5.0 out of 5 stars All THat and More
Published on April 17, 2000 by thesavvybamalady

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING BUT GOOD MOVIE IT GOES TO SHOW ANYONE CAN CHANGE THEIR ...
NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING BUT GOOD MOVIE IT GOES TO SHOW ANYONE CAN CHANGE THEIR LIFE WITH HELP FROM FAMIL
Published 3 months ago by Linda H.

5.0 out of 5 stars All THat and More, April 17, 2000
This review is from: Down in the Delta (DVD)
I wasn't able to see this film initially due to me moving back south, but the minute I saw it on video, I rented it, the minute I saw it on sale, I bought it and don't regret it. I am not surprised that this film is not up there as one of the best family films ever made. Here you have a movie made by one of the most talented and versatile women in this country, a cast of some of the best black actors around, and when the movie comes out,it gets little notice. Go figure. When I first saw this movie, I fell in love with it. The fact that this guy took the very object that his father was sold for and it stayed in that family from generation to generation. Beautiful. I think that the movie should be viewed in schools,churches,wherever you have an audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-Rate Drama, October 18, 1999
This review is from: Down in the Delta [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Once again, Alfre Woodard shows us why she's one of the top American actresses. I do not understand why she isn't in more big-budget films. Just remember, this is the actress that lit up the stage twenty years ago in Ntozake Shange's For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide. . . ."
Down in the Delta is a splendid film, rich in character development, themes, and filmmaking. Angelou is to be applauded.
We need more films like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars A well-acted family story, March 30, 2003
This review is from: Down in the Delta (DVD)
"Down in the Delta," directed by Maya Angelou, tells the story of Loretta (played by Alfre Woodard), a single mother who lives in Chicago and faces economic hardships. She and her kids move to the family's rural ancestral home to live with her uncle (Al Freeman, Jr.). This change of setting has a profound impact on the family.
Those familiar with Angelou's fine books will probably see similar themes explored in this film. Solid performances are turned in by the excellent ensemble cast. I was especially impressed by Mpho Koaho as Loretta's young son. And veteran performer Esther Rolle turns in particularly moving performance as Loretta's Alzheimer's-afflicted aunt.
This film does a good job of exploring a variety of interconnected relationships in this multigenerational context. The film celebrates family ties and family tradition, as well as one's capacity to overcome adversity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, heartwarming movie the whole family can enjoy., September 20, 1999
This review is from: Down in the Delta [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Any evening would be a good evening to enjoy this movie. My teenage daughters, my wife and myself were very pleased with this movie. It is a strong black movie with a excellent cast. Alfre Woodward was at her best as a Chicago mother going "down in the delta" to help save herself and her family.I would suggest this movie to anyone who enjoys movies stressing strong families, no profanity, no sex, and some of the finest actors I have seen in a long time. Big ups also to the director Maya Angelou.

5.0 out of 5 stars A family movie without sex, violence and bad language., June 9, 2002
L. W. Noronha (New Providence, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down in the Delta (DVD)
I haven't felt this good about a movie in a long time. Not since "A Trip to Bountiful" anyway. I don't know how I missed it on the big screen. Thank god for DVD. (Too bad Bountiful is not out on DVD yet. )
It is a beautifully-made family movie without sex, violence and foul language (or even harsh language for that matter). If you want any of that or fast-paced action (Wesley Snipes in not cast in his usual role) you will not get it here. In fact, I don't know why it wasn't rated G.
I wont bother to repeat the story since it has been covered by other reviewers here. Maya Angelou has made a slow-paced but even-tempoed film that chronicles a family's struggle to stay together. In her subtle way she almost succeeds in making us fail to notice that this is an African-American film with barely a white face seen except in flash-back sequences. Her subtlety also extends to portraying strength in her female characters even when they are flawed. It is enlightening to watch how she blends societal contrasts so effortlessly - the contrast between the haves and the have-nots and the one between urban and rural America.
All in all, this is a good movie to watch with your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, July 24, 2003
This review is from: Down in the Delta [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I watched this movie the first time just because of the cast. I've always thought Alfre Woodard was wonderful, and don't get me started about Mary Alice, Al Freeman Jr., and Esther Rolle! I just loved it, and I caught it again when it ran on cable a while back. I've told everyone I know to see it. It's what so-called traditional family values are all about: caring and integrity and your family heritage, and, most of all, LOVE!
It was also good to see Wesley Snipes step out of his usual bada*** roles into something different--he pulls it off pretty well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, clean, meaningful, and full of rich teaching, June 26, 2002
Chris Phillips (Middleton, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down in the Delta (DVD)
This was a phenomenal movie. This is one of the only movies I have seen where African-American families are portrayed in a positive, and yet not politically manipulative light. The messages delivered through this production are as timeless as the meaning behind "Nathan" (a centerpiece in the movie). I would highly recommend this for teachers to use for powerful examples of ethnic identity development, positive examples of multicultural awareness, and inspirational teachings for all students. Additionally, this is a great show for families to feel comfortable watching together (however, there may be one or two scenes that are a little harsh for children- but they are not graphic by any means).
Overall, this is an excellent film!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Black Family's Bond, October 13, 1999
This review is from: Down in the Delta (DVD)
This movie ranks in the top five of positive films about African American families and our lives. From Alfre Woodard to James Freeman Jr. to Wesley Snipes to Mary Alice to the young and old supporting cast. This is real--our struggles, our sacrifices, our love, our strength, the integrity of our ancestral heritage, our survival in spite of hardships. Hollywood, with the help of Black filmmakers and directors had better start producing more movies like this one, "Once upon a Time when We Were Colored" and "Eve's Bayou!" We are watching!

4.0 out of 5 stars An underrated gem, February 4, 2002
This review is from: Down in the Delta (DVD)
Maya Angelou's directorial debut underperformed at the box office, but don't let that discourage you from seeing this winner. It concerns a drug-abusing mother (a great Alfre Woodard) who can't kick her habit or hold down a job. In other words, this girl's a mess. In an effort to get her act together, she takes her kids down south to begin a new life. At times, the movie has a made-for-TV feel, but it's an otherwise riveting debut for Angelou. You can feel her prescence in her directorial style; the words spoken from a few of the actors have a certain poetic flow. So, why, then, did I give it a rating of only 4 stars? Because the DVD has absolutely no features! No trailer! No production notes! Nada! I hope Miramax will revisit this film and give it a bunch of decent features including a making-of featurette. Silll, even without the extras, this film still gets the green light from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excuse Me If I Moan to Loudly..., July 10, 2000
C. Manson (Destin, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down in the Delta [VHS] (VHS Tape)
...but I'm in pain from kicking myself for not seeing this wonderful movie sooner. Every screenwriter in America should aspire to write characters for Alfre Woodard to play. She is the most magnificent woman to grace the screen in ages. The loss of Esther Rolle shortly after this film's completion adds an extra touch of poignancy to a movie already overflowing with emotion. I grew up watching Ms. Rolle on "Good Times" and was happy to see her in recent films like "Rosewood" and also one of my favorites, 1989's "The Mighty Quinn." She will definitely be missed.

Down in the Delta
Down in the Delta by Maya Angelou (DVD - 2011)
$54.99