Other Sellers on Amazon
Downton Abbey Seasons 1 & 2 Limited Edition Set - Original UK Version Set [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
The original and unedited UK version of Seasons 1 and 2 of the hit show Downton Abbey in one limited-edition boxed set.Welcome to Downton Abbey, the splendid ancestral home of the Earl and Countess of Grantham (Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern) and their daughters, who live there under the watchful eye of the Dowager Countess (Dame Maggie Smith). The household is a complicated community, with the servants below stairs as fiercely jealous of their ranks as anyone above. From the sinking of the Titanic to the First World War, the secure and ordered world of Downton is rocked as the lives of the inhabitants are shaped by romance, ambition, and heartbreak.
Enjoy this collection of both seasons of the Golden Globe® and multi-Emmy Award®-winning, Guinness World RecordTM-holding (highest critical review rating for a TV show), most talked-about program in recent memory, including the special Christmas episode.
This Blu-ray set features subtitles in English (SDH).
This boxed set is rich with extras. Fans will be captivated by the making-of featurette showing the details as originally envisioned by series creator Julian Fellowes (writer of Gosford Park and the TV series Titanic). Another feature examines the incredible attention to period authenticity paid to costumes, dialogue, and décor. Another short feature examines the many love stories unfolding--and given urgency--with World War I as the backdrop. And the transformation of the stately home into a humming wartime hospital is also fascinating. All in all, there are more than 15 hours of immersive entertainment in this five-disc set--best put on another pot of tea before you settle in. --A.T. Hurley
- “Making of Downton Abbey - A House in History”
- “Great British Heritage Pass, a promotional spot for British tourism.”
Season 2 Bonus Features:
- Downton Abbey Christmas Special (full episode)
- “Fashion and Uniforms”
- “Romance in a Time of War”
- “House to Hospital”
This DVD set features subtitles in English (SDH).
Top Customer Reviews
Robert Crawley (Hugh Bonneville) is the man behind the estate, but it is Mr. Carson (Jim Carter), the butler, who keeps the house and social lives moving. There are 12 cast members that have a role in EVERY episode. Many more who miss just one or two. You fall in love with each in their own way, each a vital role in the make-up of this large family and servants. Not an issues is untouched, since every episode blends threads of intrigue, love, and history.
The home, the countryside scenes, even WWI segments, the costumes, the sets, the music, the props, the...well, it's easier to say there is nothing about this series my wife and I have been even remotely disappointed with. If you don't own the original released DVDs this is a must buy. And with the rest of the world, you will then be awaiting season three, knowing it will be SIX-star worthy as well. Created and written by Julian Fellowes who last acted in Monarch of the Glen (another keeper). He and his daughter combined in a book, also a must own for Downton Abbey fans.
I give this UK DVD series a 6-star super recommendation.
This is my favorite type of series because though it is mindful of the history its characters are living through, all of the main characters are fictional - so there's no specific history to get upset modern screenwriters fail to take into account. Here were some striking things to me...
1) As tragic as we still feel the sinking of the Titanic was, the series gives one a bit of a glimpse of how overwhelming it was to people of certain social classes at the time. Losing so many heirs, friends, other family members, people they grew up with - all at once like that.
2) the series takes on a very interesting period which is not covered very often (on the Royal level, Fall of Eagles is awesome telling the big story) where the world did in fact change. The whole of society was being uprooted as the 'modern world' emerged. Those who can't wait for the change interacting with those who want things to stay exactly the way they have always been - tons of opportunity for dramatic interactions.
3) One of the easy-to-miss side stories is of Cora and her money. There were tons of American heiresses who married titles in England during this time frame - Consuelo Vanderbilt and Jennie Jerome (both, incidentally, married into the same family - the one that produced Winston Churchill). Lots of these relationships were miserable.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is the very best mini series in a very long time. I never watched when it was on TV so I'm very pleased that I got it.Published 1 month ago by Jane H. Glascott
I bought these sets (Downton Abbey Season 1 and 2) from this company several years ago, and just recently opened them to watch as the series ended. Read morePublished 2 months ago by W.S.T.