Downton Abbey Season 3 Christmas Special

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2012 9:54:03 AM PST
Judy Coffman says:
I live in the U.S. and have preordered Season 3 through Amazon. I also purchased Season 1 & Season 2 through Amazon. Season 2 included the Christmas Special. Can anyone tell me if the Christmas Special for Season 3 is included on set that Amazon provides?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 9:19:19 PM PST
Liz Strand says:
Hi Judy, I don't believe it does. I have been looking for season 3 with the Christmas special 2012 but no luck. It seems they sell the season 3 then they sell the Christmas Special 2012 as a stand alone Dvd. I have even checked the Uk site and it's the same as a stand alone. Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:15:56 PM PST
Judy Coffman says:
I think that the Public Broadcasting Station (PBS) in the US, which is the TV Channel that broadcasts Downton Abbey in the United States, provides Downton Abbey Season 3 with the Christmas episode. Thank you for your time and assistance. Judy.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 11:40:53 AM PST
Mark Edson says:
One thing about the Downton Abbey dvd's. I wouldn't bother spending extra cash for blu-ray. I rented Season 2 on dvd. The video store did not carry the Blu-ray edition, but the quality was magnificent! Who needs blu-ray with this kind of dvd quality?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:57:07 PM PST
Liz Strand says:
Yes, you are so right Mark. I saw an interview with the writer and he was commenting on the fact that they film in HD. They want viewers to really appreciate every detail. I"m one that can totally appreciate the beauty. Well on another note, super excited for tonight! 2hr season 3 premiere!!! :-)))

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:58:13 PM PST
Liz Strand says:
Thanks Judy for the info.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:18:39 AM PST
prissy says:
I have Season I and II. I will order Season III but I would like someone, anyone, to please tell me about the Christmas Special. From what I've read on the posts at various sites, the family goes to Doneagle to spend Christmas and several things happen there. Is this "Christmas Special" going to be included in the Season III DVD and is it being shown on PBS in the United States in one of the episodes. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 3:09:56 PM PST
Judy Coffman says:
If you order the Season 3 DVD from Amazon, you will NOT get the Christmas Special, which is actually episode 9, and is the final episode of Season 3. However, the Season 3 DVD sold on the PBS website include all 9 episodes, (including the "Christmas Special, also known as episode 9).

I assume that the final episodes for both season 2 & 3 are called the "Christmas Special" because unlike the other episodes, it takes place during Christmas season.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 6:16:18 AM PST
prissy says:
Thank you so much for the information. Fortunately for me I did order through PBS so I assume I will get the so called "Christmas Special". Thank you again. I don't know if you've seen it or not but I heard on the radio that the ending is "explosion" and "you'll never see it coming!" Can't wait. Kindest regards. An Avid Fan

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 8:03:14 PM PST
Sometimes PBS versions of British TV series are re-edited for release in the US. Anyone know if the addition of the 9th episode, the Christmas special, in the PBS shipped version the only difference between the PBS shipped version of season 3 and the Amazon shipped UK version of season 3 ? TIA.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:36:10 PM PST
What evidence have you seen to suggest the Christmas Special won't be included? This is the exact same version the PBS site is selling-the Original U.K. edition. It even says PBS across the top of the DVD package. I purchased season 2 through Amazon (the Original U.K. edition) and the Christmas special is included.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 8:07:56 PM PST
Judy Coffman says:
Because I talked in person to an Amazon sales representative. I started out talking to someone online to confirm one way or the other if the final episode of Season 3 would be included. She couldn't confirm, so she checked it out & got back with me. That was when sales representative told me that the Season 3 I ordered did not have the Christmas episode. In addition, there were comments below the item I was buying that said it was not included. I haven't been back on the Amazon site to order anything since then so perhaps Amazon has now changed their products.... I don't know. But I do know that the original version Amazon was offering did not include the Christmas episode. And to be honest with you, I don't even care anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:10:21 AM PST
prissy says:
Judy, don't let the conversation get your down. What would the Dowager say? PBS's version includes episode 9 which is the "Christmas Special" so known because it was shown at Christmas in England. Looking forward to tonight's episode 2. I've already ordered Season III through PBS so I should get it fairly soon. Kindest regards. Prissy

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 8:37:07 PM PST
Judy Coffman says:
Prissy,
What a sweet thing to say, although we don't even know each other. I do appreciate your uplifting attitude.... it brought a smile to my face, and made me feel good. God bless you. Kindest regards... Judy

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:46:51 AM PST
prissy says:
I'm glad that such a little remark could brighten your day. Did you see last night's episode? I felt so sorry
for Edith. I think she and Sir Anthony would be a fantastic fit together. I don't see why the Dowager
and Robert are so against him. I like him. He's very sweet. Hope your day is a little brighter. God bless
you also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:25:47 PM PST
Judy Coffman says:
Prissy, Yes I saw the episode. I feel so sorry for Edith. I didn't like her at first, but she has grown on me. Plus, I think she has changed. I understand why the story line is what it is, but I do wish Edith would find someone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:36:55 PM PST
prissy says:
Judy,
I believe your wish will come true but whether it is good for Edith
will have to be your decision. I don't know how much you know
but she will find someone. That's all I'm saying. Kindest regards,

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:37:27 PM PST
Firefly says:
The description states the "Christmas Special" (A Journey to the Highlands) is included in this DVD

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 3:56:56 PM PST
Carol says:
Yes, I saw that also, so I gather it is included on the DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 8:44:50 AM PST
Jean Koepsel says:
Christopher, you are Right, the Christmas Specail is included in the PBS version, also sold on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 10:35:13 AM PST
Snooks says:
They had a Christmas Special I thought at the end of Season 2? Is this not the same as you all are speaking about?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 10:36:35 AM PST
Snooks says:
That is what I mentioned just a minute ago. I did watch it at end of Season 2, Disk 3. I thought it might be the same. Glad someone cleared this up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 12:39:05 PM PST
prissy says:
NO Snooks! That is not the Christmas Special of which I am speaking.
The CS was shown on Christmas Day in Britain and coincides with the
Christmas with the Crawleys at Doneagle Castle in the Highlands which
is on the PBS CD sold here in the States. It has 9 complete episodes
unlike the Amazon CD which has 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 5:42:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2013 5:43:41 PM PST
Snooks says:
Well I am glad to hear this because mine is coming from Amazon. I just ordered it. I was glad Prissy cleared it up that. I understood from person that I ordered from that all is included. I sure hope so because that is why I bought it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 7:52:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 7:53:31 PM PST
@Judy

According to the Special Features listed here on Amazon it's supposed to.

Here's what it says:

Special Features
Includes A Journey to the Highlands, the Season 3 finale!

PLUS, OVER TWO HOURS OF BONUS VIDEO
- Downton Abbey Behind the Drama
- Shirley MacLaine at Downton
- The Men of Downton
- Downton in 1920
- Season 3 Christmas Special bonus episode "A Journey to the Highlands"
- and much more!

This DVD features subtitles in English (SDH).

Link for DVD: Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey, Season 3
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey, Season 3
Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey, Season 3 by Maggie Smith (DVD - 2013)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (20,161)