5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Treasure for the D.A. Addict
Published 20 months ago by Alyssia Kirkhart

3.0 out of 5 stars Why are the Vocals Done in Such a Modern Style?
Published 18 months ago by Jazzbaby

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Treasure for the D.A. Addict, November 21, 2012
This review is from: Downton Abbey - The Essential Collection (MP3 Music)
As someone who not only thinks Downton Abbey is one of the best television dramas ever, but also owns the soundtrack, the book, blurays and, well, just about everything else you can imagine, I was very pleased to see this compilation of music from the show. Yes, it's mostly the same music from the original soundtrack, but it also features the highly talented vocal stylings of Mary-Jess, Rebecca Ferguson, and the gorgeous, haunting magic that is Scala & Kolacny Brothers. Seriously, if you don't own a S&KB album, do yourself a favor and add One Winged Angel to your shopping cart. As for this Essential Collection, it's an awesome bang for your buck and will doubtless take you back to every beautiful moment between Matthew & Mary, Sybil & Tom, and all the magical moments between the upstairs and below stairs of the marvelous Downton Abbey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why are the Vocals Done in Such a Modern Style?, January 26, 2013
I didn't buy this cd, I only listened to the clips. While I love John Lunn's music for the show, I was very disenchanted to hear the 21st century style vocals, which are very anachronistic for this 1920's era show. What a shame! It could have been so much better. I did purchase the first collection of music, and would give that one four stars. All of the instrumentals are wonderful, as are Alfie Boe's selections, especially "Roses of Picardy". I didn't much care for Mary-Jess's voice and rendition. But the first cd is much better than the second! For those traditionalists, I can't recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars What am I to do this Sunday evening?, February 23, 2013
PhiloX "PhiloX" (Southern California United States) - See all my reviews
Yes I admit it. There are a few Fiction things I either read or watch & Downton Abbey on PBS Masterpiece Theater is one of them. I love the music & as I collect Movie Theme movie, this is but one step away. Some reviews state that the opening music is not what is on TV, but I disagree. The CD contains the complete form as a suite rather than a 30 second to a minute opening credit. Most of what you expect is here with a few add ons which I don't care for which is why I gave a rating of "4". There is another review which explains it rather well: some of the music sounds out of date. I think that the piece "Did I Make The Most Of Loving You" with the singer Mary-Jess has rather simplistic words & she sings with a strange fare or tone. The other piece "I'll Count The Days" with the singer Rebecca Ferguson has the same problem, she sings out of tune or style for the 1920's. These songs should have a megaphone sound with a certain vibrato for this time period, or somehow singers in the 1920's didn't have a certain originality about them while these 2 singers do. One modern piece that I do like is the choral arrangement of U2's "With or Without You" which brings out the words that are normally lost within a Rock song. The words take on a whole other meaning within reference to Downton Abbey. Therefore don't expect to hear 30 second to a minute themes but hear the pieces in their complete form & enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely worth it!, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Downton Abbey - The Essential Collection (MP3 Music)
Love listening to this! Especially in the evening while I read. What a great purchase! Makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a Jane Austen novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and Evocative of Great Series, Emmy Winning Score, March 9, 2013
The lush, lovely, romantic music from the brilliant British TV series composed by John Lunn, brings back wonderful memories of several highlights of episode events. The main theme is gorgeous with an additional vocal version included that is memorable. Also included, and though completely unecessary and never heard on the series, are three choir versions of pop songs, notably U2s With or Without You, and Every Breath You Take, and I'll Count The Days. Interesting versions but totally not needed, but not a disaster either. I would have preferred more instrumentals from the series instead, but a small caveat in an otherwise equisite recording, particulalry if you are a DT fan.

And congratulations to John Lunn for winning an Emmy for the score!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have BOTH! : ), April 7, 2014
In looking at the songs listed on both this CD (The Essential Collection) and the Original, I felt there was enough overlap that I did not need to buy both of them. So I decided to just get the Original. But then I fell in love so much with the album that I decided to get both of them. I just love this music and if you are a fan of the show, which you must be if you’re reading this, then I’m sure you will love it too. And though the ‘Original’ CD is superb, I do have a minor criticism of this CD (the ‘Essential’), which is the inclusion of three particular songs (i.e. Track #10, #19, and #23.) These three songs are nice in their own right, however, as part of the compilation, they just don’t quite fit the genre or style of the rest of the CD. The first time I heard track #10 (“I’ll count the Days”)it totally removed me from the state-of-mind I was in. The same can be said for the other two tracks #19 (“With or Without You” and #23 (“Every Breath you Take”) Eventually they do grow on you, but if I could have it my way I would never have included them on the CD. That said, I would still highly recommend this CD and despite my reservations I do really enjoy the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must for all Downton Abbey Fans!, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Downton Abbey - The Essential Collection (MP3 Music)
For all Downton Abbey fans, listening to this music will put you right back "into the moment" of DA eposides. It's easy listening provides the perfect backdrop to anything else that you're doing on your Kindle Fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Downton Abbey Fans, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Downton Abbey - The Essential Collection (MP3 Music)
This is a must have for Downton Abbey fans! It's also very mellow music--really nice listening when you relax with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey-The Essential Collection, December 29, 2012
Beautiful music-not disappointed at all. Highly recommend it. Sit back with glass of "vino" (or hot mug of tea/coffee) and unstress

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the show, love the music!, December 18, 2012
HardyBoy64 "RLC" (Rexburg, ID United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Downton Abbey - The Essential Collection (MP3 Music)
The Downton Abbey theme is both lovely and fervent. I was pleased with the other tracks that play on the theme in different orchestral arrangements which thankfully remain interesting and unique. This is just beautiful music and if you love the show, you will be able to relive it while listening to this music. I especially loved the 2 rock songs (U2 and the POlice) sung by a children's choir. I was surprised and pleased with these musical numbers. I play this CD a lot while reading or relaxing. This is, indeed, one of my favorite new music purchases as of late. Highly recommended!

Rate and Discover Movies