5.0 out of 5 stars Photography or editing?
Published on November 6, 2012 by William J. Scharf

Let's start on the less subjective side:

Published on December 11, 2012 by Hilmar

5.0 out of 5 stars Photography or editing?, November 6, 2012
This review is from: Doug Rickard: A New American Picture (Hardcover)
Very controversial book and a hot topic in photography. But my question is: Is this photography or editing. Ricard didn't take the photographs he selected them from Google. He makes no bones about that. But is he a photographer or an editor or a curator? If he found them in an abandoned file box somewhere and published them would he get credit as the photographer? I think it's brilliant what he accomplished but for me, it raises more questions than it answers. What next? As for the book itself: the quality is below average, typical Aperture when compared to Steidl. The original limited edition is much better but long gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous modern American photographs.... but with an old-school Ashcan/Hopper-esque vibe., September 3, 2013
This review is from: Doug Rickard: A New American Picture (Hardcover)
Doug Rickard is a young photographer who has done something that perhaps any of us could've done... yet he ingeniously did it first and most compellingly and beautifully: He lifted some street-level photographs from GOOGLE EARTH of various neighborhoods within the USA... but specifically sought out some of America's most poverty-stricken urban and rural neighborhoods. Striking, compelling, astonishing, heartbreaking images of America's humblest people, in their native environment... seemingly getting by on almost nothing at all, yet not appearing at all sorry for themselves. In this muckraking mood, Rickard's images owe much to the so-called "Ashcan School" of the early 1900's, others seem Hopper-esque, others look like oneiric riffs on Norman Rockwell, and most of them have a clear, yet somehow dreamlike appearance of, say, the 1970's canvases of the Photorealists. Rickard has a superb, unflinching eye, and he has found a novel, striking, unforgettable way of showing it. Highly recommended. While starkly beautiful, these are not "feel-good" pictures by any stretch: they will probably give you the feeling they give me: a gnawing, hollow, ghostly--- sometimes even devastating-- feeling about the vast inequities in American society.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had to read better, interesting idea (or so I thought...), mediocre print, December 11, 2012
Let's start on the less subjective side:

I do not like the print quality. Whether you like the pictures or not, this is not a high quality print. Mediocre paper, "mweh" image quality. Image quality actually sucks, but I guess it's part of the "concept". Binding is OK, but I had expected a lot more from an Aperture publication. I own Rinko Kawauchi: Illuminance, same price, beautiful prints on heavy paper stock. Disappointed with the overall quality of the book.

Then on the subjective area:

This is my mistake, but I was under the impression the author was a photographer who found Google street view images of poverty and went to the place to take the actual pictures. This is not the case, this is just a collection of street view screen caps. I guess some call it a "good concept" or "great art", but I consider myself a sucker that didn't read the marketing message properly.

I think art is like any area, subject to marketing. I do not see added value or anything artistic in this work. I see a "lazy" effort polished up with nice concept-blahblah. I fell for it and feel stupid for it.

The images themselves:

Outside of the fact that many images are blocky and grainy in the ugly-jpg-compression way, it gives an interesting view on poverty in the US.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way of looking at America, June 4, 2014
This review is from: Doug Rickard: A New American Picture (Hardcover)
Looking at photographers like Stephen Shore Doug Richard took a trip to the poorest places in America in our time, but this time with a little help of Goole Street view. A new way of taking a closer look at America of today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful images, September 30, 2013
This review is from: Doug Rickard: A New American Picture (Hardcover)
Nice work some beautiful finds in the the world of google street view. A snap shots of quite a narrow but more hidden side of America.

5.0 out of 5 stars These screen grabs are beautiful. Some, October 22, 2014
This review is from: Doug Rickard: A New American Picture (Hardcover)
These screen grabs are beautiful. Some, like the cover shot, look like moody Hopper paintings, and that's a good thing.

Doug Rickard: A New American Picture
Doug Rickard: A New American Picture by David Campany (Hardcover - September 30, 2012)
$60.00 $54.00