Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on December 6, 2011
I have been immersed in Dr Gundry's book `Diet Evolution' for 2 days. Dr Gundry is one more highly qualified medical specialist who is on the prevention (not survival) wave.

Dr Gundry explains clearly how our genes work in relation to our need for food. He explains why our genes have responded to our changed diets in our Western world, which has created so much chronic disease (heart disease, cancer, arthritis, strokes, diabetes).
The book is optimistic - it is possible to trick our genes into reversing chronic disease. Dr Gundry provides patient testimonials of people of all ages - some with obesity and some `normal' weight.

Dr Gundry provides eating plans for each phase, as well as what I think is the most crucial - an eating plan for the rest of our life.
Dr Gundry recommends that we eat meat that has grazed on plant food (not factory fed grain) to ensure that we humans get all the nutrients we need. You may be surprised to learn that we not only get protein from meat - plant food contains protein too. He also advises topping up with nutritional supplements and provides dosage recommendations.

This is a book for people who are serious about getting healthy for life and/or longevity because it does take dedication and willpower to change from our lazy habits. But it is so worth it, because the people who have already made the change are not only enjoying true health, they have more energy and are getting more enjoyment from living.
on December 11, 2009
This is more about lifestyle changes and not a diet per se. Book was great to read, makes perfect sense, and wakes you up to what is happening to your body when you eat different foods. I also liked the stories of his patients. My only disappointment was that he references his website in his book, but the website has no information at all. Now the website is shut down. Not very good follow through for those of us wanting to improve our health.
on September 9, 2009
Dr. Gundry mines concepts from evolutionary primate biology to support a common-sense approach to "diet-as-best-medicine". His point of view as an accomplished heart surgeon lends a compelling practical aspect to his arguments that are not often found in diet management literature. The best part is that his suggestions deliver rapid substantial results. It is both readable and do-able.
on December 28, 2012
I'm in my early 60s and have been experiencing a lot of medical issues that are mostly minor, except an unexplained rising of cholesterol. Despite doing all the "right" things, such as losing weight, getting more exercise, not eating eggs/red meat, etc., etc., my cholesterol level was still going up. I was determined not to start taking statins, such as lipitor, and luckily my sister told me about Dr. Gundry's book. I learned so much from his book! Dr. G's writing style is very friendly (not too heavy in "medicalese") and honest. Since beginning the dietary changes, which I have found to be very doable, I have lost 20 pounds and my cholesterol has dropped 20 points. It has only been three months and I feel like a new person. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to live a truly healthy, delicious, and long life.
on July 1, 2013
Great theroy, makes a lot of sense. So many people eat
wrong and this explains why and how to fix it.
People dont realize that a little cheating every day
adds up to a lot of cheating by the end of the week.
on November 20, 2013
this is a great book, in amazing shape. I am so grateful for amazon making awesome used books available for me to own. I am also grateful to sellers such as this one that I got the book from for selling with integrity. I love owning this book and use it frequently to reference for my food choices for me and my kids. it has proven to work for us.
on March 17, 2014
We have benefitted greatly following Dr. Gundry's health advice, experiencing some remarkable improvements despite advanced age. Dr. Gundry is a unique individual in that he is a renowned heart & lung surgeon who practiced "conventional" medicine for many years before becoming interested in a natural diet approach to good health. I suggest looking up his brief bio on his website or in the introduction to this book - he transformed his own health with this diet so seems to be his own first success story. How to use diet and exercise to make your genes work for you instead of against you - that's the focus of the book.
on August 13, 2015
i have lost a few pounds. This guy's theories are pretty much the same as some low carb diets but his 3 phase is a bit wacky. Sounds like you get to live on raw kale for the rest of you life but you will love it. The genetic part makes some sense but some of it is a stretch. I really should reread some of the medical stuff as it is a lot to absorb. Basically, eat lean, no or low carbs, low fruit cause of the sugar, Even whole grains should be eaten is small amounts. Nothing new except the " thin the Herd" ideas about eating for feast of famine.
on October 2, 2013
If you are interested in making positive changes in your diet, I really cannot recommend any book more highly than this one. I have been on the diet for 6 months now, and I love it! I have never been so lean/cut in my life before, and I have so much more energy.
on November 8, 2013
I personally know someone who is a patient of Dr. Gundry who lost a significant amount of weight on his program and is symptom free with their Crohn's disease. Additionally, their lipid profile has vastly improved.