Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Double Fudge
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 6, 2003
As a fourth grade teacher, I love reading the Fudge books to my students. They love hearing what Fudge is up to. My students were so excited when Double Fudge was published. I recommend this book to anyone who likes to laugh. Fudge is always funny. In the story, Fudge is five (almost six) and Peter is in 7th grade. As everyone knows Fudge has his own way of seeing things--Fudge has not changed. Fudge is obsessed with MONEY. He is always talking, singing, counting, or trying to acquire money. He even creates his own money "Fudge Bucks". The Hatchers go to Washington D.C. to show Fudge how real money is created. The family meets their long lost cousins. The cousins come home with the Hatchers. Poor Peter, now he has to deal with Fudge, the Natural Beauties, and the new Farley Drexel Hatcher. Another Fudge, OH, NO!
on September 9, 2005
YES! Fudge is back! I'm not ashamed to admit that I was as excited to learn of the latest installment now as I was at the age of 9, when "Superfudge" was published. :-) And I was not disappointed. Fudge is one of Judy Blume's most endearing characters, a five going on forty year old whose quirky approach to life always ends up causing problems for his older brother Peter. This time around, Fudge's new obsession with money leads to more embarrassing misadventures, and indirectly to an unwanted family reunion with distant relatives. A new twist here is the addition of a younger cousin to the usual cast of characters, a four year old who may just be Fudge's troublemaking match. It's interesting to watch Fudge beginning to experience the same kind of frustration that Peter suffered through in the first three books. We can only hope that he doesn't learn from it TOO quickly!

In response to the review complaining about the 21st century pop culture references that don't synch with the 70's feel of the earlier books, well, granted the first books are a bit dated upon re-reading 30 years later (when was the last time you saw an elevator man, for example), just as "Double Fudge" will seem dated 30 years from now. But, you can't predict what will or will not still be in style a couple decades from now, and the writing would have to be pretty bare bones if Blume had avoided any mention of things that are in vogue today. Besides which, I think I got my biggest laugh at Fudge's eccentric superstition about Harry Potter - "DON'T SAY HIS NAME OUT LOUD!" :-)

I'm thrilled to add more Fudge to my collection of beloved children's books, and can't wait to introduce him to my own "mini-me" in a few more years. Thank you, Judy Blume!
on August 13, 2011
I had read the first three books in the Fudge series (plus Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great) when I was between the ages of ten and eleven. After I finished Fudge-a-Mania, I was convinced that was it for the Fudge series, and so apparently did Judy Blume. I was pretty surprised when I was in my early twenties and discovered that Ms. Blume had gotten the inspiration for this book in 2002. Why I didn't read it or get it in audio form then, I don't know.

I finally got around to it seven years later in 2009. I ordered it from the public library, not knowing the happy mistake I'd made in ordering the audiobook. Then, I played it and was pleasantly surprised to hear Judy Blume reading the book herself. It didn't take me too long to listen to it, and I can remember feeling the main character's feelings of frustration from the beginning of the story to the end. It was, as Ms. Blume wrote near the end, "way too familiar."

Peter Hatcher's younger brother Farley Drexel, a k a "Fudge" becomes obsessed with getting money during the period just before the school year begins. He wants to buy New York City, before deciding on something "smaller" like Toys R Us. The boys' grandmother suggests a trip to Washington DC, to the Bureau of Printing and Engraving will set Fudge straight, but this plan backfires. In addition, it's in the bureau's gift shop where Peter's father Warren stumbles on his long-lost cousin Howie Hatcher from Honolulu, a man who persistently calls Warren "Tubby," his wife Eudora, their "perfect twin daughers" Flora and Fauna, plus their soon-to-be-four-year-old son, also named Farley Drexel whom Peter nicknames "Mini." This encounter is badly overwhelming for Peter, who is embarrassed by how stuck up and self absorbed they seem to be, but it's nothing compared with what he has to go through when the Honolulu Hatchers materialize in New York, and Peter has to contend with interacting with them for seven weeks.

This book was quite enjoyable from beginning to end. It was interesting to "witness," even as Fudge is living out his money obsession, his character and his little sister, Tootsie actually seems to be growing up a little. I was also impressed with how Ms. Blume successfully set this book in 2002 with amenities such as cell phones, online messaging, mp3 players and elevator surveillance which weren't in the earlier books. I can just imagine that most readers and listeners were glad to have this book.
on February 1, 2003
I'm 16 years old, but since I was such a big fan of Fudge, I just had to buy this book! Even though it's a children's book, it was really good and didn't fail to make me laugh out loud.
on November 19, 2013
I did not like Judy Blume's double fudge AT ALL! The only reason I picked up this LAME book was because I liked her book tales of the Forth Grade Nothing and thought that I might like this as well but boy I was wrong, by the time I got to chapter 3 I desisted that this FAIL of fiction was just skipping over peters life and yammering on and on about fudge's CRAZED obsession for Out of every thing STINKING money she picked money . I would NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AT ALL.
on December 30, 2014
My son had been reading this at school, and he came home one evening announcing that he needed to write a book report on it. He, of course, forgot to bring home the book, so this purchase was a necessity. I was glad to have the digital version available immediately. Reading through it with him, I found the book entertaining and well suited to a fourth-grade audience.
on November 14, 2002
A am a great fan of Judy Blume with her books being to the highest qualitly. As a fan of Peter and Fudge it was a great joy to read this book. A must have for any fan of this great series.
on June 3, 2013
Another classic tale by Ms. Blum. My 8 year old really loves to read her books. The stories keep her interested and turning the pages. While not overly difficult to read there are enough challenging words to keep her on her toes.
on March 2, 2005
This book is wonderful, and I highly recommend it and the whole Fudge series to kids ten and up. However, parents of younger children might want to read the last few pages before giving it to younger children to read. Suffice it to say that something my eight-year-old son believed would have been dispelled, had he read that far. The reading level of the book is not beyond that of many seven- and eight-year-olds, but (in my opinion) some of the content is.
on November 17, 2012
Although I didn't care for it as much as my son, this book had a simple storyline, and simple characters. My son doesn't like anything sad, and no one mean, and no drama, fighting etc. he just likes fun characters and story lines that he can relate too.