFE by Rachel Renee Russell. I guess you could say I was pleasantly surprised by my reaction to this book -- basically, I didn't want to put it down. It was just so much fun to read, and I absolutely couldn't wait to hear what my nine year old daughter thought...
Published on June 9, 2009 by Julie Peterson

3.0 out of 5 stars mature topics
This is a fun spin off of Diary of a Wimpy Kid but watch out. There are mature topics in this book and if your child is a firm believer there may be surprises in this book. I found it too mature for my third grader and some of the vocab. was higher level. She loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.
Published on September 19, 2010 by Elizabeth Tormay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 449 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Inappropriate!!, February 9, 2011
This is NOT an appropriate book for 9-12 year old girls; I would be very wary of this book. You can literally flip through page after page of negative vocabulary words, rap music expressions that are infiltrating the common vernacular, and even an extended section (with illustrations) devoted to tattoos. This book is representative of what is being done to our young people in this country by popular culture and unaware or unwitting parents. This book models and glorifies exactly how we don't want our young people to speak or act. It's shocking what authors will do to make money nowadays, marketing this to children. In fact, Ms. Russell, what were you thinking? Parents, be parents, not friends in your relationship with your children. I challenge you; read the book yourself before you just blindly give it to your child. The irony is that the things in the book that make the book attractive to young girls could have been accomplished without all the negative vocabulary and inappropriate references to older teen behavior.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will crack you up!, February 12, 2013
Have you read any books from the Dork Diaries series? If you haven't, I'm sorry for you. My favorite book in the series is called Dork Diaries Tales of a not so Fabulous Life by Rachel Renee Russell. This book is about a girl named Nikki and she moved so she had to transfer schools but her new life is not working out for her that well. Dork Diaries Tales of a not so Fabulous Life is a great book to read. You will love this book because it's funny and Nikki always gets into trouble.

One reason this is a great book is because Nikki is a great main character. Nikki doesn't pay attention that much so she's always getting into trouble. Like one time Nikki, instead of putting the library books on the shelves, she spent almost half her time reading the books from the library. When I read that, I told my mom and that cracked her up!

Another reason Dork Diaries is so great is because it's so funny, like one time Nikki spray painted a hearing aid to make it look like the phone that clips on to your ear but when she took it off her ear her ear was very swollen, and it was quite funny! When I read the hearing aid part I said UH-OH out loud!

I recommend this book to girls in 3rd to 5th grade. So if you're looking for an awesome book to read you should try Dork Diaries Tales of a not so Fabulous Life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dork Diaries, September 3, 2011
Gift for grandchild. She struggles with reading but we found this book she seemed to like it. The book kept her attention. Excellent condition and fast shipping from seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but not like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Dork Diaries 1: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book thinking that it would be like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I was nothing like Diary of a Wimpy Kid but I very much enjoyed it. I thoght it was very funny at some points and very relatable. Those are the kinds of books I like. I can relate to it very much because me, as a pre teen goes through the same things such as jeolosy, cell phones, and most the popular croud or as they call it in the book CCP. I would highly reccomend this book to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious! A keeper!, August 5, 2010
I first saw this book at Stop & Shop when the second one came out. However, I didn't know it was a second book until I checked out the writer's website & saw that there was this book. And boy is it hilarious. This book is totally meant for tweens everywhere who are going through middle school & heading into highschool. I loved it so much, that I'm hoping the writer comes out with book number 3, 4, & 5. I'd definately recommend this to tween girls all over. #1 book on the market for them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read in ONE day!, June 19, 2010
My daughter loved this book! She couldn't stop reading and read the entire thing in one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, June 7, 2010
thats the only word that can describe it and this is coming from an 11 year old so adults that hate it BACK OFF!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Million Reasons Why You Should Buy This Book, May 12, 2010
A Kid's Review
I love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books by Jeff Kinney, and the Amelia's Notebooks series by Marissa Moss, so I'm really interested in books designed to look like kids' journals. So if you have seen some of the books on my bookshelf, you'd understand why a person like me would want to pick up this book and start reading it after purchasing it. It's about a fourteen-year-old girl named Nikki Maxwell who has to change schools and starts attending a prep school called Westchester Country Day, which she later learns is infested with snobs, especially a spoiled rich girl named MacKenzie Hollister, who has managed to earn herself the title of the most popular girl in school. The story tells of Nikki's home life as well; dealing with a pesky little sister named Brianna and her disturbing singing hand-puppet, Miss Penelope. This book's filled of anime drawings made to look like the fictious Nikki herself drew them, as well as adorable stylized stick figures. So this book is absolutely perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome!!, April 16, 2010
This book is about a girl Niki J,Maxwell .Niki's dad got a job at a middle school. Niki also wants to fit in with the kids that are popular. Niki is nervous that people will not like her. Niki wants everything that the cool girls have. Niki also have issues with a girl name Mackenzie. Mackenzie makes fun of her cause Niki's father is the school junior. At school Niki has hard times at her new school. Well Niki likes this boy name Brandon. Brandon always make Niki happy. Even though he doesn't talk to her. So I though this book was stunning. I enjoyed this book alot because the way Niki feels like shes left out. Beside she gots better friends then Mackenzie. This is why I enjoyed this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great New Series for Young Girls!, February 26, 2010
Dork Diaries is one of the cutest and most hilarious middle grade novels I have read in a while.

Nikki Maxwell was an extremely funny protagonist. Her takes on life always provided for laugh or two. Plus, Dork Diaries is told completely in diary entries and sketch drawings making me think that she could be the next Princess Mia, well with out being a princess. The other characters were nice additions, also. Though, they seemed a bit like cookie cuter cutouts because there was the typical mean girl, the two dweeby best friends, and the cool but nerdy guy that Nikki wanted to be with.

The plot was basic and a bit predictable, but with Nikki's humor it quickly became a fast read that I adored. I truly hope there is going to be a second book because it was sad to let Nikki and her posse go at the end.

Overall, Dork Diaries is the perfect read any girl looking for Meg Cabot like writer and a new series to become addicted to. I look forward to reading more by Rachel.

Grade: B+