5.0 out of 5 stars terrific debut novel
I fell in love with Owen King's writing while reading the stories in his wonderful collection, We're All in This Together. What I loved most about those stories was how they were at once these intimate portraits of flawed, fascinating, endearing characters, and, simultaneously, these wildly imaginative narratives that could lead anywhere.

For me, this book...
Published 16 months ago by scott snyder

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably just over my head
Published 16 months ago by Jennifer Hohne

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific debut novel, March 19, 2013
This review is from: Double Feature: A Novel (Hardcover)

For me, this book works the same magic, but on this huge scale. Sam Dolan's story is, on the one hand, completely intimate in how it's presented. King has created this terrifically rich, engaging, relateable, wonderfully frustrating, and ultimately inspiring character in Sam. His hang-ups, his longings, his struggles with his father's long shadow... all of this is masterfully, intricately depicted. On the other hand, the scope of the book - it's incredibly colorful cast, the layers of plot, the hilarious detours and fascinating informative bits, about everything from film history to baseball to crime show re-enactments... It's a book that's inspiring in both its expansiveness, and its deeply compassionate and brilliant character work.

Hilarious, searingly smart, with huge heart, DOUBLE FEATURE is easily one my favorite books in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, April 11, 2013
This review is from: Double Feature: A Novel (Hardcover)
I absolutely loved this book. It was well written, thoughtful, and funny. From the start I found the characters interesting. There is someone for everyone to identify with. When reading, I found myself chuckling and nodding my head often. I read the book straight through in 2 days. It was so good I simply could not put it down. I loved the way the book flowed. It seemed to undulate from past to present and back again. I am sure this was no easy task, but Owen seemed to do it effortlessly. I have tremendous respect for his talent and the way his literary voice shines through in this work. I have already recommended this book to many of my friends and family. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for such a clever and inviting writer! Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self Help for the Down and Out, August 9, 2013
This review is from: Double Feature: A Novel (Hardcover)
I am not really surprised that this is a great read, full of characters you wouldn't actually mind knowing, terrific hooks in almost every scene, rolling along to a satisfying conclusion. What I didn't expect was how laugh out loud FUNNY it was. Both a coming of age story and a manual for fighting depression, this was one of my most satisfying reads of the year. I can't wait for the follow-up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably just over my head, April 1, 2013
I liked the story I guess. Enough to finish the book anyway. It just didn't seem to go anywhere. The relationships were entertaining but describing them felt superfluous somehow. There were details that didn't add anything to the story line and were confusing and just amounted to more words on paper. I suspect that there was some deeper meaning to all of it but since I read for fun, I don't want to spend time trying to figure out what the meaning might be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Kind of Novel, February 22, 2014
I bought the book because I wanted to know what Owen King writes, not his father. Perhaps I went into it thinking it could be related to horror, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was more of today's generation related subject matter. There were lots of times I found myself laughing out loud. I listened to the audio editon. The narrator, Holter Graham, did an excellent job of keeping it interesting(I loved Booth's voice!) My summary is it's about a young man trying to come to grips with his feelings about life, love, his family and his past, all while trying to make some kind of career for himself. It was very thought provoking, wondering if the main character(Sam Dolan) will decide to forgive, to love and let himself be loved. I loved Booth Dolan's character. He was so crazy! I loved the way he talked, although I hated how he treated his family. He's one of those characters that I hate to love. And also Allie, she was so beautiful, and had a great personality. I had to finish it because I had to know what was going to happen with the whole mess, because that's what Sam Dolan's life was-a mess. The ending was emotional, very uplifting. This is a fabulous story I've been recommending to everyone. It's a quirky story that's off the usual beaten path. I loved it. Once you've read it, you'll never forget it...or have phone sex the same way again. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Sad, and Amazing, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Double Feature: A Novel (Hardcover)
In an era of writerly, on-page pyrotechnics, Owen King is that rare author who’s beholden only to his story. And what a story it is! He’ll make you laugh—harder than you’ve ever laughed before (you'll never see satyrs the same way)—and then, somehow, you’ll be choked up with tears and wondering how that happened. And it’s because his scenes aren’t set pieces and his characters aren’t placeholders. You root for them, or you loath them, but in the end you care about them. And it’s because they’re real, flesh-and-blood people with quirks and ambitions and anxieties and relationships. What happens to them has consequences. That’s a gift.

Stop reading the reviews. Get this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting and well worth your time, December 18, 2013
I am sure there are many ways to read this book, but basically it is just a great story! I will read it again (and again) to find more of the hidden goodies, but for now; Thanks for keeping me entertained, Owen!

5.0 out of 5 stars check it, August 22, 2013
Reads like Mysteries of Pittsburgh or Wonderboys. A Michael Chabon for the Hudson Valley. Yeah, I think i'll take that.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my new favorite authors!, December 15, 2013
This book is extremely well written and keeps the reader so involved in the story that time flies by. I'm glad that I'm reading it on my Kindle because I have to double click on a word or two almost every other page - I love that! The story jumps around time periods a lot, but is not hard to follow at all. I've been an avid fan of Stephen King for my whole reading life and have recently discovered, and enjoyed, the writing of his other son Joe Hill, but in all honesty I think I like Owen King's writing the best of the three. His characters are very real as are the situations they find themselves in - no pickets fences and happily ever afters here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply satisfying, June 18, 2014
A trenchant, thoughtfully plotted novel about personal discovery and family reconciliation, set in a fascinatingly offbeat environment. Owen King demonstrates that he is probably the deep thinker of the King dynasty of writers.

Double Feature: A Novel
Double Feature: A Novel by Owen King (Hardcover - March 19, 2013)
$26.00 $18.94