5.0 out of 5 stars Down IV Begins
As Phil and Co. have stated, "The Purple EP" will be the first of four, each to highlight a different element of the band's sound. This is officially supposed to be the "heavy" one, sparking a buzz (so to speak) with Down fans. All six songs are intended to concentrate on the more in-your-face, upbeat, energetic side of Down.

For this reason, some are...
Published on September 18, 2012 by J. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Trudges along just fine.
It's good, not great. More midspeed sludge rock from great fellas. I want to like it more, it's just not something I think I'll be revisiting much. Reminds me of the filler on the previous two records.
Published 8 months ago by Rob C.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This work is timeless., October 4, 2012
This review is from: Down IV Part I - The Purple EP (Audio CD)
It is here. The long awaited follow up to "Over The Under" is finally released and it doesn't disappoint. The production is a little more gritty than their previous album but it still have that very organic and dynamic sound that characterize them making you feel like you are in the rehearsal studio with the band. At first I was skeptical of the EP series idea but if this is a signs of thing to come then there won't be a lot to complain about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight up Metal, September 25, 2012
There was a part of me that was disappointed Down would be releasing just an EP for their first album in awhile. I guess they plan on releasing a total of 4 EP in the next year or so. If they are like The Purple EP then its going to be a good thing. A straight up kickass album.

5.0 out of 5 stars RESENT YOURSELF!!!, September 21, 2012
Leadhead09 "ZacH" (Midwest City, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down IV Part I - The Purple EP (Audio CD)
I was quite surprised by how well this album turned out. After the mellow "Over The Under", I was worried Down was getting soft. "The Purple" has what we want: that sludgy Sabbath/Skynyrd/C.O.C/Crowbar sound that melts our ears. "Open Coffins", "Levitation", "WitchTripper" and "The Curse" are my personal favorites. Can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little different than the usual Down, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Down IV Part I - The Purple EP (Audio CD)
This has a decidedly Sabbath feel to it. I wasn't really sure how I felt about it when I listened to it the first time, but on go-around number three I can say it won't be leaving my cd player anytime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars DOOM!, September 18, 2012
This review is from: Down IV Part I - The Purple EP (Audio CD)
i completly agree with the other review...this ep is amazing its very tuned down for that sludgy doom sound which i love. it really makes me look forward to the other eps that are coming out throughout the year to complete a series they are doing.Pop this badboy in and mellow out and enjoy the riffs along with those comforting vocals we all know and love so much

3.0 out of 5 stars Trudges along just fine., December 31, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Just heavy rock n roll, June 18, 2014
This review is from: Down IV Part I - The Purple EP (Audio CD)
Down is just good heavy rock n roll. I think Down is mellow enough for the non metal head yet heavy enough to give metal heads that warm feeling inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU TELL IT PHIL, May 29, 2014
down continues to produce metal with the fuzzy drug addled sound that was so raw and fresh on NOLA but with a little more production polish. Just saw them in Dallas and Down does not disappoint!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some more stoner heaven, May 26, 2014
A speedy pace to the album, Steeple gallops evenly until it breaks down into massive riffs narrowly eclipsed by a mildly restrained Anselmo. The mixing on Steeple, fantastic, establishing the suffocating heavy bricks on your chest sound Down has perfected. We Knew Him Well is busy, motivated, and passionate. This is the agitated part of the ride, Anselmo belting out painfully, with his band mates aggressively pounding a power track stained with heavy blues and agony. A black and white video of the Louisiana-based quintet for We Knew Him Well shows the rockers crowded in a small space, almost on top of each other, which incidentally matches the sound of this track.
Dogshead is thick molasses, not sweet, boots stuck in mud wretchedness, led by killer bass. Conjure follows, a trippy mind-blower, so modern day Black Sabbath, so Cajun Down, two unique spices from the same family; I can’t get enough of this haunting metal spiritual. Gentle and rolling in transitions, Down IV Part 2, is more Appalachian than Rock Mountains, still traversing ruggedly, but not as sharp and radical from song to song as Down II, Bustle in Your Hedgerow, or as diverse as the beloved NOLA. Impossible to please the masses, some fans have wished for more Stone The Crow and complained that the new stuff is too experimental. To each his own, but you may want to clean out your one-hitter if you claim Down to be experimental.
Sufferer’s Dears surges with a nasty delivery and curse-laden lyrics, authentic and real. Ending in style, Bacchanalia comes in silently and leaves with an unexpected Jar of Flies (AIC) instrumental fashion. The final minute of Part 2, extraordinary, a flavor unseen to this point, it deserves special attention and notice, as it carries a tune that is solidly more of the same concrete mix.
If you are new to Down, I believe there lays a best practice when listening to them. More than any band I dig, Down is an extended feeling and their form of art is reduced when one takes the whole, breaks it apart, and judges it piece by piece(like I must do by necessity here). Down is a throwback, put the needle on the black circle, and let it spin band. Pun fully intended, the Down experience becomes disjointed any other way than to surround yourself in their cloud of smoke and let the stillness settle in. From that stoner perspective, Down IV, Part 2, isn’t markedly different than any earlier blends, and I couldn’t be happier about it. Oddly, in Down, I’m not looking for new direction or musical innovativeness, I simply want to feel their groove, be in their space, and Down IV, Part 2, is another got-the-goods, light it up, puff and pass musical trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect blend of heavy and harmony, May 1, 2014
Down still continues to put together amazing music. These guys are like the all star team of heavy metal and their deep, chunky riffs blended with a hard southern rock feel make for some badass music. Can't wait to see them come back to Atlanta!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

Down IV Part I - The Purple EP
Down IV Part I - The Purple EP by Down (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies