5.0 out of 5 stars KISS
Published on September 3, 2002 by Undertaker

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good First Retrospective
Double Platinum,KISS's 1978 compilation is very good.The twenty songs represented here are original recordings,remixes and a newly recorded version of Strutter.

Published on July 3, 2000 by Frank R. Schoonover

5.0 out of 5 stars KISS, September 3, 2002
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
This is the first and best KISS compilation of hits. It is remastered and sounds clearer then ever. You don't need to bother with any other KISS best of cds. The new one is a rehash of their whole career. "Greatest KISS" is decent but also includes some mediocre songs. This has all the classics from the classic lineup. All the songs on here are from the time period when you know who played on what and that Ace and Peter were on every song. The best KISS compilation album.

5.0 out of 5 stars All The Classic KISS You Need, July 15, 2005
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
I'll make it short and simple. If you only can afford one KISS cd, this is the one you should get. These are the classic songs that made KISS and gave them their identity. There's a lot of music here; originally released on vinyl (I've got that too) these tracks filled two records.

KISS had many more hits after the release of this compilation, but if I were on a desert island and could only bring one KISS cd, this would be it. I'd miss some of the later stuff a lot, but I'd survive happily with Double Platinum. You will too.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good First Retrospective, July 3, 2000
Frank R. Schoonover (Niagara Falls, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)

Double Platinum came about when there were rumors within the KISS ARMY that the band was breaking up. Ace and Peter expressed interest in leaving the band to pursue solo careers.Aucoin,Bogart and the band got together and devised an idea that each of them record solo albums.Criss and Frehley liked the idea and they agreed to remain in the band.Bogart had the band record a new version of Strutter to be released on a greatest hits package.Double Platinum was released in April 1978.It quickly went platinum.It also helped dispell rumors that the band was breaking up.

The original recordings representd here are:Do You Love Me?,Let Me Go Rock and Roll,God of Thunder, I Want You,Deuce,Hotter Than Hell,100,000 Years,Rock and Roll All Nite,Beth,Makin'Love,C'mon and Love Me and Cold Gin.

As for the remixes,some are hits and others are misses.The hits are Hard Luck Woman,Love Gun,Detroit Rock City,She(interspersed with Rock Bottom intro) and Black Diamond.The misses are Firehouse(because it lacks the siren heard at the end of the original) and Calling Dr.Love(because it lacks the HA!,Yeah and I'm your doctor of love that Gene ad libbed on the original).

Sadly,the only ripoff is Strutter'78.This rerecorded version of Strutter proves that "rock and roll" and "disco" do not mix.

While a very good first retrospective,it isn't the definitive anthology that fans old and new would expect.Nonetheless,it's a very good addition to any fans music library.It might encourage fans to raid the other compilations that were released years after this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST KISS compilation CD out of VERY many compilations., September 28, 2000
Spacebeard07 "Pete" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
Have you ever seen the members of KISS and wondered what they sound like? Well this is the CD to buy. Ironically enough KISS would never be the same after this album was released back in 1978 but more on that later. This album combines the best tracks from 6 original albums released between 1974 and 1978 plus a re-recorded version of a KISS Classic. To start off the compilation is the re-recorded Disco-esque version of Strutter. Now while alot of people pan this song as being too disco I look at the brightside of the re-worked version of the song. How about the Extended solo we get from Ace Frehley? A solo which I think is better than the one on the original version from the self-titled Debut. I'm not alone in saying I probably like this version a little bit more then the original. Anyway, from there it just gets better and better as we get KISS concert standards like "Do You Love me?", "Let Me Go Rock N Roll", "Detroit Rock City", "Duece", "Love Gun" and of course "Rock and Roll all Night". Sadly they didn't include "I Stole Your Love" and opted for a really bad remix of "Firehouse". Speaking of Remixes, this album has plenty of them. I think almost every track has been remixed. Some good and some bad (see "Firehouse", "Duece" and the ending of "She"), but this does not effect the Compilation. In fact one of the remixes ,"Black Diamond", is very good with the extended acoustic beginning featuring an added clean guitar played over the acoustic guitar like the live version(most likely by Paul Stanley). Like I mentioned before this compilation is important in many ways and Ironic in many ways because after this CD was released Kiss went 3 years releasing Candy coated Pop music albums that alienated KISS fans who were with the band from 1974-1978. It was almost like saying "Here's a gift to our fans that stuck with us from 1974-1978, now enjoy our new direction" (See Spinal Tap - Mach 2 and you'll know what I mean "THIS IS DEREK SMALLS, HE WROTE THIS! "). Additionally KISS released solo albums in 1978 in which 2 out of the 4 are must haves (Ace Frehley and Paul Stanley). So to sum it all up, this is the definitive KISS Compilation to buy. Forget GREATEST KISS, SMASHES THRASHES & HITS and any other Compilation released around the world (KILLERS, CHIKARA) because they don't even come close to defining what KISS truly was which was a vastly overlooked band as far as the music was concerned with most people opting to pay more attention to image.

5.0 out of 5 stars Double Platinum = Triple Platinum Success, October 20, 2004
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
Great early hits compilation but the Japanese version of "Greatest KISS" is better IMO. Anyway, I do love this CD and the remixes are very good, especially "Calling Dr. Love" it BLOWS the original version AWAY!!!!

"Strutter '78" is cool but I still prefer the original.

"Hard Luck Woman" cool but still gotta go with the original.

"Firehouse" faster than the original but lacks the sirens at the end.

"Deuce" slower than the original but definitely better! Paul's "DO IT!" makes the song for me.

"Detroit Rock City" shorter version but does have an extra verse "You Gotta Lose Your Life in Detriot Rock City"

"She" better than the original with a longer outro.

"Black Diamond" longer intro but shorter outro, I like either version.

I still say check out the Japanese version of "Greatest KISS" if you want the best KISS compilation out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth It's Weight In Platinum!, January 26, 2000
Brent Evans (Rockhampton, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
Before Kiss split up to record their solo albums, Neil Bogart decided to release a greatest hits package, with some remixes and a new version of "Strutter", to keep the fans happy.This album is a definitive overview of Kiss up to that point in time.The remixed versions of "Calling Doctor Love","Hard Luck Woman","She","Black Diamond" and "Firehouse" are all great; even "Strutter '78" is bearable.My only complaint is that they did not include "Shock Me" and "Shout It Out Loud'.This is a better greatest hits package than SMASHES, THRASHES,AND HITS and there is not one duff track on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twenty KISS Klassics, October 21, 2009
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Gene Simmons, and Paul Stanley, collectively known as KISS, found themselves at a crossroads in the late 1970's. The band had achieved amazing success, but they were beginning to lose focus as a group. In order to keep all parties involved happy, it was decided that KISS would take a break after releasing "Double Platinum" in April of 1978 and then four solo albums in September of that same year.

"Double Platinum" features a new recording of "Strutter" that is entitled "Strutter '78" and a collection of tracks (some remixed) from all of KISS' studio albums recorded between 1974 and 1977. Many KISS fans argue over whether or not "Strutter" and the remixed tunes should have been messed with for this greatest hits package. To be quite honest, the new recording of "Strutter" is actually pretty good and only loyal KISS fans will be able to pick out the changes in the remixed songs.

Personal favorites included on this album are "Love Gun," "Beth," and the remix of "Black Diamond." Also of note is "Makin' Love."

I like to tote "Double Platinum" with me on the road because it's one of the best collections of KISS music found on one disc. I really do not mind listening to the remixes since most of them include only minor changes. I also feel that if current fans have friends or youngsters who are showing interest in KISS, then they should buy them a copy of "Double Platinum." It gives new listeners a glimpse at KISS at the top of their game and reminds loyal fans just how great the original group sounded.

Highly recommended to new listeners. Older KISS fans probably already have this album. As I've already stated, though, older fans like myself will probably enjoy it for the simple fact that it has twenty of KISS' best tunes on one disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars KISS' first compilation album is still a great overview to KISS, October 8, 2009
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
By 1978, KISS became one of the world's biggest rock and roll bands. That April, their record label Casablanca Records issued a 2-LP best of to commemorate KISS' fifth anniversary as a recording and touring act entitled Double Platinum.
Double Platinum happened because tensions within KISS were at an all time high with rumors of the band breaking up. Casablanca Records chief Neil Bogart wanted to put out something to commemorate KISS' five years as a band so they went and recorded a new version of "Strutter" for this double greatest hits package. It's not a bad re-make. I always like it.
As for the rest of the collection, you get the original versions of "Do You Love Me?", "Let Me Go Rock and Roll", "God of Thunder", "Hotter Than Hell", "I Want You", "Deuce", "Rock and Roll All Nite", "Beth", "Makin' Love", "C'mon and Love Me" and "Cold Gin".
Then some of the tracks are either remixes or sped up versions. The excellent re-mixes are "Hard Luck Woman" (Peter's singing at the end differed than original) "Calling Dr Love" (different outro and intro), "Firehouse" (which is a semi-tone faster and sans the sirens at the end), "Detroit Rock City", "She" (interspersed with Rock Bottom intro and ending with repeat of first section) and "Black Diamond" which IMHO is better than version on first KISS album IMHO.
After its completion, lead guitarist Ace Frehley and drummer Peter Criss toyed with leaving the band for solo careers as the band was filming the made for TV movie KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park that spring (it debuted in October, 1978 on NBC). Ace no-showed some scenes during filming and Peter refused to show up to re-record his voice for the movie. Then manager Bill Aucoin, Casablanca Records chief Neil Bogart and rhythm guitarist/singer Paul Stanley and bass Player Gene Simmons got together and told Ace and Peter not to resign but all four members of KISS make solo albums. Criss and Frehley liked the idea and stayed in the band.
Double Platinum was released in April 1978. It quickly went Platinum, reached the US Top 20 and also helped squelch rumors that the band was breaking up.
Want the best of KISS, buy either this or KISS Gold 1974-82. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S BEEN TOO LONG, COME ON, April 16, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
You know you need this. I haven't heard some of these songs in a while and I'll admit that I have missed them. It (purchasing this) has kind of given me back part of my youth. I started out in around 77' recording my friends albums onto my dad's reel to reel. Wow these songs really bring back those days!! He had Destroyer, Dressed To Kill,and Love Gun. I remember when this one came out and I would go to the store and just look at it. To me it was like a bible or something. Actually it's a little hard to explain (some will understand) but let's just say it would have meant the world to me to own it when it was released. Well I did pick it up on vinyl a few years after it was released(I was only 9 when it came out). Let me tell ya that this album is what I would consider a must because it is a feel good album and it is from the days before KISS decided to tweek a little and do some really odd things. I believe this album (1978) was the last real quality album they did. I enjoy some other newer stuff but this is what really defined KISS. PSYCHO CIRCUS is pretty good by the way. Anyway let me list my highlights--strutter is redone and sounds good,do ya love me rips,love gun is great,100,000 thousand years is a forgotten classic,makin love is a real great tune,c'mon and love me is real catchy,cold gin (a great tune written by ace is a classic),black diamond,I want you is a personal favorite,as is firehouse,all of their big hits are here as well including beth, rock and roll all nite, duece,hard luck woman, god of thunder,calling dr. love and hotter than hell. Well injoy the new (I mean old) tunes and may KISS' legacy live on forever!! God Bless amd goodnight!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars MADE MY OWN., April 16, 2004
This review is from: Double Platinum (Audio CD)
GREAT COLLECTION, BUT NOT ORIGINAL MIXES. MOST IF NOT ALL THE TRACKS ON THIS RELEASE WERE RE-MIXED. I MYSELF DON'T CARE FOR RE-MIXES. AFTER YOU'VE HEARD THE ORIGINALS FOR SO LONG, IT'S HARD TO LISTEN TO THE SAME SONG THAT'S BEEN RE-MIXED. SO SINCE I OWN ALL THE REMASTERS, I MADE MY OWN DOUBLE PLATINUM COLLECTION, NOW ALL IS GOOD. I DID USE STRUTTER'78 SINCE IT WAS RE-RECORED WITH A KIND OF DISCO STYLE. BUT I GUESS IF YOU DON'T MIND THE RE-MIXES THEN THIS IS YOUR CD, IF YOU'RE JUST GETTING STARTED INTO KISS. SPEAKING OF THE REMASTERS.. I THINK IT'S HIGH TIME THEY FINISH WHERE THEY LEFT OF AT, WITH HOT IN THE SHADE, AND STOP PUTTIN' OUT THESE BEST OF GREATEST HIT PACKAGES. MOST OF WHICH IS FULL OF RE-MIXES LIKE SMASHES,THRASHES AND HITS AND WHAT EVER ELSE. LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE, I LOVE KISS, BUT ANYMORE IT'S ALL ABOUT THE $$$$. THERE NOT HURTING FOR IT SO IT'S TIME TO STOP WITH ALL THESE COMPILATIONS THAT'S GOT ONE OR TWO SONGS ON IT THAT PEOPLE DON'T HAVE AND THEY KNOW THE CONSUMER IS GONNA GO BUY IT. BUT I KNOW ONE CONSUMER WHO ISN'T. PEACE.

Double Platinum
Double Platinum by Kiss (Audio CD - 1997)