4.0 out of 5 stars Would be a good Made for TV or Cable Movie
Double Identity has some redeeming value if just for the scenes in and around Sofia, Bulgaria. A doctor who is with Doctors Beyond Borders (a take off of Doctors Without Borders) gets accidentally caught up in international intrigue dealing with an international smuggling ring.

What I like about the movie is you have no idea who is trying to save him. You get...
Published on June 15, 2010 by Joseph J. Slevin

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply Dreadful.
Think of this movie as 90 minutes of your life you'll never get back again. The whole movie is spun around a tale of mistaken identity. Val's character miraculously and seamlessly goes from being a family physician to a secret agent he has been mistaken for. Instantly Val knows how to disarm somebody with his bare hands, shoot a gun with perfect accuracy, and talk...
Published on March 6, 2010 by Joe B

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Double Identity", April 27, 2010
This review is from: Double Identity (DVD)
Was a little too deep in my opinion. Maybe I'm too old for this type of movie. The acting was good though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice suspense film with many twists, March 23, 2011
This review is from: Double Identity (DVD)
This 2010 film is an excellent suspense thriller, with many twists. Val Kilmer gets into trouble when in 1992 Bulgaria he allows a pretty woman to enter his car and avoid people who are trying to catch her. He drops her off where she wants to exit and continues to his destination, to help deliver a child. For Kilmer is a physician working with "Doctors without Borders." But since he was seen helping the woman, those who saw him think he is John Charter, who they expected would be coming to town. Hence the film's title: Kilmer is a physician and Charter; he has a double identity. He is arrested, but the doctors arrange for his release.

It appears that there are at least four conflicting groups involved in this crime caper, the unauthorized selling of diamonds, against the rules of the diamond cartel who want to restrain sales to keep diamond prices high. There are agents of the cartel, mob figures who want to sell the illegal diamonds, criminals who want to buy the diamonds, and other criminals who hear about the possible sale and want to steal the diamonds and the money. The police may also be involved, or at least some of them.

Kilmer knows nothing of this. He does not know who Charter is. He also has no idea what the girl is up to or which side she is on. As we watch the film, we are also left in the dark for a long time. We see that he and the girl become attracted to one another. We see how she tries to protect him. We watch double cross after double cross. We see Kilmer's friend murdered and the police searching for him as the suspected murderer. We watch many chases. We have no idea who John Charter is until near the end of the film. Thus the film is filled with action and suspense. Will Kilmer live to the end of the film? Will the girl survive? Will they get together? Who was in the right?

3.0 out of 5 stars Sleepwalking through life, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Double Identity (DVD)
This was not one of Val Kilmer's better characters. He seemed to just be following what someone else was doing; kind of like going through the motions but not really into it. The storyline was a bit of a mish mash. The most exciting part was when he was running from the bad guys and almost got hit by a train...he didn't. He's a better actor than he portrayed in this film.

3.0 out of 5 stars No not a blockbuster but....., October 1, 2013
It's not a horrible movie. I've seen much worst. It's a suspense not an action feature that is on par with something you would see on TV. It has a European feel to it and in the credits you will see why. Not as clever as Ocean's 11 but there are plot twists. One that takes advantage of most viewers preconceived notions. As far as Kilmer's character, I didn't see any secret agent stuff so I don't know why there is a believability issue. I started it before bed and finished it the next day, if that tells you anything. Izabella is smoking hot! Would surprise me if Kilmer didn't have any extra curricular rehearsal, off-set, with that one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, September 19, 2013
This review is from: Double Identity (Amazon Instant Video)
I liked the film, but then I always like Val's movies. The characters are believable and the story is engaging.

1.0 out of 5 stars POS movie, August 8, 2013
Completely confusing yet still managed to be boring, too. Don't waste your time with this so-called thriller movie. I can't believe anyone bothered to produce this.

1.0 out of 5 stars I stopped watching it, 10 minutes in, August 1, 2013
This review is from: Double Identity (Amazon Instant Video)
I have to say that this wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I didn't finish it, so I can't really tell you how it was. Yet from what I saw I just didn't care for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened, Val?, February 23, 2011
DOUBLE IDENTITY made me double angry for wasting my afternoon watching it and I only suffered through its entirety to submit a fair review. Val Kilmer must either owe a favor, need the money or someone has something on him (ie: videotape, pictures?). Or all three. Not only was the plot weak and the acting mediocre, the story was too convoluted. Even the pseudo-love scene looked contrived! Val, Val, what are you doing?! Remember THE DOORS? I guess a free trip to go film in Europe is cool and all but c'mon, where has the substance gone? Low budget is good, weak stories are bad. Maybe the script read really well but the final product is a complete failure. Hopefully he got cozy with the lead actress, total babe! Not recommended for anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars SCHMALTZY :-), July 29, 2011
This review is from: Double Identity (DVD)
I liked this movie. It's great if you are not a movie critic or some other snob.

A great popcorn eater!!!!!!

Man gets mistaken for someone he ain't. Gets involved with an absolutely beautiful girl (Izabella Miko) that any guy would kill for.

All kinds of things happen to him and her, but in the end they come together and live happily ever after.

Great Schmaltz. Pass the popcorn!!!!!!! :-):-):-)

Double Identity