Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

VINE VOICEon January 17, 2013
Spoiler Alert! This booklet will fill you in on what happens in Season Three. It is basically the "Cliffs Notes" for the season which has already aired in England. Because I had seen seasons one and two on DVD, I just could not wait to find out what happens in season three to the characters in my favorite TV show. The booklet gives you the highlights but by no means provides all the highlights and subtleties that watching the show does. Basically, you know who lives and who dies and who does or does not get married but that is about all. I have now seen two shows of Season Three and can attest that there is much more to know (and enjoy) in the show than what is in this booklet.

One of the most valuable part of the booklet is the character sketches on each character that is provided after the summary of season three. The character info is actually longer than the season summary and I found it quite interesting and insightful and well worth reading.

Now that Season Three is available on DVD I suspect that I will buy that since I just can't wait to see all the wonderful details of what happens at Downton Abbey. For me knowing the outcome does not at all change the enjoyment of each episode and I even find it worth viewing more than once -- a notable exception to my viewing habits.
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2013
Fortunately, I preordered Season Three on DVD, so I do know how Season Three ends. However, this book falls one chapter short, and fails to summarize this season's ending, which is a real shocker! Whether intentional or not, I was very disappointed and would not have purchased this "Unofficial Guide" if I had know it was not complete.
on December 23, 2012
Good summary of each season and a good way to recall characters in detail. IT HAS SPOILERS FOR SEASON THREE. BE CAREFUL UNLESS YOU LIKE THAT!
on February 3, 2013
I love Downton Abbey and being the curious sort needed to know what will go on in Season 3. This was a great find for just that reason
on March 4, 2013
In retrospect..the story was too much like a soap opera. I will admit as the story unfolded I looked forward to the next episode, the last episode was not up to the others... It also appeared the dialogue was tiresome. my suggestion...rewrite the last episode. overall I enjoyed all but the last go round. thank you for letting me vent.
Wanda Shepherd
on March 28, 2013
As a "newbie" to the Downton Abbey series, I had a lot of catching up to do. These Unofficial Guides to the seasons provided me with the information I needed to understand and know the people in the series. Would recommend to everyone, if y ou are new, to read these and get a better understanding.....
on July 12, 2013
I was a little disappointed in the book. It takes each character and writes a sentence or two about each one. I was looking for something a little "meatier."

It does help you figure out who each person is and how they are related to other characters.
on June 2, 2013
The book is a nice summary of the season three episodes. They are condensed and very accurate reviews of each episode. I would recommend not reading the book before viewing each episode if you don't want to spoil the suspense.
on March 28, 2013
A quick and dirty read to catch the viewer up on the episodes, but also helps clarify things missed in the watching of the series. It's the Cliff Notes or Sparks notes version of the usual classics.
on February 10, 2013
I had missed some of the episodes, and this was a big help. Also I knew what was going to happen. I stopped in Series 3....because I didn't want to know ahead of what was coming.