Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 29, 2012
With my first child, I used a Medela pump and thought nothing of it. I went back to work and pumped away, thinking that the squeezing feeling associated with pumping was just a part of the process. I had the chance to acquire THIS pump and have been nothing but pleased. The "squeezing" that I felt with the first pump is all but eliminated. The cups are really soft and feel great on the breast. The suction is not at all painful, which was a bit of a complaint with the first pump I used. This Dr. Brown's pump has such a soft pull on the breast that at times I didn't think it was working at all. I did have a bit of a problem getting the suction to function properly. I figured out that if I attached the hoses to the lid first and then snapped it on to the rest of the pump, I got a perfect seal and great suction. The best collection is achieved when I have the flow set on A and the speed on 1, however you can certainly speed up the process by upping the speed a bit. There are several pieces used to put the collection device together, but they are fairly self explanatory and easy to clean. I noticed other reviewers complaining of the noise. I would say that it is no louder than the other pump I had experience with. I think that noise is just a part of using a breast pump.

I had some serious issues with pain as I began breast feeding this child and I couldn't have gotten thru the first few weeks without this pump. I would recommend it to anyone.
on September 20, 2012
The pump could be great. The letdown feature is awesome and I never waited more than thirty seconds for one. The compression is where I had issues. It did not seem strong enough. I tried multiple settings but couldn't get adequate milk to come out. Customer service was AMAZING. They will work with you and take time to answer your questions and they truly want to help you succeed. In the end I had an issue with a pressure point and I was one of the few the pump did not work for. The refund process was very simple and, again, the customer service was superb. If a new model comes out, I will def buy it because the concept is fabulous. You feel no tugging like I do wit mother pump! A little improvement on suction and maybe size and portability and I will be a customer again. Also, just in case people don't know, insurance wil reimburse you starting in 2013 for a pump, but even now they are FSA eligible.
on February 28, 2013
I am an avid believer in the benefits and importance of breastfeeding, and I am exclusively breastfeeding my daughter to at least 6 months. The World Health Org recommends exclusively breastfeeding to 7 months to prevent anemia (though my doctor tried to convince me to start iron-fortified rice cereal at 4 months to prevent anemia, this is actually incorrect - the baby's "open" gastro-intestinal system cannot absorb solids at this age, and this can actually increase anemia). I went back to work when my baby was 3 months old and I'm pumping or hand expressing a minimum of 3 times a day, so it's very important for me to have a pump that I can rely on, and that won't make me sore.

After reading reviews on this pump, I knew this was the one for me. I used the Playtex Deluxe pump as well as a hospital grade Medela pump (the Lactina), pumping three times a day, and they were both very painful and damaging to my nipples. I would have to take days off from pumping and use hand expressing instead to get milk, just to give myself a chance to heal. The Simplisse pump is very different from these pumps. It uses a compression technique that mimics the way a baby breastfeeds, combined with minimal suction, to express milk. Having previously used other pumps that rely solely on suction to express milk, there is a transition to using this pump. At first, my body did not respond to the compression technique, and I had to use the strongest suction setting to get milk. However, after a few days, my body adjusted to the pump, and though it takes about 5 minutes longer than the Medela or Playtex pump, I can successfully pump 3 times a day without cringing from soreness or rawness! This is absolutely vital to the continued success of my breastfeeding, so I am very happy with this pump!

One thing to note: it is a louder pump than the other pumps - as the compression technique works, it makes clicking noises. However, with the door to my office closed, it is not loud enough to be heard outside the closed door. I don't consider this a show stopper. Some reviewers note that there are a lot of parts to put together, but this is the case for any breast pump system - there are a lot of small parts. If you plan on pumping, you learn to adapt to this inconvenience. I don't find the Simplisse pump any more difficult or cumbersome than the others. The pump instructions note that all parts should be washed except for the hoses, but the collection cap and sealing insert don't come in contact with milk, so they can be left assembled and don't need to be washed (at least not every time).

The customer service team is absolutely incredible! I called because I was having some trouble with one of the collection units - the suction wasn't as effective as the other side - and they are over-nighting an entirely new collection package to me, for both sides, not just the one, including hoses. This is at no cost to me! With customer service like this, it makes the product that much more valuable. The customer service rep also mentioned that they keep a lactation consultant on staff to help customers with pumping/ expressing issues. What great customer service!

It may help users to note that small neck bottles fit into the collection units. I use my Medela, Playtex (small neck only) and Dr. Brown's bottles with no trouble at all. The Simplisse bottles that come with the pump only have markers to 3 oz, but they hold 4 oz. However, I frequently am able to pump more than 4 oz per side, so I can't use the Simplisse bottles to pump into. But the caps fit any small neck bottle, including my Dr. Brown's, with no trouble, so I use them for that.

I would definitely recommend this pump, especially if you need to pump multiple times a day. The only suggestion that I would have to improve this pump is that the little valves that funnel milk into the bottle don't have a closing mechanism, so if you tipped the collection unit upside down with full bottles of milk, milk would flow up into the sealing insert. However, the sealing insert would prevent the flow of milk into the closed system hoses. It's not a problem, but it could be a minor improvement. All in all, definitely worth the money - I'm thrilled with this pump!
on October 15, 2014
I got this pump through insurance which voids their money back guarantee... Now I'm stuck with a worthless pump and no way to pump at work. I've called way too much and have been sent so many parts, but the simple fact is that this pump has a poor design and does not work consistently. I sit for hours taking it apart and putting back together. After many conversations with customer service and supervisors, they say there is nothing they can do since I got it through insurance. It's loud, has too many components and doesnt do what it's intended to do. Don't waste your time with this pump.
on February 6, 2015
This is a great pump. If you're used to using a hand pump or another brand electric pump you may have an adjustment period with using it be cause the suction is so gentle but I've had no issues since my initial week of use. The Dr. Brown company is also super helpful if you need to replace a part or just need customer service.
on September 24, 2014
I've first owned an ameda and it was fantastic, it broke down so we decided to try this one. Our ameda got way more milk; we used this for over 45 minutes and couldn't get the same amount of milk that we got from the ameda in 10 minutes, the suction was just too poor and there was no power. The machine is about 5x louder than ameda and medela and kept everyone up at night. I returned this within one day. It states that this system is new and different due to the soft cups, but the difference in amount of milk suctioned was huge. This machine gave us headaches even with just a few uses, this product is NOT recommended by far, I think they need to rework the system before putting it on the market.
on August 27, 2014
I really wanted to love this pump, but I can't. First off, customer service at Dr. Brown's is amazing so hats off to them for the wow service. Very quick to reply and didn't charge me for an extra collection kit.

Bad parts?
1. I went from a Lansinoh to this hoping the less tugging feature would help heal my sore nipples since I exclusively pump. Although the compression technology didn't make it hurt, I didn't express as much.
2. I would pump longer increments and get half the milk compared to my other pump. Two hours after pumping, my breasts were so full and engorged I felt I had to pump again where with my other one I could go 6-8 hours.
3. The motor on the Dr. Brown's pump is about the loudest thing ever. There is no way I could pump with my baby in the same room and even my two big dogs were scared of the noise.
4. Four ounce bottles are the biggest bottles they make for the pump. Although the company makes an 8 oz bottle, they don't suggest using it and they are so long they'd hit your legs anyway.
5. We use the bottles for feeding and if you do too, you know there are a lot of parts to clean. Same goes with the pump. I feel like one needs a class on how to assemble the thing to begin with but the parts are plentiful.

I will continue to use my Lansinoh pump and see about a refund on the Dr. Brown's. Not sure how that works with being a personal care product.
on December 22, 2014
My wife was so disappointed with this. She ended up buying another "mainstream" breast pump. She tried talking to customer service to make sure she was using this properly. But it would not extract her milk more than an ounce no matter what customer service suggested. They even sent her new cords and seals. Once she began using the other pump (Medela), she immediately extracted more milk. She did say it was comfortable and felt like a suckling baby. But she also said the other pump didn't hurt or pinch while pumping, like so many other reviewers stated. She did have a Lactation Consultant measure her to use the right size breast shield.
on June 24, 2013
I have come full circle with this pump. When I first started using this pump, I found it was much more comfortable than the one I had been using at the hospital. However, having flat nipples, it became increasingly difficult to pump. I assumed it was because of the type of pump, but now (11 months later) I know that pumping just takes some getting used to! I switched to a different pump (the Philips Avent Comfort Double Electric Pump) and used it for 10 months, not realizing that pain during pumping is actually NOT normal. The Avent was a great pump for most of the time I used it, but over time my nipples became traumatized from the hard suction and incorrectly sized breast cups. Pumping started out being awkward-feeling and uncomfortable, to being extremely painful. My nipples were constantly swollen and red, and super enlarged. Because of the pain, I really couldn't pump more than 2-3 ounces at a time (dropping down from 5-8 ounces at a time!), so in desperation I switched back to the Simplisse breast pump. At first, my nipples had become so engorged I had to use nipple cream to be able to comfortably use this Simplisse as there are no larger sized breast cups available, but over time the cream (which was olive oil-based) started to degrade the silicone parts. (Never use any oil-based lubricants on any silicone. It melts the silicone!)

The Simplisse was fantastic, much more comfortable than the Avent Comfort pump, but the nipple oil I had been using ruined the pump parts! I contacted the company directly to replace 2 parts, and they sent me an entire collection kit (everything but the pump) for free! I received the kit within 2 days, and I am so glad! By this time my nipples had returned to their normal size, so I was able to comfortably use the Simplisse without any nipple cream.

It has been a couple of weeks, and I am LOVING the Simplisse pump. I pump for less time, less often, and am pumping more milk than I ever did with the pinch-y Avent! The SImplisse pump has a different suction that more closely mimics a baby's suction, and offers flow and speed controls. It's a little louder than the Avent pump, but the silicone breastcups and gentle suction make this SO much more comfortable to use -- no pain! Just be sure to follow the directions EXACTLY when putting it together -- and in removing them! My husband accidentally snapped a piece off the top lid holding the valve because he didn't realize the trick to removing!

PROS: gentle suction makes this a more comfortable pump; fast let-down; different controls for speed and flow; easy to clean the parts (BUT be gentle with the white valves - dish brushes can scratch them!); pump a lot

CONS: a little loud; sensation takes some getting used to if you are accustomed to a hard suction pump; parts are a little tricky at first to put together (BUT once you know how it is easy!)
on June 5, 2014
I LOVE this pump! Yes, it is louder that most other pumps. But I will gladly trade a loud pump for the comfort! It is so comfortable and there is NO pain or tenderness after pumping. And even though the instructions warned me of an adjustment period for volume pumped, I had no problems or adjustment issues. The first time I used it I pumped 4+ oz off each side in about 5 minutes-which is a little more than what I had produced with the other pumps. I had pumped for my last two kiddos (one exclusive pumper and one half nurse/half pumped) with the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I liked that I had a great supply with it but pumping was always a bit of a chore and never completely comfortable. With our newest addition, she arrived early like her sisters and I needed to pump more than I really wanted. When my Medela pump died unexpectedly and the pump was over five years old, there was nothing Medela could do. I decided to take a chance on this pump partially because of the price (so much cheaper than replacing my Medela-my insurance will only cover a double electric if my kiddo is readmitted) and partially because I was really interested in this new style of pumping. I am so GLAD I did! I will be telling every new mom I know about this pump because it is awesome!