Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 1 Set|Color: One Color|Change

on January 2, 2011
We just started pumping and introducing a bottle in preparation for my return to work. Our 4 1/2 week old daughter took this bottle with zero hesitation and is now going back and forth between breastfeeding and bottle beautifully. All the parts sounded intimidating but are actually very easy to use and clean. Neither my husband or I had ever bottle fed a baby before, and we figured it out without difficulty.

For any other first-time, clueless parents out there: this set comes with a size 1 (newborn)nipple attached to each bottle (5 total) and 2 size 2 nipples that are extras. I didn't see anywhere in the description that said the size 1's were included (just listed the size 2 nipples)and having never done this before we didn't realize the Size 1's came as part of the bottle, so I ordered the newborn size separately. Oops, but we'll use them.
0Comment|294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2005
I think the Dr. Brown bottles helped because my son did not have a lot of gas but you really only need them for the first 3 months of life for your baby. After 3 months, the baby's intestines have matured and they do not suffer from painful gas anymore. After that, you are stuck cleaning the many parts to this bottle if you buy a ton of them like I did. I would just buy the small bottles for your newborn and then try a bottle that's easier to clean when s/he gets older and needs a larger bottle.
22 comments|177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2005
I feel a little silly writing a long review on a baby bottle, but I had to write a review about these. We bought most bottles out there for our son - you try to match the nipple shape to the mom if you are breastfeeding. Most bottles claim they help prevent "colic." Most don't, actually. Bottles are a relatively simple thing and they can only really work to prevent colic in a few ways - mechanical or engineered. Bottles fall into a few types - Playtex with liner type, regular old bottles (Gerber, Avent) and Dr. Brown's. The idea to prevent colic is to keep air from getting in the bottle. As baby feeds, the vacuum created in the bottle draws in air through the nipple as is evidence from the bubbles rising up. If baby ingests these bubbles (which they will if they drink the entire bottle) it can tend to cause gas. Bottles like Avent and Gerber do not prevent this problem (the anti-colic is from the latch on to the nipple not in bottle design - a dubious claim in my opinion as I watched bubbles rise up into the pumped milk. The Playtex bottles do but the liners are disposable (and costly over the long run) and those silly vent disk thingys did not work for us. The liners, however, do work as they collapse down as baby sucks and do not seem to allow air back in.

Dr. Brown's bottles, on the other hand, worked exactly as advertised. There are no disposable parts - you just wash everything. They use two extra pieces - a wagon-wheel shaped special vent and a long tube that fits on the vent. The collar that holds the nipple is designed to allow air to flow in from outside, through the wagon-wheel disk and out the tube into the bottle behind all the liquid. This breaks the vacuum and no air gets into the liquid. The system works, and it works very, very well. The bottles come with a small brush as you need to clean out the small tubes in the disk and tube, but it really is not a big deal at all when you are doing dishes by hand (honest). The bottles have never leaked at all and have held up as well as is expected. These bottles are available in narrow and wide - we use the wide because it looks most like Mom. Highly recommended - 5 stars without any reservations.
on May 20, 2010
I have been looking for a bottle that my daughter will not reject. My daughter was using The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Starter Set, but suddenly rejected the bottle. We noticed that she became very gassy with those bottles, so tried the Dr. Brown's bottles, which were recommended by my home daycare provider. I believe that the venting system is important, as the Breastflow nipple would collapse completely while she was drinking, making it harder to draw milk. However, the nipple on the Dr Brown's bottle was so long and narrow my daughter would gag regularly as the nipple hit the back of her throat.

The bottle also leaked from the sides/vent after returning to an upright position even though I filled the bottle below the max fill line.

A little advice: if you are trying to find the perfect bottle for your baby, keep in mind that all babies are different. My son would take ANY bottle without a problem, and now my daughter is on her 4th bottle, and I still haven't found the perfect one. Both of my children were breastfeeding exclusively at the time. I suggest buying single bottles at a store and trying it before ordering large starter kits.
77 comments|221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2010
I recently purchased the BreastFlow by First Years for my 3 wk son. He seemed to drink pretty well from them, but the flow was too fast and the nipples seem to collapse. It was kind of a pain to squeeze the nipple to get the milk back into the bottle.
My friends told me about the Dr. Brown bottles and showed me the nipple flow. I bought some based on my friends recommendation and have fell in love with the bottles. My son drinks slower, has less gas, and does not spit up as much. I would highly recommend these bottles to anyone who breastfeeds and pumps, or breast and formula feed. My son did not realize he was full for 10-15 minutes after using the BreastFlow bottles, with the Dr. Brown's (because of the slower flow nipples that simulate the actual breast flow speed) my son realizes he is full soon after his feeding.
Definately worth the money, wish I would have known about the differences in the compared products nipple flow and I wouldn't have wasted my money on the BreastFlow bottles.
The only downside to the Dr. Brown bottles is that it is more time consuming to wash the bottles because of the extra pieces, but that is minor compared to the satisfaction my son receives from each feeding due to the nipple flow and decreased air intake.
11 comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2005
My son was born 5 weeks early and suffered terribly with acid reflux. I tried other bottles, but these are what worked for us. These bottles cut down on the amount of air my son swallowed in. Less air swallowing meant less burps, which meant less spit up for us!

The bottles are NOT EXTRA work, as some may have you to believe. I have 12 of them, and I simply pop ALL of the parts except the nipples into the dishwasher and everything comes clean with no residue! They are just as easy to clean as any other bottle.

At 11 months, my son still uses them and refuses to give them up for his sipppy cups (but that is another issue...LOL)

Dr. Brown's customer service is excellent too. When the inner tubing melted in the dishwasher, I emailed them and within a week I had a replacemnt tube sent to me for free.
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2015
╠ ☼ Overall: 5/5
╠ ►Product Need: Baby bottle
╠ ►Pros: Vent, 5 bottles w/ caps, 2 sized nipples, quality
╠ ►Cons: Takes longer to clean
╚ ►My thoughts: Look no further for your baby bottles. This is the perfect starter set. Unfortunately we bought other ones before finding this so don’t make the same mistake. My daughter kept choking and constantly had hiccups before buying this. Now we have a great set (actually bought 2 sets) and recommend to everyone. You get 2 smaller size (4oz) and 3 larger sized bottles (8oz). It comes with size 1 nipples and a lid as well as 2 size 2 nipples! You can pump directly into here with most pumps too. Cleaning it is a pain but you get used to that and is worth it. It’s the best set at a great price.
review image review image
on May 4, 2005
My son has bad acid reflux so I've tried every type of bottle out there. These are absolutly the best! They have helped with his spitting up and they are all I use anymore! It takes a little longer to clean them but it's well worth it. Would recommend to everyone!
on March 22, 2011
I love these feeding bottles. I used different types of feeding bottles (Dr.Brown's, AVENT, Playtax) and Dr.Brown's is the winner. The ad said "Reduces colic, spit up, burping and gas". I have to say ' it is true'.
on May 7, 2005
After buying one bottle of every brand sold..to find out which would work for my son, I found Dr.Browns to be the absolute BEST! Yes they are a pain to clean with the vents but your baby will not be screaming in pain from gas after eating...really these work! When the vents get nasty I just toss them and buy the replacements..they aren't that expensive!