5.0 out of 5 stars Saving a trip to the store

1.0 out of 5 stars New Smell is HORRIBLE
Published on January 10, 2011 by Josh Carter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars New Smell is HORRIBLE, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Downy April Fresh Liquid Fabric Softner, 51 Ounce Plastic Bottle (Pack of 2) [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging] (Health and Beauty)
The new smell of Downy April Fresh with Scented Pearls is NOT the original Downy we all know and love. P&G has changed the scent, and the new smell is hard to describe. It's overly floral, sickly sweet. It's literally nauseating to me. When we used it, I couldn't be in the laundry room. Now I've got two bottles of a disgusting product I don't know what to do with. I'll probably dump it.

I've been using the same fabric softener for 20 years. Now, I'm going to have to find another one. This is really dissapointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars SEPTIC FAILURE, December 14, 2012
I have used Downey since 1983 in my present home with an inground septic system (w/drainfield). I grew up with it in several homes - all with inground septic fields. Never a problem. Downey always said they were septic safe. We had to have our system redone a few years back due to renovations on our house requiring relocation of tank. It failed after 4 years. Couldn't figure out why as we did nothing different. While trying to fix this field this year, we ran our washer discharge directly outside. There was always a thick dark coating noted after washing. What was this?? Looked like the build-up on our softener dispenser in machine. It also looked exactly like what was coating our field with a couple inches of gunk, which the septic folks were calling a possible biomass! But everyone was truly stumped. Now it all makes sense. After going directly to Downey site I see hundreds of complaints about new formula, with many about the gunk build up. Did you really have to change things so drastically? Did you realize the consequences to so many? Also the smell is nothing like what I and my children grew up with, but I tolerated it, never realizing that such a huge change had happened to my favorite washer product. I should have guessed that the change was more than just the smell. This is my warning to all with septic systems - don't use this. You will regret it. $25,000 for first system. $2,400 into this system to try to fix but looks more than likely replacement next year at another $25,000. REALLY???? Thanks a lot!! I plan to post this wherever I see reviews on this product. I am truly sorry to have to stop using it - I hate dryer sheets. But on the other hand, it wasn't the same smell so I guess no great loss. I am also sorry about the need to let others know as well, but warnings need to be made to save others this ghastly expense. Bev in MA

1.0 out of 5 stars New Downy Smell Stinks!!, July 19, 2011
I can't believe they changed the fragrance of the Downy. The new Downy smells like cheap perfume. I almost choked when I opened the bottle and used it. I had to re-wash my clothes without fabric softener because I couldn't tolerate the smell. It made me sneeze, gave me a sore throat. If you have allergies DO NOT USE this product. Sad that they had to change a good thing. I sent a email to them and they just told me to use less or pick a different fragrance. All the other fragrance are no better. Unfortunately they lost a very long time customer. :-( Very sad..

1.0 out of 5 stars bad move by p&g, April 22, 2011
Elle Shopper (Florida Panhandle) - See all my reviews
This new, lasting scent is truly awful, for those of us enamored with the original downy scent. It smells like overly sweet bubblegum of some sort - I tried adding a more citrusy smell with some of my natural fragrance oils, but that only made matters worse. When I complained via their web site they were very nice, sent me a coupon for a free bottle of whatever scent and size bottle I wanted to compensate me. I got the unscented and mixed my own scent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Secret shelf life, July 18, 2012
Downy liquid softeners have a shelf life yet this date is not clear on the bottle nor is the company about to change that. Since it's not a food product, they don't have to. If you keep it too long, it separates & gets very lumpy & useless. I have had that happen with many bottles I have bought in the past. The company did send me coupons for replacement but didn't say boo about the shelf life. I am told the date is in the code on the bottle cap which is difficult to decipher. I will be switching brands altho I expect the others are the same. So don't buy more than you can use within 6 mos.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuck!, February 1, 2011
This stuff makes my basement reek horribly where I do my laundry. And my husband who is very sensitive to smells went bat crazy over how terrible it smelled. He couldn't even stand down there and play his guitars. Guess off to find something that isn't so offensive.

1.0 out of 5 stars April Fresh Scent has been ruined by P & G. Horrible now!, November 19, 2012
April Fresh Downy liquid had been used by my Grandma, my Mom and by me as an adult for a combined 40 years! The Original April Fresh Downy was soft, light, slightly powdery and so comforting! I do not understand the P & G company, for deceptively changing a classic Icon! The "new" and current April Fresh is sickly sweet, cloying, heavy and it makes clothes smell like cheap candy mixed with dime store perfume! It is awful. Also, it is thicker and leaves a lot of residue in the machine's fabric softener tray. My clothes, towels and sheets have not smelled they way I have wanted them for a long time...Thanks to P & G company ruining a wonderful product. I wonder if P & G maybe lost the rights to the original April Fresh scent (it was created by a famed perfumer in the 1960's). Even the official Downy website has 1000's of negative reviews. So sad!

1.0 out of 5 stars "Ultra Downy,Indeed"!, February 13, 2011
I purchased this item 2 resolve the foreign dye odor issues that plagues my darken clothes.Though this product resolved those issues,it however created a new one,it smells uber loud,itself!So if your not oppposed 2 offending the general public,disregard buying this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving a trip to the store, January 23, 2011
I love when I can get things cheaper on Amazon than I can at the store, and still have it delivered to my front door! This is one of those products. If you go by ounces, this 2-pack has the same ounces as the big bottle at the most famous big-box store (starts with W). The difference? About a dollar cheaper using Amazon subscription, and it saves me serious drive time not having to go to said store (45 mins away from here -- oh yeah, it's that rural). Don't compare bottles.. compare by ounces, since bottles are all different.
This product was indeed the same as the ones you get at the store, smells great. As for frustration free packaging? Yeah, it was.. just packaged inside a larger box. Cracks me up that they do that sometimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great subscription service!, November 7, 2010
I hate lugging large bottles of detergent and softener from the grocery store. Amazon's subscription service is fantastic - especially for those with Prime accounts. The Downy is exactly what you buy in the store, for a comparable price. It's delivered right to my door, and the packaging truly is "frustration free." The box opened easily and the bottles lifted right out. Plus, it's nice that I can determine a different schedule for my softener - which goes faster than my detergent, Era 2x Ultra 96 loads, 150.0-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›