5.0 out of 5 stars Magical in the series, magical in my memory
Published on December 13, 2011 by Storylover

Published 18 months ago by Jennifer D. St Georges

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical in the series, magical in my memory, December 13, 2011
Storylover (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Downton Abbey: Original Music from the TV Series (Audio CD)
Downton Abbey caught me by surprise. Not only was the Edwardian drama surprisingly compelling, but I kept wondering "who is writing that music?" Themes of longing and beauty, reminiscent of the best work of Richard Robbins in "Maurice" and "Remains of the Day" kept replaying in my mind over and over. Now as I listen to the soundtrack, all the emotion, the repressed longing, the subtle looks come back to me, and I am returned again to that world. I cannot separate the music from the visuals, they are so tightly interwoven in my mind, but my office mates who have not seen the show have enjoyed this soundtrack as well. It is relentlessly lovely, hopelessly romantic, and simply a delight. For fans of the show, this is a can't miss. For those who haven't seen it, this would appeal to lovers of modern film music that have learned from the minimalism crowd but still love heart on the sleeve romanticism. Wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey, take me away!, January 9, 2012
As another reviewer so aptly said, you can't listen to this music without picturing the scenes from the TV show which go with certain key passages. The opening theme is one of my favorite songs of the show, so I love the longer version of the song which is found on the CD. In fact, the first song on the CD - Downton Abbey, the Suite - is one that I could just put on repeat to hear over and over again! The second track - Love and the Hunter - will take you back to Lady Mary's day of hunting with the gentlemen, right before her world turned upside down. There are so many moments from the series that you can imagine while listening to this soundtrack.

Of the three vocal tracks, my favorite by far is the one performed by Mary-Jess - Did I Make the Most of Loving You. The melody is the same as that of the opening theme, set to words. The lyrics seem to add an extra layer to the melody as you listen to the song. The other two vocal tracks are performed by Alfie Boe. Just listening to them transports you to another era.

If you haven't seen Downton Abbey, I highly recommend going back to watch the first season and then quickly catching up on the second season which just started here in the States. Not only will you love the depiction of a world of class and servitude which it recreates, but you'll also have a wonderful series of visuals to accompany this soundtrack - scenes of love and treachery in a story which is not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of anticipation, January 17, 2012
When I hear this music, my mind's eye flashes scenes from Downton Abbey, transporting me from my current life to one where I probably would have been a scullery maid. When I watch Downton Abbey, this CD has made me more aware of the background music and how it contributes to the overall experience. Well done Alfie Boe!

2.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey purists beware of this CD's approach to the original score, January 2, 2013
If you are a Downton Abbey purist..do not buy this CD. I read the reviews carefully as well as the table of contents so I was prepared for some additional music/songs which were not part of the TV show.....however I was expecting the original theme music to be 'the original version' as it stated in the liner notes. The theme music speed is too fast, the sound too weak...I was sooo disappointed. What I want is the music I hear while watching the show. When you buy the CD of The Pallissers and Brideshead Revisited, you get the TV music recording. So I am still looking. However wonderful Downton Abbey is, it is the music and its amazing theme which moves the whole watching/listening experience to the next level. I feel this was a little bit of 'switch and bait' as I saw the picture on the CD cover of the cast and 'assumed' I was getting the original interpretation. I am surprised they were allowed to use the cast photo without the show's original score. This CD is relegated to the car to play on very short trips when shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, January 24, 2012
Melissa Niksic (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The "Downton Abbey" CD is just as wonderful as the show itself. Not all TV or movie soundtracks are that great, but the "Downton Abbey" album is the exception. It's a great example of a soundtrack that fares well as a standalone album. The first track, "Downton Abbey Suite," is of course my favorite, and it's the main title theme from the show, only an expanded version (like seven minutes long!). All of the other selections are enjoyable as well, and the vocal stylings by Alfie Boe blew me away. Fans of the show (and fans of good music in general) will enjoy this CD very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly beautiful music, March 3, 2014
If you love beautiful music its a wonderful CD, If you love the series Downton Abbey you'll love it even more. The music just puts my mind in a different place, just as the series brings you to a different place and time. I couldn't wait for it to arrive and now that its here it will be my go-to CD to get me through the rest of this long cold winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Music for a Wonderful Show., February 18, 2012
This review is from: Downton Abbey (MP3 Music)
I stumbled upon Downton Abbey when I got my Kindle Fire for Christmas (It is part of the free Streaming for Prime Members)...I was hooked after 10 minutes with this show. This MP3 album is wonderful cuts of Music from this show..and I can't say I love it enough. Enjoy :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Melody, August 3, 2012
My husband had read a article about the Downton Abbey CD and how popular it had became since the series started. We love watching Downton Abbey and enjoy all types of music. This CD was disappointing, basically two songs just different versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST AS GREAT AS THE SHOW, May 17, 2012
This review is from: Downton Abbey (MP3 Music)
This is one of the most beautiful scores ever written for a television series. There are many variations on the main theme, and two singing solos that are very well done and in a way, haunting. Very calming music after a very stressful day. Highly recommended, especially if you love the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars relaxing and soothing...., May 5, 2012
JoJo (Central Kentucky) - See all my reviews
Beautiful,relaxing,soothing, any more adjectives to describe this CD and I'd use them too!!! I'm counting the days until the next season airs......

Rate and Discover Movies