4.0 out of 5 stars Great perspective.
I'd recommend that everyone who owns a screened device read this. Randi's perspective is appreciated and helpful to maintain our own perspective.
Published 6 months ago by Marie E Flaherty

2.0 out of 5 stars A superficial book about a non-issue
Published 5 months ago by Robert Duke

2.0 out of 5 stars A superficial book about a non-issue, January 28, 2014
I think this book got published because of the Zuckerberg connection. I would have been interested in the author's perspective if she had something serious to say, but it came across to this reader as me, me, me. There was a failed attempt to wrap "all about me" in a respectable and socially useful guise of advice about living in the dot com world. It fell flat with me even though I persisted too long in trying to find something redemptive about the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, Relevant, but Somehow Kind of Self-Centered..., January 18, 2014
N. Quinby (Greeley, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dot Complicated: Untangling Our Wired Lives (Hardcover)
If I could give 3 1/2 stars, that'd be a more accurate rating!

Mark Zuckerberg's sister is an author and media mogul in her own right. This is her first adult book (she's also published a children's book called Dot). The introductory (and mostly autobiographical) part of Dot Complicated was a little bland (and sometimes melodramatic), but as Zuckerberg moves onto Internet etiquette and commentary on our digital age, the book picks up speed. It's easy to read and relevant to us all. Despite the fact that Zuckerberg repeats over and over again that this book is for US, it seems a little self-centered at times.

Zuckerberg's goal to help people utilize and take advantage of our new technologies is a noble one, but I feel like it's a little overblown: "When explained properly, in a relatable, approachable way, it [tech] can be amazing and life changing." It's almost as if 'tech' is a new religion, promising a new world of redemption and self-control. I don't believe teaching people about what NOT to post on Facebook is a major philanthropic effort. Nevertheless, the book is full of insightful anecdotes and lessons: "I reached a point when rather than owning a computer, a phone, and a tablet, those devices were owning me...I had forgotten how to just unplug and enjoy the company of those around me. I had forgotten how to be present in the moment."

Honestly, I haven't thought too much about online etiquette, whether I should be posting what I'm posting, or how what I post affects others. Perhaps I should.

Some quotes that stuck out to me:

"A world where every object is a screen means a world of endless access to information, but it also means a world where we risk jeopardizing our relationships with loved ones if we don't look up from that screen from time to time."

"...FOMO, which stands for 'fear of missing out.' FOMO refers to the feelings of jealousy and inadequacy experienced upon seeing the impossibly awesome lives of your friends."

"Technology has completely changed all aspects of dating and romantic relationships. Countless apps and websites help people find potential mates to consider. Texting, video chatting, and social networks have created a whole new set of rules for initial courting and the early stages of relationships."

"Giving everyone a megaphone tends to create a society that favors the loud and self-absorbed. Just because a lot of people are talking all at once doesn't mean anything valuable is being said."

I received this book from a Good Reads giveaway.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great reading for millennials, February 12, 2014
I couldn't get all the way through this book. First of all, the first 30% of the book was all…. me me me!!! Brag, brag brag…… (typical millennial) And not interesting AT ALL. It only made me feel shitty like Facebook does. Wow, wish I'd been lucky enough to win the gene lottery and luck into a bunch of great jobs… Only people in their twenties think they are that interesting. Reference in point: A book on manners by Barbara Walters in the 60's: How to talk to anyone….. Same arrogant 20 something ignorance.

The realizations she had: that she should unplug and not make stupid comments on social media. These are obvious conclusions anyone over 30 would understand. And the whole thing about remembering the old days when people had to talk to each other??? Only for someone born after 1980. I found very little profound wisdom in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great perspective., January 5, 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time., April 26, 2014
P. Nguyen (Greenwood Village, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dot Complicated: Untangling Our Wired Lives (Hardcover)
This fell WAY short of my expectations. The book was slow and tedious for a good part with name dropping and a level of detail that served no purpose but to make her sound important (and push her liberal agenda). Don't bother.

1.0 out of 5 stars All about you!, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Dot Complicated: Untangling Our Wired Lives (Hardcover)
From an educational standpoint regarding the use of "social media," the author offers common sense statements as to how to use each type media. I would think most people have enough common sense as to how they should abide. What I feel what is wrong with the social media is, often times their misleading statements to their "customers" state one thing, and when the customers buys into it (meaning clicking on a vague label,) it's brings them to something different that what they expected.

From my 30-years of computer application design of which I'm registered as a "Certified Computer Professional," many application today are poorly designed, which causes this expert as well as all the average laymen, much confusion as to what each of the application's functions are to accomplish. Facebook is one such application that started small and took off and now is constantly being changed ongoing (because they have an unexpected tiger by the tail.) What was true last year, is not the same today.

Personally I don't have time to parallel with their changes. I use many different applications and don't have the time to devote to Facebook. Technically, Facebook has rinky-dinky clicking methods as to how accomplish their functions. They, as well as other applications too, use gimmick terms as if we users should know exactly what they mean. Fine and dandy! Then they should include a "Terminology" portal for users to click on that describes what: time-line, poke, comments, etc, means. We should not have to guess what each term means.

In conclusion, as I read Dot Complicated, its more about Randi Zuckerman, who ends her book thanking virtually everyone in the world for her being. Is that not, "all about me?" Leonard Rattini, CCP

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening , rejuvenating and entertaining, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Dot Complicated: Untangling Our Wired Lives (Hardcover)
If you are ancient like me this book will rejuvenate you ! It takes you back stage of 20th century drama . Makes us understand our children and grandchildren . Gives us a peak into their future

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 14, 2014
It speaks to universal audiences as well as giving you an inside view of Facebook and their ascent into the full range of multimedia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for the Holidays! Must Buy!, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Dot Complicated: Untangling Our Wired Lives (Hardcover)
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book when I ordered it. I had read a few articles that Randi had written for her newsletter "Dot Complicated" that I loved, so I figured that this book would be very much in line with the newsletter's theme tech in our lives as women and parenting & tech. For some reason I also thought it would be more of an autobiography of her time pre-Facebook, Facebook tenure and then post-Facebook/starting Zuckerberg Media. Yes, there are elements of all of these topics in the book but the book is so much more. As a woman, wife and parent, I found Dot Complicated to be a very fast, easy, conversational and thought provoking book that made me look at social media in a new light. I seriously felt like I was grabbing a cup of coffee with Randi Zuckerberg and we got into a deep discussion about tech and social media in our lives. It has started many conversations in our family about how we view tech in our everyday lives and the way and time we spend with it. I have since purchased a dozen of these books to give as gifts over the holidays. It is a must read book for anyone in this digital age. LOVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Dot Complicated: Untangling Our Wired Lives (Hardcover)
she is a doll, very progressive read

Dot Complicated: Untangling Our Wired Lives
Dot Complicated: Untangling Our Wired Lives by Randi Zuckerberg (Hardcover - November 5, 2013)
$27.99 $19.66