5.0 out of 5 stars damn good cook book
Published on January 14, 2003 by Shawna T

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh.
Will probably donate the book. The recipes are not that down-home. Perhaps that means something different to a Southerner.
Published 2 months ago by NutMeg

5.0 out of 5 stars damn good cook book, January 14, 2003
Shawna T (Longview, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
I am extremely selective of any cookbook. This book has a wonderful variety of recipes and ALL are very quick and easy, which is great for us busy parents who believe in a well-rounded, balanced and wholesome meal. That's hard to do these days AND in this economy. I'm not a "chef" by any means but try to put out very "taste-bud" pleasing meals. This cookbook allows great meals on a budget w/very little cooking time or mess. You will love the extra bonus info that comes with the book. Little short bits that explain the origin of some of the recipes, cooking tips (very helpful:),and such a variety of recipes in each catagory of food. **Great taste w/clear & easy instructions**

5.0 out of 5 stars This book Rocks!, May 11, 2010
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
I don't understand why there are not that many reviews on this book??? When I saw recipes for doughnuts, Apple Fritters and hush puppies,
Philly steak OMG!!! I was more than sold. I paid $3.00 for the book at a local store.... I almost left the book behind, because I had not researched the book online.. I took my chances and came home and looked through the whole book! A nice treat, a nice surprise... This book has recipes that my other cookbooks do not have like hush puppies and doughnuts.. This book also has recipes for canning and jams, cakes, breads, pies, cookies, shrimp jambalaya, grilled scallops, tamale pie, soups, salads, hungarian goulash... I could go on and on!

So many bread recipes and beautiful pictures and a back to the basics section that shows how to make radish flowers, green onion fans, old fashioned braid for crust, kneading and proofing yeast bread, shucking oysters, boiling shrimp, peeling and deveining shrimp, boning a whole round fish, stuffing and trussing a chicken, turkey or goose and so many more!! You have to get the book. It also has a section that tells you the color of meat to look for, how much fish to buy for each serving, substitutions, measurement equivalents, and so much more...

Well we also have a good amount of cook books now, but this has a special place in our collection now.... Happy cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, January 26, 2003
Michael L Callery (near Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
Alright, I'm biased. I worked on this book as the computer consultant and as a contributor of a couple of recipes. It was the bext job I ever had. Not only did I get paid to help with the design, formatting and creation of the book. I also got to eat. And eat. And eat. Terrific recipes from all over the country and most of the recipes are adapted for healthier eating. But where necessary, the old "full o' fat and sodium" recipe is given. It's pretty much the only cookbook I use these days.
I'm not sure, but I'll bet this is one of the few cookbooks where you can find everything from the sandwiches served at high tea at the Plaza Hotel in NYC to gut-burning Texas Chili straight from the Lone Star State.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful American Sampler, February 4, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
I love this cookbook for its detailed directions and even more for the delicious recipes. But I also love browsing it for the "sidebar" asides giving the history of some of the dishes or the regions where they originated. Beautifully illustrated, as well. Very comprehensive, with lots of entrees, sides, appetizers, desserts, etc. The ease of preparation varies, with plenty for novice and experienced cooks alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Cookbook, July 15, 2008
Mominthewoods (Amherst Junction, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
I have owned this cookbook for at least 10 years and use it often. I have yet to make something from this cookbook that was not great! Some of my favorites; Chopped Tomato Salad, The Rocky Mountain BBQ Sauce, Cheese Blitzes, Old Country Quiche, Cinnamon Rolls, New York Cheesecake, Ruthie's Apple Pie, the pie crust...I could go on and on! A great variety of recipes for casual cooking to more impressive entertaining dishes. It's my go to cookbook always!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old School Review, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
The book is a mainstay in our household and a copy was found quickly, easily, and very inexpensively (The shipping was more than the cost). The book is filled with great recipes and my wife will use no other. If you like basic good food without all the fancy nonsense that you will most likely not use, then this is the cookbook for you and with a used copy you cannot beat the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, March 8, 2007
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
This item has recipes without all the fancy stuff. So it has things I actually cook. After seeing a friend of mines' book I bought a couple of copies and give them to other friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars down home cooking the new healthier way, October 13, 2009
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
great cook book...had borrowed it from library...decided that i wanted my own copy...the order arrived almost at once....great!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Open the door, Homer, January 6, 2015
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
This is a new copy for us ordered after the old one fell apart from use, it's that good a cookbook. Recipes for funny-sounding dishes you've maybe only heard about — like Mulligan Stew, Billi Bi, and Chicken Booyah — rub shoulders with fancy-schmancy stuff like Oysters Rockefeller or Eggs Benedict. There are a few glaring omissions — e.g., why just New York-style clam chowder? But all in all a tasty selection of more or less authentic Americanized standards. Albeit I admit I've never tried Hillary's Chicken (from "Arkansas' First Lady") but we all know she didn't stay home baking cookies anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Condition not as stated, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way (Hardcover)
The content of the cookbook is excellent. The condition was listed as "very good" but it was actually "good". There are obvious water or liquid damages to pages and I found an old craisin or raisin bag between two pages that caused them to stick together.

Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way
Down Home Cooking: The New Healthier Way by Editors of Reader's Digest (Hardcover - February 1, 1995)
Used & New from: $0.01