Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 4, 1999
I borrowed a copy of this cookbook from a friend. My husband and I had already been on the Atkin's diet for a month and I was thrilled with the amount of weight and, more importantly, inches we had lost, but was getting a little tired of eating the same foods again and again. Over a weekend, I tried a lot of the recipes in the cookbook while we were at our cabin. My cooking utensils and ingredients were slightly limited there in the Northwoods, but I made some slight variations (i.e. substitute a little onion for scallions, skip the white wine, etc.) and we proceeded to eat like pigs while sticking to the diet. After reading through the recipes and learning substitutes for high-carbohydrate ingredients, I can adjust recipes in my regular cookbooks with the same satisfying results. We have actually been eating better tasting meals than before the diet because I enjoy the challenge of cooking rich meals while maintaining our weight loss. The best part of the cookbook for me was the desserts. I rarely cooked desserts before going on the Atkin's diet because they are so fattening. I made a few small adjustments to the cheesecake recipe and came up with the best darned cheesecake I have ever eaten. Even had it for breakfast to feel truly decadent. Another happy surprise was that unsweetened chocolate is not that high in carbohydrates. The only disappointing recipes I tried were those that contain soy flour. Soy flour, not surprisingly, tastes like soy beans and does not want to mix into liquids. The book also mentions tofu flour which is not readily available at grocery stores and probably tastes like beans. As the recipes call for so little flour of any kind and we are now in the maintenance sequence of the diet, I think a little "cheating" is in order. Try the recipes in the book, then get creative!
0Comment|199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 1999
The receipes in this cookbook are good ... but they duplicate the recipe section in his book, Dr. Arkins' New Diet Revolution. I was surprised not to see new recipes, and disappointed to see that he had re-vamped some of the recipes (from the book) to require we buy HIS products, as ingredients. Not to be ignored, however.
0Comment|171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2001
My wife and I have used the Atkins Plan. I have lost 40 pounds, and she has lost 60 pounds (both in about 10 months). We looked at the original 'New Diet Revolution' book, and at this recipie book. We noticed that THIS book includes a section that describes the diet, so we bought THIS book over the other. This gave us BOTH the diet, and the cookbook simultaneously. It has been worth 100 times what it cost. I suggest that you can buy this book alone, and ignore the original. This diet is a lifestyle change--make sure you are willing to commit for at least two weeks to see impressive results. You wont be sorry. Best of luck to you all.
on March 14, 2000
For the cooking impaired, this is not the book for you. Although I am delighted with his Diet Revolution book, I am displeased with his cookbooks. They are anything but simple. I found some of the ingredients difficult to locate where I live. I had hoped for something simplier. Like many people today, I am incredibly busy with family and work. I don't have time to chase down ingredients and spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The cookbook is collecting dust on top of my refridgerator now.
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 1998
As one who has maintained a 60-pound weight loss for over four years and achieved optimum health thanks to Atkins diet, normally I'd expect to give ten stars to anything from Dr Atkins. Nontheless, unless one is a gourmet with a spice rack to rival that of Julia Child, most of the recipes are beyond one's reach: time consuming, intricate, and requiring much preparation time.
on June 1, 2004
It is astonishing to read the slam pieces here about Dr. Atkins so-called obesity and overweight condition at the time of his death. Here are the facts:
* He previously had a heart condition called cardiomyopathy -- a serious disease of the heart muscle which is unrelated to diet.
* He died of a head injury because of an accident falling on slippery ice and not of being overweight.
* His actual weight was 200 pounds when he was admitted to the hospital at the time of his accident. The erroneous reports of him weight 258 lbs was based on his weight at the time of his death. The extra weight was not fat, but an accumulation of body fluids linked to organ failure during his coma.
* His previous reported heart attack was due to a viral infection and not diet related. He spoke openly of his condition on various national news programs.
* The report that was released about him being overweight was leaked to the press by a group named "Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine", which is an ardent opponent of the Atkins diet. In short, they distorted his weight by reporting the weight at the time of death - 258 lbs, and not at the time of his admittance - 200 lbs...an obvious attempt to discredit and distort the facts surrounding Dr. Atkins death.
* A formal complaint has been filed by the Medical Examiner of New York regarding the suspicious leak of this information to the public by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine."
* The disinformation surrounding Dr.Atkins untimely death is politically driven by the AMA and other detractors of the diet.
Dr. Atkins book, New Diet Revolution has turned the AMA and other nutritional views upside down and has created a furor over the standard edicts of the medical profession. What is not said among the detractors of the Diet is that it is safe and it works. The information contained in this book will not only help you lose weight, it could save your life. The food industry, especially the bread and pasta industry have lost hundreds of millions of dollars because of the low carb revolution. Is it any wonder that this diet is under so much fire? Keep an open mind and read the book.
As a side note, ignor the mumbo-jumbo rantings and ravings of the "Elixir Diet" system. The hatred and mis-information spread by the reviewer is evidence enough that the Elixir system is phony as a three cent penny. Nuff said. The guy hasn't even read the Atkins book! Sheesh.
on September 5, 1998
This book offers hundreds of great cooking ideas. You don't have to be a cooking expert, but you do have to be willing to invest some time in yourself. Cooking low-carb isn't easy with the conventional mindset of that of the average person. Doctor Atkins offers many delicious recipees and some tips on how to keep the taste in while leaving the carbs out. I highly recommend this book, as well as Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (which is the only diet I've ever seen that works quickly, and offers easy maintenance). I encourage everyone (even those who are not overweight) to give this a whirl!
on October 27, 2004
1. To start with, I am a Cardiac Intensive Care Nurse and "binky"'s comments were absolutely right about Atkin's death.....and the explanation of the fluid gain

2. I have been diabetic over 20 yrs, much of that time on insulin. Some yrs ago, I noticed that if I had a meeting at work that required my attention, I would skip meals. I was sluggish, tired all the time, massive yeast infections, and so many other problems. I told my mother that I thought food was killing me....I felt so much better without food! But it was the sneaky lil carbs making me so sick!

How excited I was to discover Dr. Atkins! So now after 7 yrs on Atkins, I maintain my weight with 20 gms carbs or less a day and I no longer crave carbs. I quit buying big bags of potatoes and loaves of bread! His Revolution and this diet book helped the most. I have adapted some of the recipes in the book to suit my taste.

My doctor will tell me the usual AMA garbage about this diet and then compliments me on all the progress! Hmmmmm. In the hospital, an 1800 ADA diet includes 5 starches a day and small amt of protein! Yuck! Boy, you should have seen the hospital dietician when my doctor let me be on a modified Atkins while hospitalized!

Hope this helps ya'll out there!
on December 19, 2002
I highly recommend the Atkin's Diet! I have been on it for six months now and I am losing wieght, looking and feeling better than I have for many years. You only feel tired if you don't get enough fat in the diet. It took me a while to figure this out. However, the ingredients in his recipes are very hard to find. I have access to only a small health food store. If you don't have access to a very large, well-stocked health food store, you may have to order the ingredients online. I still salute Dr. Atkins and thank him for giving me my health back!
on May 12, 1997
If you are looking for a few new ideas on how to adapt the diet to your life, this book may help. If you are somewhat of a gourmet and love to sauce and flambe, you will enjoy many of the recipes. There are a few easy recipes including an entire section on ice creams, but most of them are quite complicated and time consuming. The recipes for breads are totally ludicrous. The recipe claims you can make 12 slices of bread out of 4 Tablespoons of dry ingredients and 4 eggs. No chance. Other than that, a worthwhile investment for those who really want to stick with the diet