Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 11, 2012
I started watching Downton Abbey on a whim, mainly because my mother-in-law and wife had become obsessed with it. Naturally, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Suffice to say I watched the entire first series in one sitting and was craving more.

The story focuses in the Downton Abbey, a lavish and beautiful estate owned by the Crawley family, its inhabitants, and their servants. I could write an entire raving review about the ensemble cast but that would take too much space and time so I'll say this instead; the cast is quite large but each member plays their part perfectly. I've seen a few British dramas but have never been enthralled with a show like this before, thanks mainly to the terrific job done by the actors.

There really isn't anything about this show that misses the mark; the acting (as mentioned), the sets, the cinematography, the historical references, the costumes...it's all there and it's all great. This set comes with the first and second series, as well as some very informative featurettes.

I haven't met anyone that's watched the show and didn't enjoy it. I've known quite a few people that were hesitant about watching it, mainly because they thought it would be boring or slow. Their minds were quickly changed upon giving it a chance. It's to those people that I would recommend this show; give Downton a shot a prepare to be amazed by how much you enjoy it.
on November 27, 2012
Lovely series. Quite addictive. Quality production, quality dialogues and relatable as to life process, relationships, people's life journeys and the lessons learnt. Not much more to say except if you have not seen them, please get them. You will not regret it.
on April 18, 2015
This is one of the best Christmas albums I have ever owned. I love the mix of actors from the show singing - Julian Ovenden is great - and the Choir of King's College on the bigger carols. I have listened to these songs probably 100 times since it arrived. I got one for a friend and he, too, loves it. I may be re-ordering soon.
on February 24, 2013
Loved, loved, loved Downton Abbey! As a longtime Anglophile, I was anxious to watch this, especially after reading so many great recommendations about it. I did, however, check around everywhere I could think of to find the best available copies. I had seen too many reviews about deleted scenes, the missing Christmas episode, and copies that still contained original commercials!(Incidentally, I've never understood why sellers or whoever would ever delete anything on dvds to be sold, except for commercials, of course. Naturally, I understand why tv would do this when it comes to fitting a movie/documentary, etc. into a 2 hour time frame, for example.) It was a happy day for me when I saw this version on Amazon.Thank goodness! It was just what I wanted: closed captioning, no deleted scenes, no commercials, and the infamous Christmas episode was included! Furthermore, many extra "behind the scenes" parts were also included. If you're interested in the best version available, this one is a & "must have"! I, like so many others, couldn't stop watching! Very compelling with amazing characters (Don't even get me started on Maggie Smith), unmatched & beautiful scenery & sets, and a story with plenty of fascinating plot developments. Never a dull moment. Looking SO forward to the third season!!! Give yourself a treat and enjoy a wonderful adaptation of a great story.
on January 15, 2015
Took me a while to get to watching this series. Seasons one and two are superior to three and four, at least for me. A slice of life that was changing so fast. I am not a big fan of the whole royal family thing, but this is the end of an era for sure. The British cast is great and it is too deep and complicated (I think) for an American producer to even try.
on February 10, 2013
Had never heard of this series until seeing the story of Highclere Castle presented on CBS' Sunday Morning. I headed straight to the computer, watched the first episode and was hooked. Ordered Seasons One and Two and have enjoyed one of the best series I've seen since Lonesome Dove.

My family LOVES visiting the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina and the very first scenes of Downton Abbey remind me of how life must have been lived in the USA's largest home. The early rising staff are busy as bees throwing open shutters to let in the morning light, lighting new fires in the fireplaces and straightening the large rooms from the use of the previous night. Each person is weaving in and out among the others in a fast clipped pace to ready the rooms before the family members rise from their beds. I have envisioned such scenes when visiting Biltmore and Downton Abbey brought them to life right before my eyes.

The quality of my dvd set is excellent. I've read some reviews from dissatisfied customers but my set is of excellent quality. I'm already sharing it with extended family members and they are giving it an A+ rating, too!
on July 8, 2014
We came to the Downton Abbey series late and wanted to find out what happened from the beginning. We also like to review the previous seasons before the new one starts so we're right up to speed on the story line. It doesn't matter that we've seen it all before because the sets, the clothing and the overall ambiance of that period of English history is so exquisitely done, we truly feel transported back to that time. I have a wonderful collection of classics that I pull out every few years to enjoy again like The Godfather, The Thornbirds, Winds of War, and the like. This series will definitely join them among my favorite classics.
on May 21, 2013
I was recovering from surgery and in pain. These DVDs kept me interested and did not feel the pain as much. A great series, I could not turn the DVD off. I watched season 1, 2 and 3 almost without stopping. I am ready for season 4.
on April 2, 2013
I was having foot surgery and decided to buy this DVD to watch during my recovery. Once I put in the first DVD, it became a Downton Abbey marathon. I couldn't wait for the next installment. This was an amazing production and although rather expensive, well worth the price.
on June 3, 2014
I didn't watch season 1 of Downton Abbey on PBS, until my two good elderly British friends kept talking & raving about it. When I bought my first Kindle Fire, I watched season 1 on it & immediately knew why my British friends loved it so much! By the time I saw season 1 on my Kindle Fire, season 2 was about to start on PBS, so I watched it faithfully. As soon as this double DVD set became available on Amazon, I added it to my DVD collection. I'm addicted to it, as so many are!