5.0 out of 5 stars The best installment yet

Published on February 18, 2010 by Angela Thompson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best installment yet, October 2, 2009
This review is from: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Sirantha Jax is finally on Ithiss-Tor, feeling way over her head as an ambassador for the Conglomerate. The Conglomerate needs her to bring the bug-like aliens, the Ithtorians to their side because they need an ally against increased attacks by the Morgut (a species of violent, frenzied eaters that see everyone as food). The Ithtorians are the only species the Morgut have ever respected. A "jumper" and former party-girl, Jax doesn't feel in her element as someone responsible for such an important task, and March, who has always been at her side isn't himself to help her.

I would have finished this much faster if it weren't for those pesky things like parents coming to visit, going to work, eating, sleeping, blah blah. All I wanted to do was read this book. I love space opera and science fiction romance. This is one of my favorite series. I think I've been anticipating it so much that by the time I got it I was getting lightheaded with giddiness and enthusiasm and I had a feeling that perhaps I was talking too much about it. The thing is, it is so hard to stay quiet while reading this book, because there's these elements you just want to talk to *someone* about. For me it was character development and the twists in the plot. I think Ann Aguirre has an evil streak. First of all, she wrote Wanderlust and ended it the way she did (if you read Wanderlust, you know what I mean). What she puts her characters through has me looking around desperately for someone so I can discuss what I just read.

First of all, you would think that by now, the third book, March and Jax's relationship would be stable. But Aguirre did something that was the equivalent of pressing the "reset" button, and it is delicious. Neither March or Jax are the same people they were at the start of this series. In fact, I'd say that what they've been through has pretty much reversed their roles, although their old selves are in there somewhere. The first half of the book had me hanging on to every word or gesture between the two of them. I kept saying "intense", because that was the word to describe it (besides "AHHH!!"). It was kind of torture, yet I was happy. It was well worth going through the wringer in Wanderlust and here to come out the other side. There was one particular scene early in the book where March and Jax talk that had me completely involved and.. well I just don't have the words.

Aguirre seems to excel at character growth. Since we're on Vel's home planet and diplomacy is the reason for being there, Vel has the biggest role besides Jax, who is the narrator. I was really interested in finding out more about Vel in Wanderlust so I was pleased with learning more about him through Jax. The others were around less often (they weren't needed for all the negotiations that Jax attended), but everyone in Jax's circle is multi-faceted, and you catch a glimpse of inner depth in Jael, Dina, Hit, and Doc. If you're familiar with Ann Aguirre, you know these aren't always happy people either. Jax has a past full of scandal and self-preservation, and March is a psychic and soldier who had to do horrible things.

One of my favorite tropes is a stranger in a strange land or a culture-clash story, which we have here as Jax navigates the Ithtorians, some of who don't consider humans very smart. They remember an earlier delegation which had disastrous results. There are many Ithtorians who would like Jax to fail in her talks, even enough to kill her. That's why Vel is so important, explaining to Jax subtle gestures such as meaning to a bow. The story also covers what foods to eat, what markings on caripaces mean, and Ithtorian politics. I loved this. I also liked the description of the lush, tropical world the Ithtorians' surrounded themselves in, which is nicely illustrated on the cover by Scott M. Fischer.

Overall: The best installment yet. If you read Wanderlust, you really *need* to read Doubleblind. And if you haven't read this series and you like space opera/science fiction romance, I think you should pick it up. Every successive book is better than the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sirantha Jax Rocks!, September 30, 2009
This review is from: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Sirantha Jax, finally on Ithiss-Tor, is sticking to her ambassador duties. She's going to do right by the Conglomerate, and by the world. Even though she sometimes feels like it's at the risk of her friends lives and her own personal feelings and beliefs. Her job is to get the Ithtorians on their side, so they can fight against the Morgut. A very poisonous enemy that they will be unable to defeat alone. Since the Morgut are "allergic" to the Ithtorians, and are the only being they respect, it's key to gain their alliance. Sirantha feels very off kilter doing what is "right" instead of what she WANTS to do, and most of the Ithtorians aren't very welcoming to her kind on their planet. She also doesn't have the help that she usually does from March, who is dealing with his own inner demons.

I'm loving this series, and I can't wait till the fourth book comes out. Which is sad since this one comes out tomorrow! I'll have to wait a little while. Sirantha Jax is one of my favorite protagonist ever. She sticks to her guns, even when she doesn't want to. She's got a smart mouth, but it's not over done. She's strong, even though she doesn't think she is.

Doubleblind shows her working through some tough stuff. Dealing with the Ithtorians is difficult, especially since most don't want her there, and some want to kill her. March isn't even there, he's off in a deep dark place inside his head. He knows he used to have feelings for Jax, but he doesn't feel them now. He's just doing what he thinks he should be doing, even though most of the time he wants nothing more than to tear the closest being's head off.

There was a huge chunk missing from this story, and that was Hit, Dina, and Doc. They definitely weren't around enough. This is due to the politics on Ithiss-Tor, and Jax dealing with March in her spare time. She also spends a lot of time with Vel, who is one of my favorite characters of the series. He's so different from the rest of his species, and I love his little quirks. Him and Jax get along really well, and I can't wait to see their friendship grow even stronger.

A plus about Doubleblind is that Jax and March are not the same characters they were in Grimspace. They have grown so much, and I believe it's for the better. Even though they have a rough road ahead of them. I can't get enough of this couple. The bit of romance in this Sci-fi tale is the perfect amount.

Loving the Sirantha Jax series, and can't wait to read more. If you enjoy Sci-fi, or if you don't know if you'd like Sci-fi, you should give this series a chance. Ann Aguirre captures another exciting, and well thought out story, and I'm so happy I had the chance to read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Angieville: DOUBLEBLIND, February 18, 2010
This review is from: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Jax is growing up. Despite herself. As the ambassador to Vel's home planet of Ithiss-Tor, she finds herself forced to play a part. A part she feels supremely unsuited for. It doesn't help that she's accompanied by her particularly ragtag group of rebels, each of whom seems to have a reason to distrust her at this point. And none of them more than her former lover March. Destroyed by another war, the tough-as-nails pilot has completely withdrawn so as not to pose a quite literal threat to Jax and her mission. Now that he's just a ticking time bomb, Jax is unsure what (if anything) she can or should do bring him back. And knowing March the way she does, he wouldn't want her to. More and more it seems Vel is the only one she can count on and, now that they're both in enemy territory, so to speak, they will have to combine their not inconsiderable personal arsenals in order to forge the alliance the Conglomerate needs to mount a defense against the encroaching threat of the Morgut.

DOUBLEBLIND is a much quieter book than the previous two in the series. But it wouldn't do to underestimate it because it doesn't flash and bang quite as spectacularly as its comrades. If you're a Vel fan, this book is for you. My favorite thing about it was the scenes Jax and Vel shared as he teaches her about the world he abandoned years ago and she teaches him about friendship between outsiders. There's so much political maneuvering going on that the few quiet interpersonal scenes are quite relieving to read. As always, the charged interactions between Jax and March pack such a punch. At this point, three books in, their history is one gorgeous, messy roller coaster and all I could do was hope they made it through without killing each other. I love how tightly coiled March was and how Vel seemed to always be there when Jax was in more danger than she realized. Which is often with Jax. Usually I'm the one holding my breath while reading. In this case it seemed as though each of the characters were holding their breaths, consciously restraining themselves for fear of what horror they might unleash with one wrong move. DOUBLEBLIND did have the feel of a transition book to me and I found myself turning the pages quickly, wanting to get to the end already, my mind looking ahead to what Ann Aguirre has in store for us next with KILLBOX, which is due out in September.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love Vel!, November 2, 2009
Michele Lee (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
I bought this book.

Doubleblind, the third book in Aguirre's SF-romance series, isn't going to be my favorite book in the series. In this volume jumper (a special kind of person who can navigate the subspace area that makes deep space travel possible), ex-criminal and formerly broken Sirantha Jax lands on the infamously closed planet Ithiss-Tor, home of bounty hunter-turned-friend, Vel, on a mission to forge an alliance between humans and Ithtorians to save both from the savage cannibal Morgut who are raiding space ports and far planets, leaving occupants dead. With her mother (head of the criminal Syndicate) trying to make sure she fails, and lives depending on Jax's success, not to mention the Ithtorian repulsion of humans, disaster is not just possible, it's imminent.

First the good, Aguirre maintains a full cast of characters, each with unique strengths and weaknesses and stories. Jax's struggle to shuck her selfish, party-girl past comes to odds with the responsibilities and expectations others unfairly put on her creating a tense, conflicted inner dialog as the story moves on. Jax's personal quest to rebuild the mind of March, once her lover, a psi forced to cut himself off from his emotions to mentally survive a war thrust on him by manipulations of his personal honor, is especially heart breaking.

Aguirre spins a fascinating world in Ithiss-Tor, home world of a bug species that, true to type, communicate as much with body language and scent as with verbalized language. This is truly a reason to pick up this book, as the imagery is complex and solid, not to mention the Ithtorian characters are full developed despite being such a inhuman race.

Aguirre's rich and descriptive world and characters are as solid as ever in Doubleblind, so already established fans will definitely want to continue with their story.

And, finally the bad. Aguirre, with Doubleblind clearly comes down on the side of romance rather than maintaining a fine split between romance and science fiction as in the previous novels. A large amount of the drama and tension has to do with the personal relationships between the characters. In the end I was left with a feeling that conflicts were tied up too neatly, with very little actually conflict, just emotional strain.

March's method of recovery is truly interesting, but easier than I expected. Add to that only one true fight scene in the whole book, which Jax largely avoids, and a climax with wired in tension, but no conflict after all is said and done and I was left with a bit of a dissatisfied feeling with this addition to the Jax world.

I badly wanted to see Jax throwing down in some sort of ritual combat to prove her worth to the Ithtorians and earn at least some respect from them instead of primarily suffering emotionally and playing politics. She is such a contrary, stubborn and steel-souled character that all the politics, as Jax herself worries about in the book, neuters her too much for my tastes.

I hope Aguirre finds a place between emotionality and action for the next book. Coupled with the vivid details, fine characterization and inspired writing it makes for excellent writing, which is what I've come to expect from this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diplomats... in... spaaaaace!, October 2, 2009
ocelott (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Every time I review one of these books, I go on and on about the narration style and Jax as protagonist. There's a reason for that: both are phenomenal. As the series progresses, we get to watch Jax grow and change, but shades of her former, more selfish self poke through often enough to highlight how difficult the progression is for her. She's still a wonderful combination of tough but broken, and her voice is inarguably what makes this series so addictive to me. The first person perspective is urgent and powerful, and I'm pretty sure if Jax were telling me in great detail about her efforts doing the laundry, I would be fascinated. The voice and narration style just suck me in at page one and don't let go until I've finished the book, at which point I turn the page, realize there's no more writing, and glare at the back cover for awhile, sulking that I don't have the next installment right now.

Readers intrigued by Vel or Jael will have lots to appreciate in Doubleblind, which delves a little deeper into both gentlemen. (If, by the way, anyone finds a Vel around, please send him my way. I'm up for adopting one.) Some of the secrets hinted at in previous books are explored, and Vel in particular becomes an increasingly major presence in Jax's life.

The book isn't as action-packed as its predecessors, but since Jax is currently acting as a diplomat, that's probably a good thing. The pace doesn't suffer for the lack of fight scenes, though, and since the character driven nature of the books has always been primarily what's drawn me to them, I was just as delighted to read about their political and social struggles as see them get into a knife fight. Since Jax is pretty far out of her element here, it's a lot of fun to watch the inner struggle as well as the political outer conflict. It's more personal in a lot of ways, and I felt like I'd run through the emotional gamut every bit as much as the characters had by the time I'd finished the book, which in my mind is the mark of effective storytelling.

And now for the million dollar question: does the book hold up to Wanderlust? Is it as good as its predecessor? Actually, it's not. It's even better. How is this possible? Well, you'd better get yourself pre-ordering to find out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best book of the series, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
This series just keeps getting better.

I liked the first book because the protagonist was so fresh and real, the action was exciting and well-written and the romance sub-plot had really interesting "complications".

The second book took Jax farther along in her character development than many in this genre do. She changed and grew in interesting ways. And, again, the characters and dialogue and action-packed scenes felt fresh and fun.

But this third book is my favorite so far. The plotting felt tighter, the pacing was spot-on and the story was even more engaging than the first two. And the romance? Oh, man, I actually cried: Big sloppy snuffly tears at two different points in the book. I almost never do that. But I could really *feel* Jax's complex emotions over a complex situation - That's some good writing right there.

There's less "action" than in the first two - though the action that is there is still page-turningly intense - and more political intrigue. But I think that subtle change of pace reflects Jax's own growth as a person. And I really like that.

I love that Jax is not the same person she was at the start of this series. I think that continued character development is a big part of what keeps me waiting for the next book in this series. And the next. I feel like I'm along for the ride with a flawed-but-trying protagonist as she kicks and stumbles her way forward. And I'm really liking the ride.

3.0 out of 5 stars IT's Okay, January 20, 2013
Once you start a series, you usually finish it. I enjoyed reading this book and the series, but I couldn't help thinking of ways to improve the story. Sometimes it felt like I was reading a romance novel instead of a science fiction space novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jax is an amazing character - Love this series!, November 14, 2009
This review is from: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Jumper Sirantha Jax arrives on Ithiss-Tor for a diplomatic mission of vital importance, heaven help us all. The Ithtorians are an alien race similar in appearance to the preying mantis, to the point that some of the females have been known to behead the males during mating. Vel, the Ithtorian bounty hunter who has become a part of their crew is with them as a translator and guide. The Ithtorians had previously closed their planet to humans seeing them as nothing more than pink fleshy savages. But the Conglomerate needs an alliance with the bug-like creatures in order to stop the Morgut, another bug-like alien race who is slaughtering every human they encounter. To add to the burden Jax is carrying is the fact that March is still stuck in kill mode as he was at the end of Wanderlust. He accompanied Jax on this mission but it remains to be seen if he will be a help or if his mental state trigger an intergalactic incident. Regardless of how closed off March is; Jax is driven to try and reach him. Jax wasn't known for her tact or her selflessness in the past but she has evolved over the past two books. But was she sent on this mission to succeed or were they counting on her failure?

Jax and the crew are a favorite of mine since I first reviewed Grimspace. Opening this book was like visiting old friends. I will say that it would be best to start at the beginning to really appreciate how far Jax has come. Jax works very hard to understand the Ithtorian society and it is a treat to see her succeed in earning some of their respect. My heart broke every time that Jax and March interacted, knowing how close they had been and how hard it will be to regain that. Vel is still such a compelling character. I love every interaction between him and Jax. The Ithtorians were a very fascinating alien race since they were so very different from humans. But I must confess there is an ick factor since I am not a big fan of bugs much less ones as big as I am. Ms. Aguirre excels at having an overall arc for the series and at the same time having a smaller but still just as complex arc for each book. So while I felt very satisfied at the end of Doubleblind, I am highly anticipating where these events will lead us in the next book. I would be hard pressed even at this point in the series to try and describe it to someone or even compare it to something else out there. So I will leave it at this, Ann Aguirre writes a rip roaring science fiction romance adventure that will knock your socks off.
Originally reviewed at Night Owl Romance

4.0 out of 5 stars Not To Be Missed Third Installment (B+ Grade), October 28, 2009
This review is from: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Doubleblind is the third book in Ann Aguirre's Science Fiction Grimspace series. In the first two books, Grimspace and Wanderlust, readers are introduced to an amazing heroine in Sirantha Jax. Sirantha mainly goes by her last name, Jax, to her friends and acquaintances. Jax's skill is jumping through space and time, in what is called Grimspace. Jumping to her is like a drug and it is slowly killing her. She needs to give it up because she could possibly end up dead after one more jump. Jax has been through a great deal: being framed for murder, trying to get over the death of her lover Kai, and then moving on and joining a rag-tag crew who is against the Conglomerate, a group that rules over the universe. Through an interesting set of circumstances, Jax has been chosen as an ambassador for the Conglomerate after all the charges against her have been dropped.

Jax has no choice but to travel to the planet of Ithiss-Tor, where the creatures who reside there are bug-like aliens. They can't stand humans and want nothing to do with the Conglomerate or with Jax. The Conglomerate needs Ithiss-Tor to join them in the fight against the rebels who want to bring them down. If the Ithtorians don't accept what the Conglomerate is offering, there could be another war on the horizon.

Jax is very much out of her element even with Vel, an Ithtorian who is her translator. She and Vel have a very special friendship even though he was originally sent to kill her. Then there is March, Jax's lover, who has become mentally unstable. March has a deep dark past where he has killed many. He has shut down all his feelings and is in killer mode. Jax doesn't know how to reach this man who saved her from her own demons. He now suffers and may just end up destroying himself and everything he and Jax have worked so hard for.

As Jax tries diplomacy with the Ithtorians; she is being watched closely. Someone wants her to fail. The question is: who? Even with Vel and March by her side, she may not succeed, because when one of the most respected Ithtorians is poisoned, Jax is blamed. Someone she trusts may be the one responsible. It's up to Jax to find this possible murderer and still succeed at her mission. If she doesn't, the universe as she knows it will never be the same.

I have been a fan of Ms. Aguirre's Grimspace series since the first book and I can say that Doubleblind delivers in every way. This is not only an action-packed sci-fi tale, but it also has a suspenseful mystery in regards to who is trying to sabotage Jax's mission for peace. Everyone is a suspect and when I figured out who was the villain, I was shocked. My jaw dropped open in disbelief.

The planet of Ithiss-Tor is a creatively-drawn place where huge bug-like creatures are the superior race. They frown upon humans, and it's very telling because in between the lines many issues are brought up such as bigotry and injustice against races. The way Jax handles herself is much like I would. She is scared, confused and so unsure. This former party girl who lived on the edge now must act like a responsible adult. She has the weight of the world on her shoulders and knows it. Failure is not an option.

One of the best things about Doubleblind is the relationship between Jax and Vel. These two are so very different, for obvious reasons, because Jax is human and Vel is an alien bug. But through their dialogue and actions concerning one another, I could see the great depth of love and devotion these two have. Vel is a wonderfully written character who really shines here. He even takes the focus away from March. In Grimspace and Wanderlust, it was all about March and Jax working together as a team. In Doubleblind, March has been written in such a way where he is more of a secondary character because of his lack of appearances through the book. Because he is so cold and mercenary, the bond Jax and he have is almost nonexistent for the majority of the story. I felt so bad for Jax because she loves March so much. Waiting to see if these two would rekindle their love did have me on the edge of my seat.

Ann Aguirre is well known for her great world building and unique characters. She has done that again with Doubleblind and one book that science fiction fans, especially those who enjoy sci-fi with romantic elements, will not want to miss.

Katiebabs

4.0 out of 5 stars Doubleblind, October 24, 2009
This review is from: Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Sirantha Jax is feeling the pressure - as a jumper, the urge to dive headlong into grimspace (yet again) is stronger than ever but here she is, traveling to Ithiss-Tor as an ambassador for the Conglomerate. In the wake of the Farwan Corporation's collapse, the Conglomerate is still struggling to keep citizens safe in the face of the mafia-esque Syndicate subtly flexing their muscles and the Morgut's increasingly frequent fatal attacks. Jax isn't necessarily ambassador material, but since she's probably the only human ever to become friends with an Ithorian-turned-bounty hunter, Vel, she's the best mankind has to offer. And how scary is that? As ambassador, she is charged with creating an alliance with the Ithorians 'bugs' since they are essentially the only civilization ever to have defeated the Morgut. The Ithorians however, distrust and loath humans: seeing them as inferior, weak beings. They even think Vel somewhat defective for leaving their planet to live among humans. Lucky for Jax however, he's got her back and is there to help her navigate the political doublespeak and intricate Ithorian customs.

Not only is Jax having to tread lightly with the Ithorians - she's the kind to shoot first, blow up the planet, salt it, and then, ask questions later - she has to figure out a way to help her lover March come out of his permanent 'kill' mode. The least touch or perceived threat (real or imagined) results in him literally going berserk on anyone and everyone. Worst of all, even though he remembers loving Jax, he can't figure out why he ever did and can see no future whatsoever with the feisty jumper. But Jax isn't giving up on him and will try to do everything in her power to bring the old, uber-conscientious March back.

Whoa.

I'm still reeling over this series - Grimspace and Wanderlust have to be two of my best discoveries from the past year and Doubleblind did not disappoint. I'm the first to admit that there's plenty going on in these books but Ann Aguirre has this masterful ability of being able to connect multiple cultures and characters flawlessly that you have to just simply sit back and trust her to take you where you need to go. I cannot say how much I love Jax. And March. And Vel. Who wouldn't love somebody with a pack as bottomless as Mary Poppins' bag, that is, if Mary Poppins carried shock guns, all weather jackets, transmission scramblers, and sundry computer hacking materials. Handy to have when you're on an alien planet full of bugs wanting to kill you.

Doubleblind distinctly departs from the non-stop action formula present in the previous two Jax books with spectacular results. Essentially a character-driven novel, we are truly able to see how much Jax has grown over time. Nothing is so satisfying as that. Two books ago there is no way she would have been able to complete a mission as ambassador, let alone one as delicate in nature as this one. Jax herself understands the irony of her situation and let's just say, she's feeling the strain.

"I know; it's crazy for me to be the voice of reason, the prudent one, but that's the hat I'm wearing right now, and let me tell you, it's tight across the brim."

After facing some rough make-or-break situations, Jax has learned the value of patience, listening to those around her, and not always going off half-cocked. Fun that, but not always effective. Much of this change has to be the direct result of her time spent primarily with March and secondly with Vel. Vel has that alien viewpoint which has caused Jax to look at the effect of her choices in a new light - she's still paranoid and a smart-mouth, but she's learned how to control it in her favor. Furthermore, March used to be the one who had to wait patiently for Jax and now she is the one making sure March knows she'll never give up on him - a monstrous task since we always knew the man was crazy but now, he's downright off his rocker. In Doubleblind, Jax proves she is more than capable of subtly as well as a respectable right hook and I'm just not sure I can wait until next year for her next adventures in the upcoming Killbox (promising title, don't you think?).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3)
Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, Book 3) by Ann Aguirre (Mass Market Paperback - September 29, 2009)
$7.99 $6.75