Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dr. Bronner'S Organic Bar Soaps Pure Castile
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 3, 2011
It comes in funky orange packaging, has a strong medicinal smell, but man ..it's the best soap I've ever used!

Previous to switching to Dr. Bronner's, I was using some run of the mill Sam's Club body wash. I had problems with back acnie, oil buildup (especially around the nose) and fungus (itching).

I remember washing with it for the first time, not knowing what to expect (if anything). After rising off, I actually felt clean! Those oily areas were no longer oily. Drying off, my skin felt tighter and smoother. As time went on, I noticed that a certain area was a lot less itchy and irritated. My backnie problem went from multiple large sores to one small one at the moment. Same with the face zits are a lot less common and generally smaller. I also had a problem with facial hair becoming partially ingrown, resulting in either zits or inflammation. It was so bad that they would catch my electric razor and start bleeding every time I shaved. Today, I can usually shave without bleeding! I used to have bad chlorine itch after swimming. After washing off with this, I had no problems with chlorine itch.
There are things it's not good for, though. First, it'll strip every bit of oil and crud right out of your hair. Mine becomes a straw-textured, fluffy mess if I just use Bronner's. About once a week, I'll wash my hair with it, then use my normal shampoo/conditioner - this prevents product buildup. My hair feels softer and more manageable after doing this.

I would also advise against using it as a hand soap. After multiple uses per day, my hands started peeling because they got so dried out. Oh... and keep it away from the eyes. It really stings.

I ran out of this stuff over Christmas break and couldn't find it locally, so I switched back to the body wash. Sure enough, the backnie returned, along with the fungus and everything else.

What makes it so special anyway?
First, the formulation used is simply effective - no filler, no scents, just good soap. Second and most important is the Tea Tree Oil, which is a really good natural antiseptic. This explains its effectiveness with acne, fungus and the like. Secondly, it's very anti-inflammatory, hence the "skin tightening" effect.
33 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2009
My Grandmother loves this soap. It cleared up her psoriasis after about 2-months of using it.
on July 20, 2012
After learning about the toxic chemicals in so many beauty products, I was eager to try out the natural stuff. I purchased the tea tree bar due to tea tree's ability to speed the healing of cuts/bruises. I was wholly expecting a bar soap to leave my skin feeling tight and void of moisture, but this has actually treated my areas of dry skin! It smells invigorating in the shower and leaves your skin feeling tingly and cool. Works just fine on the face as well. This product is now a must for me, I highly recommend it.
on August 13, 2013
I have dreadlocks and bought this soap specifically for washing my hair. I wanted a soap that was much more natural without all those icky ingredients that was making my hair feel overly dry and stripped of its natural oils. I like that this soap gives a nice rich lather and my dreads don't feel dried out with that stripped of oils feeling. My dreads are left nice fluffy and soft.
on February 27, 2008
We are just making the move from Dove soap to castile soaps. Dr. Bronners tea tree is the first we've tried. I was concerned about lather especially because we have hard water, but it lathers really well. I was impressed at how clean my skin felt afterward. My children have really dry skin and though they still need lotion there is still a difference in the way there skin feels after a week. We seem to be using it a little faster than we use Dove (5 people @ 1 bath per day). We started a new bar after 6 days and at 3 bucks a pop it may get a little more expensive than we can do for the long haul.
on August 31, 2015
This is our go to soap when anyone in the house has skin issues. The Tea Tree added to a wonderful soap helps with a wide variety of skin issues, or if you just want healthy skin naturally. My son and I have allergies to most soaps because of the unnatural things they add. You'd be surprised to learn your soap could have toxic or carcinogenic additives to provide that scent. Thankfully there's none of that stuff in this soap and it even lathers up great without added sudsing agents.
on January 8, 2014
It an okay soap. I like the fact that it doesnt have sulfates in it. Normal soap was severely drying out my skin and inflaming patches of psoriasis on my arms and face. This stuff does make my skin not as dry and flaky but still rather dry, especially on my face. Course it is winter time and that could be playing into it, I will list an update as time goes by. So far its been two months that I have been using this. The psoriasis on my cheek has been inflamed though and I have had to rub lotion into my skin to calm it and the drying on my face (not a fan of lotions on my face for pores).
on August 14, 2013
I have very difficult skin, nearly unmanageable: dry, sensitive, and prone to body and face acne. Over the years, I've tried many different body washes and soaps: Philosophy body washes, Bliss, and Grandpa's are among some of the most recent. The only reason I stopped using Dr. Bronner's was that the GNC that sold it locally stopped carrying it (hence the switch to the Grandpa's line). Never again. It may cost me a little extra money, but I am not going back to any other soap. Within a week of going back to Dr. Bronner's, my body acne has calmed down to the point of nearly being gone, itching is gone, and my skin is always left calm and clean enough to not get irritated by moisturizers. I've even started using some in the shower on my face, and even though this is supposedly a big beauty 'no-no', my face is remarkably clear. All of the Dr. Bronner soaps are great, but the tea tree oil one specifically is my biggest beauty staple. Amazon's add-on program keeps it affordable enough, and I plan to buy it in bulk so that I don't run out. I gave up the synthetic-full junk soaps (Safeguard, etc) years ago after rash outbreaks, and Dr. Bronner soaps are definitely the best of the organic soaps. Tea tree oil has worked on my acne much better than salicylic acid, which only dried and irritates my skin. The only con I can think of is the tea tree oil smell: I like it, others might not. It's a small issue, in my opinion, because the scent does not linger or interfere with perfume sprays or oils. I highly, highly recommend at least giving these soaps a try, I would rate them ten stars if possible!
on April 7, 2014
Use this for cleansing my body, face and hair. Doesn't dry my skin out like other bar soaps. Using this as shampoo along with Dr. Bronners hair rinse as conditioner has been great for my hair. I was looking for a cleanser without nasty chemicals and I was prepared to have to spend a bunch of money to get it but this soap is very affordable, organic and fair trade... Threw out all my other body wash, bar soap and expensive shampoos and only use this soap now.
on August 1, 2013
I don't know that I'd buy this again. It's a nice bar of soap, but is six times the price of a bar of Dove soap. I don't know that it's six times better than Dove or other soaps I've tried. I will say that the tea tree soap suds up very nicely and leaves my skin soft. I've been using it from my neck down for about 3 weeks. I bought it because I have very itchy, peeling, burning feet (athletes foot) and also feel itchy all over sometimes. I hoped this would bring some relief. No such luck yet.

See 1 answered question