4.0 out of 5 stars "Had I truly lost my edge?"
Published on October 22, 2011 by E. Bukowsky

3.0 out of 5 stars Dull Dexter
With the exception of "Dexter in the Dark", I've been at least entertained by all of the Dexter books. While this one I enjoyed overall, it is slow and uneventful, and falls short in a number of ways.

Published on November 11, 2011 by makeham98

3.0 out of 5 stars Dull Dexter, November 11, 2011
makeham98 (East of San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)

Is author Lindsay so bored in his own life that he has written a book that gives us a Dexter annoyed by the mundane parts of family life? Is he trying to justify copying the direction of the tv series and get rid of Rita? She has no redeeming qualities at all in this story.

The background of the antagonist is contradictory, with identity issues that an angry ex would have revealed long ago, as well as his former employer. Made no sense.

And less plausible is the ending, where Dexter takes a highly visible action at a tourist site yet no one - no one - used a camera to take his photo. And like a bad slasher film, the ultimate end to the antagonist is hammered into your head about 10 pages before it happens. You just read the obvious "clue" and wait for it to happen.

The always ominous presence of Brian is a welcome difference from the tv series, but wasted here.

Again, weak Dexter is better than no Dexter. This was weak.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Had I truly lost my edge?", October 22, 2011
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
For quite some time, first-person narrator Dexter Morgan has been juggling multiple roles: husband and father of two stepchildren and a beautiful baby girl, Lily Anne; blood spatter expert for the Miami-Dade Police Department; and ruthless vigilante who stalks individuals whom he is convinced need killing. He slices and dices his victims and keeps a slide with a drop of their blood as a souvenir. Dexter has executed over fifty people to date without being caught. Whatever could go wrong?

As it turns out, quite a few things can and do go wrong. One, someone spots Dexter doing his dastardly deed to a suspected pedophile. Two, Rita, Dexter's wife, has been acting strangely of late; she's drinking far too much wine and appears more agitated than usual. Worst of all, from Dexter's viewpoint, is that Rita has stopped serving him delicious home-cooked dinners! Chauvinist Dexter is willing to change a diaper, but he is not big on meal preparation. While Dexter spends hours surreptitiously looking for the witness who is now threatening to destroy him, Rita is becoming ever more jumpy; Dexter fears that his career, marriage, and freedom may be in danger.

In "Double Dexter," by Jeff Lindsay, the usually unflappable Dexter is showing signs of strain. Just when he needs to "stay icy calm and in complete control," he is beginning to fall apart. In the past, he was a consummate actor who could fake being human without much effort; now, he is distracted, irritable, and anxious. Making matters worse, "a maniac with a sledgehammer" has been battering cops to a pulp. Dex's sister, the foul-mouthed and aggressive Sergeant Deborah Morgan, demands that her brother use his forensic wizardry and amateur profiling skills to help her nab the perpetrator.

Lindsay again combines his unique and grotesque blend of satirical humor, puns, gore, and mayhem in "Double Dexter." Although Dexter insists that he has no feelings, when he holds his baby girl, he is filled with affection; when he sees the bodies of cops who had been savagely assaulted, he is repelled; and he is genuinely fearful that someone will expose his "hobby" and blow his cover. It seems that in spite of his protestations, Dexter does have emotions, and maybe even a bit of a conscience, although he would never acknowledge it. The plot is a bit of a mishmash involving an assortment of domestic and work-related crises, an attempt to frame our hero, and Dexter's inevitable showdown with his adversary. However, the real enjoyment lies in seeing the world through Dexter's twisted perspective. We wonder how much longer he will be able to balance his career, family life, and the occasional act of carnage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Double the Dexter, Double the fun in Lindsays new thriller!, October 18, 2011
B-Goody (Ann Arbor ,MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
This Dexter saga/case is much more 'Delicious' than his last. Jeff Lindsay has brought more character to Dexter by giving us an idea of his family life; Rita's craziness, dealing with Astor and her braces and of course their new member, Lily Anne(in the Showtime series it's Harrison). As well as emotion and feelings? The rest of the cast is great with Vince at his best as well as his brother Brian who I'm starting to like. Of course there's a case, but I don't want to give it away. Reading this I swear I had Michael C Hall's killer dialogue in my head and Lindsay has reached the top of his skills giving us his best Dex book yet. Well thought out with a story that will keep you turning the pages. Don't pass this up, even if you disliked the last few or thought that they were a bit lackluster. It's so worth it. And oh yeah, Cyborg Doake's!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dismayed by Debilitated Dexter, December 3, 2011
Paul Reis (Bismarck, North Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
I just finished this novel a few hours ago and was eager to read some reviews on here to get other people's takes on it.

***SOME SPOILERS BELOW***

What to say, what to say... I enjoyed this book, as I have every installment Lindsay's put out in this original series. I've read all but "Dexter in the Dark" and that is next up on my list, and I will faithfully continue to check out all other future publications but it's difficult for anyone to not notice and point out the flaws in works they're fans of and well-acquainted with, right?

Some definite Pro's of this book in my view is that it felt tighter and more focused than its predecessor, "Dexter Is Delicious." I actually enjoyed that one a great deal, but its central villainy and Big Bad(s) were certainly over the top, and "Double Dexter" righted that for me. Also, the Witness angle was something Lindsay hadn't yet explored and so that made the reading endeavor fresh in & of itself right out of the gate. The continued inclusion of Brian was also a big plus. And although these are relatively minor bonuses, there seemed to be less redundant ruminating on that 'ole brutal Miami traffic this time around (THANK GOODNESS!) and also less whining about Deborah's "blistering arm punches," namely because there were simply fewer of them but every time our protagonist starts crying about those in this series I can't help but think, 'Good grief, toughen up already man!' :)

All that said, it was a bit frustrating...maddeningly so at times...to see the trend continue in this novel of Dexter being outsmarted at nearly every turn; by a complete "amateur" no less, according to his own words. Although it's been a few years since I read the first two novels in this series, I remember Mr. Morgan back then being an icily logical, competent, and most importantly highly intelligent dude who never met an adversary he couldn't one-up. There is hardly a trace of that Dexter left in Lindsay's current incarnation, and though it is likely due to the character's becoming more "human" and domesticated, I have trouble understanding why the author would want to so drastically diminish the very characteristics that helped set his protagonist apart from the rest of the pack in the first place, drawing in so many new readers in the process! I just wish Dexter could've caught SOME sort of break here, even one! When he commissioned someone close to him to take care of his Ever-Closer Walking Problem towards the end, I was rooting more than anything for that to actually happen, decreased suspense be damned. If handled right that development still could have had a satisfying payoff. What we got instead strained believability maybe a little too much.

I guess overall it just seems wrong somehow that such a once-compelling figure should be turned into a (mostly) bumbling, mistake-prone fool- so fundamentally contrary to where he began. I still rate it 3 stars because it is after all, like all of them, an entertaining read! It is. Lindsay is a talented writer and the humor he injects into Dexter's thought process here (though admittedly there is less than in prior installments) had me laughing out loud a handful of times, which helped keep the pages turning. Even so, here's hoping for a few character reboots next time around.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, November 3, 2011
K. Naul (Collinsville, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
I refuse to believe that Jeff Lindsay wrote this book, because it is nothing like the other ones. When I say this I mean, the others were so good, and this one is so bad. Dexter is a bumbling idiot in this book, Rita is a bumbling drunk, the kids shouldn't have even been in the story if all they were going to do is play video games. I was so excited to read this, and so very disappointed when I actually did. Come on Jeff, bring Dexter back!

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Dexter Deliver or Disappoint?, June 3, 2012
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
Does the latest Dexter book Deliver or Disappoint? Does our Dastardly Dark Delinquent Delight or Drop the ball?

Dexter Morgan, serial killer with a code, is going about his pleasant business of slicing up a murderer who has escaped the law, combining his natural impulses with his late stepfather's code of who is an acceptable target (this time, a murderous pedophile), when someone walks in on his party. The witness escapes and Dexter is sure he's headed for the electric chair.

Oddly, nothing happens - he isn't denounced to the police, no SWAT team arrives at his door. Soon, he starts to get emails from the witness. Meanwhile, the Miami police have another problem, a murderer who's attacking policemen, smashing every bone in their bodies. The police are getting paranoid.

Dexter searches for the witness, planning to put an end to his threat. The witness, however, is always one step ahead and our hero finds himself the stalkee instead of the stalker. And his new follower decides to emulate Dexter's brand of justice, becoming a second Dexter, with Dexter himself the target. The book culminates in a showdown on a boat off of Key West with more than Dexter's life and freedom at risk.

Woven around this are the mundane activities and problems of Dexter's life: his wife, Rita, is acting weird and drinking, he gets a cold, he has to go on a field trip with his stepson Cody's Cub Scout troop, his stepdaughter hates her new braces, his death-defying commute to and from the office. His sister Deborah and Vince Masuoka put in all-too-brief appearances, with Sergeant Doakes and his brother Brian playing more significant roles.

Any series book has to be a combination of the familiar and the new and there's no hard and fast rule about how to maintain the balance and different successful authors have handled it in different ways. To me, among the best are John Sanford's "Prey" series, Sherlock Holmes, and Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books. Less successful are the Janet Evanovich stories. After reading four of the six Dexter books, they're starting to look more like Evanovich than Sanford.

I love the concept of Dexter, the serial killer next door, with his combination of murders and daily life. This time, I found I was tapping my foot through the mundane stuff. Yes, it's supposed to be humorous and instead it's getting old. His wife Rita's schtick of starting three sentences without finishing one is getting old and irritating.

On to specifics; WARNING - SPOILERS AHEAD.

I was interested in the cop killer setup, someone with a grudge against the police and a flamboyant murder style. Then, POOF, it was over by a third of the way through, without an explanation of the killer's motivation, with Dexter completely uninvolved. WTF? I wanted more.

I wasn't impressed with the main villain, the witness. I thought he was bland and not very menacing.

Dexterland has two major landmarks that set it apart, Harry's Code, the set of rules that Dexter uses to not get caught and to select his victims only from the truly bad, and his Dark Passenger, his supernatural internal beast, that drives Dexter and protects him by identifying others of his sort.

Apparently Harry's Code has a Large, Leaky Loophole that allows Dexter to slice and dice a complete innocent if they catch him in the act. Lindsay skates over this little discrepancy without comment.

The Dark Passenger warns Dexter when he's attracted the attention of another predator who is watching him. His stepchildren have the same warning system. It's quite sensitive - except when the predator is standing right in front of them. Again, Lindsay lets this pass without comment.

It's fun when an author sets out restrictions for his characters, for example Nero Wolfe never leaving his house on business or Asimov's Three Rules of Robotics, then finding ways around them. A good writer finds plausible explanations for the exceptions. Lindsay seems to be following his own rules when they suit him and ignoring them when they don't.

Dexter has been set up as an uber-predator, hunting only other serial killers, a lone wolf. In each of the last three books, either another person or some deus ex machina has played a major role in Dexter's victory. I don't mind that Felix Leiter holds James Bond's coat while he takes on the villain, I like it less when the protagonist can't get the job done by himself. Dexter is starting to seem less like a lone wolf than a lone cocker spaniel.

I plan to read the second and third Dexters and to try the next one, but if Lindsay doesn't pick up his game, I may move on.

Three and a half stars, rounded down to three.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, really bad., May 3, 2012
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
I'm not the biggest fan of the author, but I am a fan of the show. That being said, I did read through all of the Dexter novels, ending in this most recent one, Double Dexter. It was terrible. Absolutely terrible. Dexter boasts of himself as being smooth, sly, quick-witted, but in every single book he gets more and more idiotic, making huge, glaring, obvious mistakes and eventually becomes unenjoyable to read. I started wondering why he was still alive, he's such a bumbling fool. Not at all the cold, calculated killer that the author has been trying so very, very hard to paint a picture of (and failing). I found myself skimming through many pages of drivel just to get back to the real story. Only a quarter of this book is actual story progression, the rest is Dexter fretting, bumbling and being an idiot.

And another thing.

PLEASE stop re-explaining every single detail of every character. YES. We get it. Doakes got his hands chopped off because of a crazy doctor guy. YES, we get it. Cody and Astor are monsters because their father beat them. YES, we get it. Deborah knows Dexter's secret. You don't have to explain this over and over again in every book! I know you're trying to make them a stand-alone but don't. It's not your problem if someone doesn't read the other books and misses one little detail that really doesn't even matter for the book you're writing.

I will say this. This is the first book where Deborah was not written in an insufferable way. I can barely stand it the way she bosses Dexter around, and he just takes it up the arse. She cooled her heels in this book, fortunately.

The author does not allow Dexter to shine in any book he writes. If all we see is Dexter acting like a fool, how are we supposed to compare that to how he 'really' is? Let Dexter be witty, quick and smooth for once. I would enjoy reading that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really not his best work - this one should be called double bumbling Dexter, November 19, 2011
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
I am a bit surprised that another reviewer states this book had him/her at the edge of their seat. Mr. Lindsay got lazy and sloppy with this book and should have called it Double Bumbling Dexter. The entire book had me wondering why Dexter hadn't figured it out when I did. I have enjoyed the other Dexter books in the past. Unfortunately this one leaves one wondering if this Mr. Lindsay wrote this one as a murder mystery for 10 year olds.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed Dexter, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
The latest installment by Jeff Lindsay is certainly disappointing. In his previous novels Dexter is clever, funny and dangerous. He lacks all three in Double Dexter. The other characters are either nonexistent or so annoying that you'll wish they were (Rita). She is either unable to finish a sentence or she stumbles drunkenly to complete a thought. It gets to the point where you're better off skipping any paragraphs where she has dialogue. Other characters that are a large part of the Dexter novels either are missing or make fleeting appearances.
Double Dexter starts off promising but quickly falls off into a boring mess. Nothing happens for the majority of the book. Just pointless inner dialogue. Even Astor and Cody seem bored with the story and would rather spend their time playing Wii.
Jeff Lindsay really missed with Double Dexter. He had a promising storyline but failed miserably. I found myself skimming through many pages just to get it over with. Overall just extremely boring and not very good. If you're a fan of the Dexter series the only reason to read it is to say that you did. Don't expect too much from it.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book should be called Dexter is a Dolt, January 22, 2012
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
Thus far this book has been boring and predictable ~ almost a rip off the Ice Truck killings in a previous book. Dexter gets fooled time and time again; Rita drinks; Astor whines so much I am half-wanting to see her on Dexter's slab. Even Deb who we can usually count on for sharp edges is dull and boring. I am so glad I borrowed this book from the library instead of buying it.

Double Dexter: A Novel
Double Dexter: A Novel by Jeff Lindsay (Hardcover - October 18, 2011)
$25.95 $18.96