Dr. Brown's BPA Free Polypropylene Natural Flow Wide Neck Bottle, 8 Ounce, 3 Count
Size: 8Color: TranslucentChange
Price:$12.24 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 19, 2012
My baby likes these bottles. She almost never spits up, so Mommy likes these bottles too. There are a lot of parts, but I'll take the extra hassle with the dishwasher rack over cleaning up spit-up every feeding.

When I first started using these, they leaked constantly--I'd warm up the milk, tip them over to feed, tip them back upright, and when I went to tip the bottle back over to feed the baby, milk leaked out all around the white bottle collar, soaking the baby's chest and making a mess. What the heck? After talking with Dr. Brown's customer service line (great service, highly recommend) and a bunch of trial and error, we learned the technique to avoid leakage.

The thing that causes them to leak is any liquid or condensation inside that two-part valve assembly.

Key ways to avoid that:

1. Use only completely dry parts when you assemble a bottle.

2. After washing, help the bottle parts dry completely. Make sure to get all water out of the tan pyramid-looking part and the blue valve. A bit of water can get trapped inside the empty space that runs through it. Best system is to run them through the dishwasher AND then let them dry for another hour on the counter too, so they are completely dry. That's the most important part.

3. If you warm up a bottle, heat it with ONLY the flat white screw-on lid on the bottle. Don't include the nipple or valve when you warm it up. If you use the steamer, then dry off the bottle completely when you take it out, including the grooves where the cap screws on. Assemble the bottle ONLY after the liquid is warmed use only completely dry parts.

Never ever heat a fully assembled bottle. Warming liquid forces condensation up into the valve, and then the bottle will leak all over the place. Never do it.

That did it for us. We never had another leak. Hope that helps!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 13, 2011
In the first month and a half of my baby's life, we went through an enormous challenge trying to breastfeed, but, due to low milk supply (yes, I tried Fenugreek and a bunch of other stuff!), switched to mostly formula. We experimented with a bunch of bottles, so here is a comparison review:

Least Favorite: The First Years Breastflow The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle 3-Pack, 5 Oz

We tried the Breastflow first because it was recommended by my lactation specialist as being the closest to the breast. In that respect, it does have an advantage. I haven't seen any other bottles on the market designed to mimic the mother's nipple the way these are. However, there were other problems with this bottle that ultimately made it my least favorite. Primarily, the flow was extremely variable. At times we would find it was flowing so fast my daughter would be dribbling everywhere, and then at the next feeding it would be so slow she could barely get anything out. This was ultimately very frustrating and we decided to move on.

Just Okay: Playtex VentAire Playtex BPA Free VentAire ADVANCED Wide Bottles 9 oz - 3 Pack (Colors Vary)

The second type of bottle we tried was the VentAire. We stuck with the wide nipple to hopefully continue to support breastfeeding. Luckily for us, though, our baby adapted really well to different types of nipples and didn't really have more trouble latching after switching to primarily using bottles. The nipple shape may be a bigger issue for some babies. We liked the flow of the VentAire better since it seemed more consistent. However, the nipples were constantly getting clogged! Some occasional clogging is inevitable if you're using formula, but we found ourselves having to unclog before almost every feeding, then sometimes in the middle of the feeding as well. It was frustrating to us and to our baby when her meal got interrupted.

Our Favorite: Dr. Brown's Dr. Brown's BPA Free Polypropylene Natural Flow Wide Neck Bottle, 8 oz - 3-Pack

The Dr. Brown's have definitely been our favorite bottles overall. The flow of the Level 1 nipple was very consistent and when our daughter turned 3 months old we switched to the Level 2 with much success. It is very rare that we have a clogged nipple or a leak, although those things do happen once in a while. It is a little bit of a hassle to clean the extra parts, but the dishwasher racks are very helpful with that.

A note on gas:

Both VentAire and Dr. Brown's claim to help reduce gas and spit-up. I have no idea if either made any difference with our daughter. She spat up sometimes before we switched to these bottles, and she still spits up sometimes now. As our pediatrician says, "It's what babies do." People who have had babies with severe colic or other issues may have been able to notice a bigger change due to the bottle design, but we didn't see much.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 16, 2011
If you are looking for the best option out there for reducing gas/colic/spit-up, this is your answer. We have tried NUK, Playtex Drop-Ins, Avent, BornFree, Dr. Weil, and Soothie bottles. When it comes to reducing gas, especially for newborns, these are the clear winner. My son had a really sensitive stomach (we even used sensitive formula), and these were the only thing that helped. My daughters weren't as sensitive, but I noticed a clear change in the amount of gas and spit up they had after using these.

Once you understand how the internal vent works, it makes sense why these bottles are the best for tiny bellies. While the Avent is also very popular, you can see how the Avent system allows air to come in underneath formula at the end of an inverted bottle where the nipple meets the bottle. This leads to teeny, tiny, micro-bubbles that filter up in the formula. While all of my babies were able to use Avents later in infancy without trouble, those tiny bubbles were troubling as newborns. Dr. Brown's bottles don't suck air in, but prevent any vacuum in the first place.

However, Dr. Brown's are not the most streamlined bottles if you just need a run-of-the-mill feeding device, particularly for older infants. There are many parts with tiny holes and crevices to clean (they even provide you with a q-tip sized brush for such pieces), and there are occasional malfunctions that lead to spills. If you fill the bottle above the "fill" line, you can count on a spill.

My solution to the cleaning issue if you don't put bottles in the dishwasher (I don't when my babies are real little, don't want any detergent residue..), is to rinse the bottles after feedings to remove the majority of the formula. Then I put the bottles in a hot, soapy soak in the sink. If I've rinsed the bottles well enough after feedings, I don't worry about getting every piece with a brush every time. For a newborn however, I boil the pieces to further sterilize them after the soapy soak.

I much more prefer the wide neck to the standard neck Dr. Browns, as they are soooo much easier to dump formula scoops into and much easier to wash with a bottle brush. I also like the wider nipple as we eventually "graduate" to Avent and Dr. Weil bottles once my babies seem to have better digestion. My two daughters loved the wide neck design, but my son had a hard time latching on to the wide nipple shape for some reason. We used the standard-neck Dr. Brown's with him during his early months; he had no problem switching to Avent at about 4 months, even though the nipples were quite different.

Once my babies have more developed digestive systems and aren't so sensitive to gas, we pack up all the Dr. Brown's their many peices and move on to Avent and Dr. Weil bottles, which have a much more streamlined, simple air-vent system (nipple, ring, bottle). My babies have had no problem switching around 4-5 months of age, and its easier to put up with all the Dr. Brown's pieces when you know you don't have to use them forever. Of course, this means that we own twice as many bottles...but this way we get the best of both worlds -- the colic/gas relief of Dr. Brown's during the newborn phase, and the convenience of Avent for the rest of infancy.

I would suggest any expecting parent buy at least a few of these to try with a newborn. For anyone looking for a better bottle option for colic or gas, you've found your answer!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Background: I purchased this as a recommendation from a physical therapist for babies. As a first-time to-be mom, I scoured Internet and Amazon reviews for hours prior to purchasing any and every baby-related item and this is what I bought to prepare.

I bought a set of 6 with different nipple levels. My baby is now 5 1/2 months old and I would've bought *different* bottles earlier had it not been for the cost investment I made and the usual, you know, being a busy mom. Why I don't like these:

- LEAKY. Stains my furniture, clothes, baby clothes, car, diaper bag, and you can see where I have been in the house by following the drip trail on my tile = more mopping ugh. Yes, the company & others on here have made suggestions but come on moms & moms-to-be, do you have the time or convenience? I personally don't and when I need to make a bottle because my baby is hungry...forget about those suggestions.

- WASHING. Each bottle consists of: a nipple, nipple ring, a lid, a blue valve, the plastic/rubber thing to connect the valve & the actual bottle. That is 6 pieces & multiply that by the # of bottles you have. I have washed all of these by hand multiple times with bottle and nipple brush (for not only nipple but the valve and rubber connector) prior to steaming in my munchkin steamer. That is a TON of work on a repetitive basis.

- Can't tell a difference between this for gas/air prevention between this and a cheap bottle I was given that was used as a prop at my baby shower. I love the cheap bottle when it's clean instead. Therefore, I am ordering something else today. A lady stopped me in the bottle aisle at Target the other day and asked me what bottles I used. I told her and she said she was in the baby aisle looking to replace her Dr. Brown's because of leaking. We shared a total mom moment.

I wanted to share my experience because I am frustrated and honest. I am a tired mom and just needs what works & this took time from my time with baby to share. I am sure the company has it's reputation for good reasons but this was just my experience.
on February 21, 2011
The wide neck bottle provides a wider nipple. My baby was originally using the playtex drop-ins, but we had to switch because of his acid reflux, the transition to these nipples was effortless, he did not even know the difference. Also, the nipple is like his soothie pacifier nipple. great purchase!
on February 28, 2013
Our daughter wasn't overly colicky, and we found these bottles and the less complex venting bottles (Born Free, Avent, Tommee Tippee) to all be adequate for controlling the air she ingested. With all bottles providing equal air venting, there were a few things that made these bottles less popular than the others in our house.
-The measurements on the side are VERY difficult to read. Other bottles have the markings printed, these are just raised on the plastic. You have to be at the correct angle to read the numbers, which results in constantly holding the bottle up and tilting it to get the angle just right so you can see the measurement numbers. This was the biggest reason we did not like these bottles.

-The bottles are very large compared to other bottles that hold the same amount. I believe this is necessary for their venting system to work correctly, but it makes it more difficult to get in close to the baby when feeding. I preferred bottles that let me cuddle the baby in close. (I posted a picture of the 4 ounce Dr. Brown's next to the 4 ounce Avent so you can see the difference.)

-My daughter leaked milk out the sides of her mouth when using this bottle. She did this with every bottle we tried, so I'm not sure that really reflects on the bottle, but if you are having similar issues don't expect this bottle to fix them.

I've heard many people complain about cleaning these bottles, and they do come with a little pipe cleaner to help clean them, but I never had to use it. We disassemble and rinse our bottles as they are used and wash them in the dishwasher. All the pieces came out clean with no further effort. I think perhaps they have a reputation for being hard to clean because the pieces are smaller on the standard neck bottle (especially the larger standard neck, which has a long thin straw). I have also included pictures of the pieces so you can get a sense of their size and the cleaning involved.
review image review image
on November 7, 2010
We wanted to try Dr. Brown's bottle cause our LO is gassy and spits up more often than we like. I was debating to get the wide neck or the standard. The wide neck made so much more sense since the nipple is more of a modern design (like Avent and others) and Dr. Brown claims its more closer to actual breast nipples. In addition, the wide neck provides a good large opening for easy mixing of formula.

However, we have a big problem with this model. The standard version has a MADE IN USA shield tagged in front of the box, this one doesn't. Upon closer inspection, we found out this unit was made in China. We went back to the store where we purchased from and as it turns out, all of the wide neck bottles are made in China. I guess Handi-Craft decided to bring their newer line manufacturing to China. In my opinion, its a big mistake. We like Dr. Brown's bottle, our baby doesn't need to burp as much compared to Avent. For whatever reason, they decided they need to compete in price or increase profit.... what a shame. Quality control in China its almost a guessing game. Just remember the recent lead paint in toys and melamine laced milk powders (domestic products within China) I'm sure parents will pay a premium for products that's made in a place where quality controls matters.

Avent is made in England, Born-Free is made in Israel. They all have vented bottles that reduces colics. I will try out the standard version but not sure if our baby will get used to the smaller nipple and latch on. If that doesn't work, guess which brand I'm going to switch now... what a shame.

EDIT: Yes, the product works great, our LO spits up/vomits less and the level 1 nipples flows slower than Avent's lvl 1, which is a good thing for our LO, she tends to choke on Avent's. She burps much less now which is a good thing but its harder on us since we expect her to burp so the burping session is longer than usual now. Maybe later we will feel comfortable not trying to burp her for that long.

We also tried the standard version, unfortunately, our LO won't take to its smaller nipple and mixing formula is not easy with its narrower neck.

Overall, Dr. Brown's wide neck is the best bottle for reducing colic and gases. We just can't trust where its made. We even wrote to the company to express our disappointment in which they responded assuring us that all products coming from overseas are vigorously tested by 3rd party. Even with that assurance, we can't be 100% confidence with its quality.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2014
The graduation on the side of the bottle is AT LEAST 1/2 oz off. I measured the amount of water with multiple devices (Pyrex Berzelius beakers, graduated cylinders, pyrex cooking cup, weighing scale) and Dr. Brown's bottles are off. For example, 3 1/2 oz on Dr. Brown are actually 4 oz liquid. So, parents, beware that you might feed your child a more concentrated formula if you use the graduation on these bottles (which may be conducive to more gas and digestive/intestinal problems). Make sure you measure the amount of water, before mixing, in a different cup. ADVENT glass bottles have good graduation, even if the paint tends to flake after multiple boilings.
on December 5, 2014
Let me start out by saying that I love the standard Dr. Brown's bottles. This is my second child that I've used them with. Never had a problem with leaks unless the milk went down/up the stem. I don't even mind washing all the parts as I'm washing my breast pump parts all the time anyways. The wide neck bottles have been a whole new experience though. I just received them today and am already done with them. A total waste of money and here's why...

Baby cannot get a good seal around the nipple and I can hear him sucking in air. My son has been miserable for the past few hours because of the gas trapped in his belly. It's been 4 hours since his last feeding with these awful bottles. He refused his last feed even from a standard bottle and was so uncomfortable that he wouldn't sleep because he's so full of air. He's only 2 weeks old! Babies sleep around the clock at this age. He just finally let out several burps and fell peacefully to sleep. I will not risk that ever again! So I'm throwing the bottles in the trash, unless I can find a different nipple to use with them. I was hoping that I could use these to help get him back to the breast, but I'll just keep pumping and using the standard Dr. Brown's bottles.
on January 7, 2009
We used these for our daughter--almost three now--while she was a baby. She likes the nipples on Dr. Brown's more than anything else (maybe becuse the shape or they were softer). She never had colic and rarely gas--so maybe the bottles helped. I liked the wide-necked ones best for her. The bottles occassionally leaked, but if we made sure all the parts were very dry, it wasn't routine. I'll buy more for my new baby due in April.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations